1.    #1  
    I was scouring the net last night for more info on the CDMA Treo and ran across this article on palminfocenter.com.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=3338

I'm already sold on it being my next phone. 16-bit color would be an awesome bonus, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Maybe that would explain why the 300 is "slightly thicker" than the 270 (as stated in the article from Fortune magazine).

http://www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?...&doc_id=208254

I also read that Sprint PCS paid Handspring to be the exclusive seller of the Treo 300 (for an unspecified time period). Handspring says they expect Sprint PCS to buy 100,000 units in the next year. Sounds like they both expect it to be a big hit. That would be a nice change, to actually see another person with the same phone I have (I can count on one hand the number of pdQ and 6035 users I have run into).
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I've read that PIC article before, but what caught my attention this time was that SMS is listed with the feature set. Normally Sprint phones can only send text messages to other phones on the Sprint PCS network.

The lack of true SMS, the ability to send messages to non-Sprint phones, has always been my biggest reservation about the CDMA model.

Unfortunately, what Sprint calls SMS may only apply to messages received, as the VisorCentral review of the Sprint Wireless Web Digital Link suggests:

The Digital Link also includes an SMS Text Message application. It allows you to receive up to 200 messages. If the message contains a callback number, the SMS app will display a Dial button so that you can quickly contact the sender by phone. Unfortunately, the are no provisions for sending or replying to SMS messages from the SB3000. You can, however, use your favorite email app to send a text message to any Sprint PCS customer by simply addressing it to @messaging.sprintpcs.com.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    I've read that PIC article before, but what caught my attention this time was that SMS is listed with the feature set. Normally Sprint phones can only send text messages to other phones on the Sprint PCS network.

The lack of true SMS, the ability to send messages to non-Sprint phones, has always been my biggest reservation about the CDMA model.

Unfortunately, what Sprint calls SMS may only apply to messages received, as the VisorCentral review of the Sprint Wireless Web Digital Link suggests:

The Digital Link also includes an SMS Text Message application. It allows you to receive up to 200 messages. If the message contains a callback number, the SMS app will display a Dial button so that you can quickly contact the sender by phone. Unfortunately, the are no provisions for sending or replying to SMS messages from the SB3000. You can, however, use your favorite email app to send a text message to any Sprint PCS customer by simply addressing it to @messaging.sprintpcs.com.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Great observation. From the information I have heard, true SMS is going to be a new feature of the Sprint 3G network. This will allow multi-carrier messaging. I do not have much information about this, but I heave heard it is coming. I will keep everyone updated as I hear more.

homer