1.    #1  
    Having owned just about every palm that has been made including handspring, sony and even a few pocket pcs I have always searched for a way to have both a cell phone and pda in one device in a way that both were actually useable.
    After months of reading reviews and comments around the web and following discussions on this and other boards I finally jumped this week, when Amazon started dumping thier inventory of 180s, and bought one.
    Since it arrived early this week I have spent nearly every waking moment with it trying to evaluate weather or not I found the pda/phone for me. The phone seems to fit fine, voicestream has decent coverage in my area and so far the typical routes I take are covered well.
    One of the best things about the palm os, and the reason for my continued loyalty after having owned 3 pocket pcs, is it's simplicity. I really enjoy being able to pickup the unit and in just a couple of seconds enter a todo or meeting with contact info and alarm in what has become as natural as writing with pen and paper. Unfortunately I can't seem to accomplish these simple task on the treo nearly as easily. In fact it seems a lot like trying to play the piano in mittens, fumbling and bumbling with the stylus, keyboard, finger, fingernail and a smudgy screen. So as much as I would like to make this baby work but I am about ready to throw in the towel and send it back to amazon.
    IMHO this device would have been nearly perfect if HS had included a simple tab key. Some urestricted way to move between dialog buttons in the different apps. Maybe I have missed something and this does exist, if so maybe you folks could set me straight.
    I have considered a 180g but amazon isn't selling them and it looks like grafitti is on it's way out of the handspring camp so warranty replacement might be nonexistent in the near future.
    If anyone could share some insight into how to or how you use your treo w/keyboard efficently I would like very much to hear it.
    True, there are many situations that will require tapping the screen. I also wish there was more OS-level integration of the keyboard, especially with form navigation. But, even PowerJog can only do certain things. Ah well, such is life.

I'm sure you know that in the core-4 apps, you can press just the scroll buttons to move between the entry fields when making a new entry.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    TourdeWolf,

I agree that it's somewhat lacking.

However, if you press the blue option key and the "return" key at the same time, it's the same as clicking the default button.
    Hi,
    Found that you can TAB using the SHIFT and SPACE key (click one after the other).
    Unsure if this is what you're looking for
    Hussin
    Malaysia PalmOS User Group
    http://mypug.org
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    That is an interesting feature your discovered there but I don't think that is exactly what we are looking for. What we both are looking for is a way to go to the "next field" when inputting information. I know that that down button does this on some apps but on other apps (like ActionNames) it actually does page down instead of "next field." Can any developers out there think of a way to program a button, option app button or something to do "next field"? It is really annoying to have to tap the next field when you are entering a bunch of info on a contact. Thanks,
    --Denny
    One of the best things about the palm os, and the reason for my continued loyalty after having owned 3 pocket pcs, is it's simplicity. I really enjoy being able to pickup the unit and in just a couple of seconds enter a todo or meeting with contact info and alarm in what has become as natural as writing with pen and paper. Unfortunately I can't seem to accomplish these simple task on the treo nearly as easily. In fact it seems a lot like trying to play the piano in mittens, fumbling and bumbling with the stylus, keyboard, finger, fingernail and a smudgy screen.
    I agree that there is need for this, something similar to what the jog rocker does in the 270's Blazer.

However, If you get to know everything that is doable without tapping the screen and all the menu shortcuts, which you can enter without really using the menu by using the :menu: key, you can really minimize the need for tapping the screen.

For example, you can enter an appointment complete with an attached note without touching the screen as follows: hit the Datebook button, scroll to the day you want, start typing the start time, e.g., enter "530" for 5:30, "p" for pm, hit the scroll down botton to highlight the end time, enter "730", enter option-return to exit, type your appointment text, hit :menu:A to add a note, type your note, hit option-return again, and voila: a complete appt. w/o touching the screen.

Granted, you can't do EVERYTHING without touching the screen, but you can do a lot, hopefully enough to stop you from returning your device
    Last edited by silverado; 06/29/2002 at 07:42 PM.
    Is there any way to create and send an SMS without the stylus? I haven't been able to.
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    Is there any way to create and send an SMS without the stylus? I haven't been able to.
    Sure! Hold the :menu: button and click N, pick or type the recepient's address, hit the scroll down button once, type the message, then hit Option-Return. Done!

Note that you can move the cursor back and forth by holding down the option button and using the scroll buttons.