Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks like another one gone down here. I got my Treo 270 last Friday. Worked superbly until the phone section stopped working on Saturday. Phoned for a replacement on Monday (and was told the one week delivery). Continued using it as a PDA for the rest of the week and last night the screen went black. No idea when the replacement is arriving as the RMA section of the UK web site does not work but it looks like I shouldn't hold my breath.

Not bad, 500+ for a device that fails twice within a week. If the replacement doesn't fare better it'll be a refund for not being of merchantable quality that I'll be after. Meanwhile its back to my trusty PalmV that hasn't hiccuped since I got it several years ago (nor the original PalmPilot that preceded it).

Will try support on Monday morning and see if I can get an honest answer out of them. I suspected when it was no questions asked replacement when I first called them.
    Not bad, 500+ for a device that fails twice within a week. If the replacement doesn't fare better it'll be a refund for not being of merchantable quality that I'll be after. Meanwhile its back to my trusty PalmV that hasn't hiccuped since I got it several years ago (nor the original PalmPilot that preceded it).

I'm really hoping that I've made a good investment choice too. Usually if I pay a lot of money for something and it doesn't work I ask for a refund and buy a completely different product. In the case of the Treo though, it's such a good device that I don't want to have to ask for a refund.

I've already invested in the USB cradle, the serial cable (for synchronising at work), the Handspring Belt Clip, & the Handspring Action Pack. That's another 100+ on top of the original purchase price. Another reason for not wanting a refund

Still, ever the optimist - I will just prey that the replacement gives me as much flawless service as your PalmV!!
    I can't remember the last time I saw a consumer product rollout with such a high rate of return on the product due to defects. Those poor folks at Handspring must be pulling out their hair.

Kupe
    Picked up my replacement 270 today (I'd been out of town).
    Looks like they shipped it on Tues, June 18 (the same day I'd called to check on it), so it probably arrived on Wed, June 19 - good turnaround.

Now, I've got my fingers crossed as I get the replacement charged up and loaded with my apps and data.....
    Its not on the web site and I've seen nothing yet :-(

I've sent feedback that the RMA isn't working on the website, except the feedback form gives you an error when you submit it (to which I then sent another feedback to say the feedback is broken). Is it asking too much for someone to check their code?

Originally posted by Gizzer

Bradjsm , have you received your replacement yet? Did it ever appear on the RMA tracking page on the UK site?

I called on Monday (today is Thursday) about my replacement and called again on Tuesday just to check it was processed properly - they say it is in the system but I can't track it by the RMA no. even thoug it says it should appear after approx 24 hrs.

Cheers

Gizzer
    Originally posted by bradsjm
    Its not on the web site and I've seen nothing yet :-(

I've sent feedback that the RMA isn't working on the website, except the feedback form gives you an error when you submit it (to which I then sent another feedback to say the feedback is broken). Is it asking too much for someone to check their code?

I tried the same thing!! In the end I filled out the Product Feedback form and this did work. I also mentioned the fact that you can't actually register a treo 270 as only the 180 & 180g are listed. Since then they replied and have updated the registration page to allow the 270 as an option.

Re your replacement - does that make it over 2 weeks that you've been waiting? If so I'd best not take a deep breath waiting for my replacement as I've only been waiting a week. (Wish they'd say two weeks on the website though as at least I wouldn't get my hope up too early).

I would really appreciate you posting when you do get yours just so I know there's light at the end of the tunnel!
    Add me to the list. Got my 270 on Wednesday, and Sunday night the screen goes black. This is very bad. I was suprised when I was told I was getting free advanced replacement without having to argue.

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to replace that light with one of those high-intensity white LEDs they use in those new penlight thingies...
    Just called Handspring UK support a week after my first call and reported the new addition of the display going down to add to the phone not working.

Checks RMA number - "Your replacement should ship this week" Umm that's what they said last week. "We ship replacements within 14 days" Last week it was a week.

Reported the web RMA tracking still not working. "I'll report it to my supervisor" That's what someone said last week.

Asked whether the failures and the high rate reported here was a batch problem or design problem. "I haven't heard anything about it but I will ask my manager".

So what do I believe?
    Well, now my replacement 270 is being replaced....

The replacement unit's screen (backlight) is still working, but it's giving constant SIM error messages (and won't, of course, connect to my carrier).

I've tested the SIM in my original 270 - works without fail; and it continues to work in my VisorPhone. I've tried installing the SIM using the door from the original 270, doesn't work. I've cleaned the contacts and otherwise examined the unit for any visible differences from the original 270, all to no avail.

So, called tech support today - another replacement is on its way.

(oh well, at least [in the meantime] I can continue to play with the first replacement and get used to working with the Treo as a PDA - it's still a bit awkward after moving from the old standard units)
    You can add me too to the list, This toy gave me just 3 days of play and today the screen went black.

I just hope the replacement unit doesn't have the same problems.
    Can you describe a little bit more about one happened with the SIM card issue? I received my 270 2d ago and right out of the box it didn't recognize the SIM and simply froze when I went to wireless. Works in the phone, and works in the 180. What happened with yours?
    With the SIM card inserted, whenever I turn on wireless mode I get the following error:
    "Please check your SIM card to see if it is damaged or missing. (0x7004)"
    After tapping "OK" to dismiss the error message, the phone shows "Wireless Mode is off."

My SIM appears to be in good physical condition and it works fine in my VisorPhone and my original 270 (the one with the black screen).

I've been able to make occasional (very rare) connections to my carrier, but only for a few seconds at a time.

As stated earlier, I've tried a number of things to remedy the problem; none have worked.

Replacement #2 should have arrived today (they'd told me it might make the Monday shipping deadline, which would have it arriving Tuesday, Wednesday [today] at the latest).... oh, well.
    If replacement #2 doesn't work, I'll hold out for the new Kyocera (provided I can find a good CDMA plan).
    Thanks.. I'm with you.. (but I'll only stand for one replacement - you have much more patience than I do ).
    You guys are killing me with this thread. I picked up the Treo 90 right after it came out and have been so thrilled with it that I was considering an immediate upgrade to the 270. This certainly gives me reason to rethink that decision.

The Treo 90 has had several quality control issues as well. I'm beginning to woder if HS released these products too quickly in order to get out on the market before the competition.

Please keep us updated on the issue.

Best of luck....
    My 270 went dark in one day. After waiting weeks for the dang thing the first time.
    270 #3 arrived today...
    Screen is working. SIM is working. I'll transfer my files to it this evening.

Fingers crossed.......
    Can you recall where your 270's came from .. (Illinois v. Kentucky) I'm just wondering if they are sending out refurbs yet. Afterall, they are certainly getting enough units sent back to start recycling. They told me my replacement was shipped the first day, then when I asked for a tracking # the guy tld me "Airborne is having computer problems and can't provide a #." As luck would have it, my brother works for Airborne and the computer problem siply never happened. When I called back today, another HS guy admitted it hadn't even been shipped. Oh, what a tangled web we weave!
    I don't recall where my first replacement came from (just shipped it back today), but I believe it was brand new... I was sent a complete Treo 270 package from one location, and a return label from another location.

The second replacement might be a refurb... I was only sent the Treo 270 itself; this one appears to have come from California.
    With each successive unit, the serial number has been higher.

Return shipping address was to Solectron for the first unit. This time, the return shipping address is Handspring in California.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12