1.    #1  
    I'm trying out the unregistered version of Bejeweled, and it's... fun... but I haven't quite figured out how to play it "intelligently" yet. I know some jewels have higher point values than others, so I try to align the ones that have higher values, but beyond that, I haven't really figured out how to strategize. I have the damndest time trying to visualize where and how new jewels will align after I make a move -- I guess I don't have good spatial visualization or spatial memory skills, or whatever. I guess that's why I suck at chess, too...

I know the game has a lot of fans -- do most of you guys tend to strategize your moves, or do you just play pretty randomly? I'm thinking there may be some hints and tips in the registered version that I don't have access to...

Oh, and I've noticed that I get 'bonus' points for certain moves -- what's that about?
    Last edited by leojbramble; 06/15/2002 at 07:50 AM.
    I use bejewelled as mindless entertainment to pass the time while I'm sitting on the shuttle bus going to and from the commuter lot to work. I usually don't play with any kind of strategy, unless I notice that I'm getting close to another top 10 score.

Generally, any match of 3 gems is worth 10 points. If you're lucky, you can match as many as 3 groups of 3 (9 gems) which gives you 10, 20 and 30 points. The more gems you can match, the more points you can score.

You also get even more points if after the gems drop, you get additional matches as a result. Point value on these varies, and I've never bothered to figure out how they're scored. Sometimes you can get nice long cascades and rack up a bunch of points.

In the easy game, each match increments the bonus bar at the bottom. Once it reaches the end, a bunch of gems disappear fora point bonus, plus you get a bonus multplier. This multplies the value of all the matches. I think it goes as high as 4x.

The registered and unregistered versions play exactly the same. The registered version just does away with that nag screen at the beginning.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I'd never paid attention to the bonus bar at the bottom before.

The only other bit of strategy I've picked up is that since new jewels are only filled from the in top down, putting together horizontal links as opposed to vertical ones shifts things around more, which would seem to give you the best chance of finding new linking possibilities and delaying the time before you inevitably run out of possible moves. (This of course applies only to playing in 'untimed' mode.)
    Last edited by leojbramble; 06/15/2002 at 08:45 AM.
    I was addicted to Bejeweled on the PDA til I played it on the web at www.zone.msn.com/bejeweled/ I find the games last too long so I play on the second version. Now you can get your fix on the big screen.
    Funny. I was playing the popcap game for a while on the net and then decided that I needed it for my PDA. Bubblet worked for that for quite a while. Thankfully they eventually came out with the handheld version. I have not played it on the computer since.
    Um here's an actual strategy. When you get "stuck" and couldn't find any gems to lineup (but the game continues so you know there's a way) try flipping your Visor upside down or sideways or whatever... sometimes you'll see a way from a different angle from what was not apparent before. Great way of minimising loss of time when playing the timed game.

Bejeweled is the most fun & addictive software I've had on my Visor. Ever.

Originally posted by leojbramble
    I'm trying out the unregistered version of Bejeweled, and it's... fun... but I haven't quite figured out how to play it "intelligently" yet. I know some jewels have higher point values than others, so I try to align the ones that have higher values, but beyond that, I haven't really figured out how to strategize. I have the damndest time trying to visualize where and how new jewels will align after I make a move -- I guess I don't have good spatial visualization or spatial memory skills, or whatever. I guess that's why I suck at chess, too...

I know the game has a lot of fans -- do most of you guys tend to strategize your moves, or do you just play pretty randomly? I'm thinking there may be some hints and tips in the registered version that I don't have access to...

Oh, and I've noticed that I get 'bonus' points for certain moves -- what's that about?