Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been enjoying and showing off my new Treo 270 for a couple of days and last night I finally decided to install the rest of my other apps - Chrome, Pocket Quicken, Splash ID, & Splash Photo. I also activated for the first time my alarms in my Big Clock.

This morning I heard the alarm but my screen was blank (or dark) and when I tried the other buttons, the screen remained dark. The unit is operational - phone specially but no screen. Tried a soft reset but didn't help. Looks like my back light is burned out because when I look really hard, I could see a little bit of a shadow of what's on the screen, but not enough to even read anything.

Any similar experiences out there? I'm just getting ready to call Handspring. What a bummer!!
    Ed
    same exact problem!!!!!!

Better call Handspring ASAP; 3-7 days before they ship!!!!
    Ditto...
    I received my 270 today. Now, after five hours of playing around (moving all of my old stuff moved over and tweaking the configuration), my screen has gone black.

Back to the old Prism+VP <grrr!>
    uh-oh. Bad trend building.

Kupe
    A very, very bad trend is growing . . . I had the very same problem. I called Handspring, and they placed an order for advanced replacement. Then, the next day, they called and left a message that due to supply problems, they had to cancel my order, and place a new one. When I called, I was assured that my replacement unit would be shipped in a day or two.

I suspect that they either (1) have a serious production problem and are waiting for new units to come in, or (2) with units in short supply, would rather ship one to the next person waiting on the list (and charge their card) than 'waste' scarce inventory on customers whose money has already been collected.
    Hmm.... I (literally) just got off the phone with tech support - they just told me my replacement unit would arrive within two business days.

I wonder if I'll be receiving a "sorry, all out" message.
    I don't mind waiting, if they're working to correct the problem - I'd rather get a unit that works than a unit that will probably fail with the same problem.
    Aaaaargh!! I've only had my 270 since Thursday (today is Sunday) and whilst typing a note, the screen went blank

If you hold it in front of you and stand under a light you can just about see the LCD, but I guess it's the same problem as everyone else and the backlight has blown.

By the sounds of it this is happening a worrying amount of times to people. Looks like I'll be straight on the phone tomorrow morning....
    Goodness! I guess I was right, we all did receive prototypes or beta versions of the Treo. That majorly sucks. We all paid $499 for something that doesn't really work right. Either it has a backlight problem or it has a stupid hanging up with the headset problem.

Handspring obviously doesn't have a good Quality Control department. What happened?????????

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Yes, you may notice I posted about this issue a week ago.

I'm still waiting for my new unit. Handspring tell me there is a supply problem but think I should see one in the next week (I'm not holding my breath)!
    After my post from last night, I have just called tech support. They seem helpful enough - My replacement turns up in 5-7 days apparently (although having just read Bradsjm's post I could be waiting longer!! )

I pointed them in the direction of this forum just to highlight that there appears to be a common problem here....
    Last edited by Gizzer; 06/17/2002 at 10:23 AM.
    Originally posted by edkalama
    I've been enjoying and showing off my new Treo 270 for a couple of days and last night I finally decided to install the rest of my other apps - Chrome, Pocket Quicken, Splash ID, & Splash Photo. I also activated for the first time my alarms in my Big Clock.

This morning I heard the alarm but my screen was blank (or dark) and when I tried the other buttons, the screen remained dark. The unit is operational - phone specially but no screen. Tried a soft reset but didn't help. Looks like my back light is burned out because when I look really hard, I could see a little bit of a shadow of what's on the screen, but not enough to even read anything.

Any similar experiences out there? I'm just getting ready to call Handspring. What a bummer!!
    Did you receive your new unit yet????? I think we should "register" our serial numbers with Treocentral(just the last 4 or 5 digits) to see if there is a trend in messed up Treos.

What do you guys think?

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I may have set a record. I was jumping for joy when FedEx delivered my 270 this morning after ordering it using standard (free) delivery late Thursday evening. I guess Handspring is shipping all orders overnight.

Charged it up for 3 hours, then installed a few apps after my initial Hotsync. Not 5 minutes after syncing, I turn my phone on, and the screen is black.

What's worse is that I was on my way out of town until Friday. I'm more than p****d off just a tad bit. I've tried everything short of a hard reset to get the light back on, but I have a feeling it's hardware related. This is really a terrible problem to have in brand-new units!!

Casio had this problem with their E-200 PPC when it initially shipped...everyone's backlight was going out. That device at least had a reflective screen, so you were able to see the screen normally in bright light. It's extremely difficult to see this screen without a backlight.

My replacement is coming, but has anyone beat my 5-10 minutes of use before "no backlight"?
  13.    #13  
    Did not get my replacement yet altho the CSR at Handspring confirmed that a unit is on the way (according to their computer) but he could not give me a tracking number. In the meantime, my unit is still fully operational except for the blank screen. Under direct sunlight or artificial light I can still see what's on the screen but it's not fun. No sense getting ticked off at this point. However, should my replacement do the same stuff, I will send it back in a heartbeat, get a full refund, and then stick with my Prism/Visorphone for the meantime until the bugs are gone.

I have confidence that Handspring's top management is closely monitoring all the returns and complaints specially at this early stage of a new product launch. In my opinion the Treo line could well make it or break it for them, so there is no need to help them out in tracking serial numbers, etc.
    Ed
    I'm with you, edkalama - should my replacement go bad, I'll be returning the whole thing and sticking with my old Prism+VP.

I'll just wait for "the next big thing" - maybe somebody will come up with a way to turn a Clie into a phone.
    Originally posted by LizB
    I'll just wait for "the next big thing" - maybe somebody will come up with a way to turn a Clie into a phone.
    You might consider a Bluetooth Phone-Handheld combination. That'll work for you. Of course, it won't be with a Handspring product as they've pretty much decided to ignore the future and skip Bluetooth technology altogether.

This combo works well with my Motorola 270C and Audiovox Maestro, for about the same cost as a Treo 270. Nice to check mail on my handheld while my phone stays in my pocket. My Treo 180 is collecting dust now - I'm back with Verizon and out from under Voicestream.

Kupe
    Today it has been 1 week since I requested a replacement for the black screen condition. I am told that the only reason that I am getting it so "fast" is because they changed the "return" to a new order. This is apparently because the return department has no 270s for replacement. Buyer beware.
    Well, seems Handspring "lost" my first replacement order, so they initiated another one yesterday. Now they're saying they'll be shipping my replacement (a new unit, not a refurb) in "2 or 3 days" - originally, I was told that I'd have my replacement "within 2 business days" (which would have been today). We'll see..... (I'm not holding my breath!)
    You guys will be getting a brand new Treo with all new accessories. Isn't this a good thing? Its always good to have a cheapo backup phone when you are using these things. The negative thing about convergence devices is that two milliopn things can go wrong. As suppose to the one million things when you have the devices separate.
    Im certainly not complaining that I will be getting a brand new replacement rather than a refurb - it's just that I am missing an excellent device that I only had to play with for four days!
    Originally posted by bradsjm
    Yes, you may notice I posted about this issue a week ago.

I'm still waiting for my new unit. Handspring tell me there is a supply problem but think I should see one in the next week (I'm not holding my breath)!

Bradjsm , have you received your replacement yet? Did it ever appear on the RMA tracking page on the UK site?

I called on Monday (today is Thursday) about my replacement and called again on Tuesday just to check it was processed properly - they say it is in the system but I can't track it by the RMA no. even thoug it says it should appear after approx 24 hrs.

Cheers

Gizzer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast