Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is it probably too much to hope that between the releases of the 270 and 300 that they addressed a lot of these issues? I'm worried that the 300 was probably pretty close to being a finished product before the 270 had been out long enough to allow time for many more physical changes. On the other hand, it sounds like Sprint/Handspring have been working closely together on the 300 for a while... and Handspring has stated that they anticipate Sprint PCS ordering 100,000 units in the next year. Based (arbitrarily) on Sprint PCS paying $400 per unit that would be $40,000,000. For that kind of money it wouldn't surprise me if there a lot of subtle changes from the 270 to the 300. I could be way off base (since I have no idea of the inner workings of the manufacturer/carrier industries) but this is THE first $500 phone aimed at a mass market... and with CDMA I would think that Handspring needs Sprint PCS (and Verizon down the line) just as much as the other way around, if not more.

But, that may just be me trying really hard to be optimistic
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    Although some may be having difficulty with the 270's screen, I'm sure that HAND will make the necessary changes by August. It seems like the current modification focus may be increased battery life, but I'm sure that they could also tweek the screen. 2+ months before introduction allows HAND to send their modifications to the contract manufacturer (I think it's Flextronics), and they could likely incorporate the changes into the assembly process. This may be wishful thinking, but if the introduction of the 300 is as important to their business as we think it is, they will take the time to make the changes. Also, since HAND is going to allow Sprint to market the product for them (I haven't see much Treo advertising) to save marketing dollars for improving cash flow, as a previous poster mentioned, they do have an interest in delivering the best 300 possible. BTW- just bought a 90 - great product, and I still have no idea why anyone would pay $100 more for a m515. It unfortunately shows the power of the brand; something tells me though, as the 90 becomes widely used, that Palm will be playing catch up. A good day to all.
    Originally posted by LouRoc
    Although some may be having difficulty with the 270's screen, I'm sure that HAND will make the necessary changes by August. It seems like the current modification focus may be increased battery life, but I'm sure that they could also tweek the screen. 2+ months before introduction allows HAND to send their modifications to the contract manufacturer (I think it's Flextronics), and they could likely incorporate the changes into the assembly process. This may be wishful thinking, but if the introduction of the 300 is as important to their business as we think it is, they will take the time to make the changes. Also, since HAND is going to allow Sprint to market the product for them (I haven't see much Treo advertising) to save marketing dollars for improving cash flow, as a previous poster mentioned, they do have an interest in delivering the best 300 possible. BTW- just bought a 90 - great product, and I still have no idea why anyone would pay $100 more for a m515. It unfortunately shows the power of the brand; something tells me though, as the 90 becomes widely used, that Palm will be playing catch up. A good day to all.
    Great idea man, but I hate to tell you that both Sprint and Hand are dropping the ball on improving th e300 too much.
    The battery life is the same on the 300 as the 270, and the screen is not obviously different.

I am pretty sure that Sprint is waiting for the next generation of Treo and Hardspring is putting most of their time and effort into this new device. I expect it to only resemble the current Treo lineup. Sprint is going to try to move away from phones that are carrier agnostic (bad spelling i know).

homer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12