1.    #1  
    Has anybody used a lawyer software that allows you to keep track of court dates and deadlines. What I really need is a program that allows me to keep track of court dates, after they've happened. An example would be that I have a case on 6-12-02 that gets continued to 7-1-02, what i want to do is schedule the new case without having to change the date on the original palm entry, therby losing the date of 6-12, or having to duplicate the entry.
    I ran across this recently, but haven't had a chance to try it out myself. Thus, I am not sure if it will help.

Attorney's Book by WebOn

Author's website: www.webon.co.in/palm/ab.htm

PalmGear:
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m?prodID=39842

Let me know if this helps.

Walter
  3.    #3  
    I tried this earlier. It's ok but doesn't really work, putting the info is more time consuming than it worth.
    Thanks for the post
    tberidon,

Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. The paucity of good legal sw is unfortunate, especially considering the abundance of medical sw.
    Originally posted by drxacto
    tberidon,

Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. The paucity of good legal sw is unfortunate, especially considering the abundance of medical sw.
    Your a lawyer and you call yourself dr. x-acto?

Have you read this
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe,

Thanks for the link. I am familiar with most of the mentioned apps. I agree with tberidon that an app which handles scheduling of court dates, deadlines, and filing dates (possibly rules based for the jurisdiction) would be extremely useful.

As for the drxacto part, went to medical school before law school. Before that graduate school. As my family likes to say, "professional scholar!"
    Originally posted by tberidon
    Has anybody used a lawyer software that allows you to keep track of court dates and deadlines. What I really need is a program that allows me to keep track of court dates, after they've happened.
    My dear colleague,

We've been looking in the wrong area. Turns out, the magic we seek lies in a "standard" program---
    ActionNames (about $25). I had to play around with it for awhile to figure out how to exploit it for the stated purpose, but, Lawdhamercy, was it worth it!!! Example: you tap one option, "FollowUp", which takes you to a screen where all the info is already filled in, and you just pick a new date, and add notes if desired. The original notation is retained, and this new "continuance" data is added.

Too long to spell out the how-to here. But it does everything needed, down to a history list per client, WITH associated hours! The trick is to think through your organizational scheme first-- i.e., I set up a contacts category "CaseFiles"; then I added case names. A contact link appears in virtually every screen, so you get maximum organization for the one-time entry you make. I'll work on a walk-thru how-to text this weekend, and come back here to post the URL.

Meanwhile, this suggestion: download the fully functional 30-day trial version from PalmGear. I strongly recommend that you also d/l the associated 500 icons Deluxe package [trial; $5 to buy]-- it ain't about being cute; those icons are golden for 30-day calendar views, to quickly distinguish the type of things scheduled for assorted days. Also, the trial version of a new ($7) bundle-- SelectDate and SelectTime [run searches on the terms to get the page]. Both revise the standard date/time dialogs, i.e., SelectDate includes-- be still my heart-- a date calculator. Enter start date, # of days/weeks/months/years, then tap calculate. You're led to that date, so you can enter your data. Sweet!

Bottom-line: after wrestling with a PocketPC for a couple of years, it wasn't until I switched over to a Treo, with the above software, that I truly began to appreciate the incredible power of PDAs. The thing paid for itself within a week, since I can now EASILY keep track of everything work-related.

Back at cha later . . .
    Webstar,

Great recommendations! In looking at ActionNames, I see it sync's with Time Matters -- the case managment desktop software my firm uses. Terrific, thanks!
    WebSter, not Webstar. My appologies!
  10.    #10  
    I just got the new actionnames so I could make calls easier, what you say about the contacts makes sense I'll be trying it tonite. One question though if you use Outlook can you see the icons from action name on the PC entry
    Originally posted by tberidon
    One question though if you use Outlook can you see the icons from action name on the PC entry
    Hmmm, dunno since I quit using Outlook in favor of the Palm Desktop [I use a Blackberry for all my mail, so "any excuse" to get rid of the overhead and constant virus threats]. I can tell you this much-- when using the Palm Desktop, I've noticed: everything syncs beautifully, but there's a "note" for each entry- on the desktop- which contains the ActionNames icon code. Presumably, it would be a similar deal with Outlook. Then again, maybe not-- there's an option which allows you to dictate "storage" specifics, depending on your sync software [in manual]. I'm using "ActionNames", so using one of the others may yield a different result.

Personally, I find those codes distracting, so I quit using the note feature, so I never have to see the stuff. For that reason, I'm currently trying out DayNotez-- made templates to handle all in-out stuff, i.e., faxes, memos, email, letters, calls-- I'll wait another week before I make a final decision. [Love it, but miss the info showing up in the AN history list]

While I'm here, a tip: do yourself a favor-- print out the pdf file included in the ActionNames zip package, and really go through it with a fine tooth comb. A couple of times, in fact. Typically, I don't bother with manuals, but desperation set in. You'll find yourself coming up with all sorts of ideas, as you muddle your way through. . . . P.S. Just received a back issue of the UK print zine, PalmUser, which has an article devoted to ActionNames tips. If I see anything useful, I'll pass it on.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Webster-

I bought and downloaded 500 icons for action names, and installed it. But, in Act Names, I still get the standard icons. Is there a trick to installing or activating it?
    Originally posted by smalis
    Webster-

I bought and downloaded 500 icons for action names, and installed it. .... Is there a trick to installing or activating it?
    Memory: I saw only a few icons with the unregistered demo, so I went back and bought the thing. Installed via sync without hassle. I'm assuming you have the registered version of ActionNames itself (??) Perhaps a look-see at the Users Forums--- DesignsByBert.com

I just posted a query on the appropriate message board, with a link to this thread. Hopefully, we'll get some troubleshooting tips soon.

BTW, do folks still want the cheat sheet I referenced in a previous post?
    Last edited by WebSter; 06/21/2002 at 07:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    OK, I fixed it. If Icons-DTBK4 (or something like that) is present, you cant see the new icons. I guess Action Names uses the date book icons instead of the iambic icons if both are there. So I deleted the DTBK file, and then I saw the new icons.
    Have you looked at Amicus Attorney? I am a trial lawyer who uses Amicus Attorney firm wide (5 lawyers). The calendar and contacts and to do lists sync with my Treo 270. On my computer, you can view the calendar by case, which is real helpful when trying to talk to someone about deadlines on a file. On the Treo, you can change the date of any appointment very simply. I have used it for about 5 years with good results
    I looked at Amicus Attorney. I like its desktop interface better than that of Time Matters and its got a few more features.

However, I can sync wireless email from my T270 with TM. It looks as though AA cannot. The only catch with syncing wireless email is that I must use an email program that uses the Palm Mail conduit. Corsoft Aileron is one of a few programs that does so.
    See Legal category on PDAGreen.com example of the software there Bouvier's law dictionary for Palm OS 1.6
    How do you sync Amicus Attorney with your PDA? We have Amicus Attorney on our PC's at the office. Do you have to buy another program?