1.    #1  
    One thing that I came to love about my Visor's (Deluxe and Prism) was the Shortcut feature... I'll be darned if I can find the shortcut key on the '90... Please help!

Thanks,
    Doug
    On the 180, you get it by typing an 's' then hitting the "..." key and either scrolling down or slecting from the resultant menu.
    Jeff
    It's just like other Treos, but it's not so short anymore.
    type an S (case matters not) then press the ... (list type) button until the shortcut symbol is highlighted. Then you can type your shortcut string, and it will be replaced by the full text when you finish the shortcut.
    The List Type key hides all of the special characters. Most keys have hidden characters, both for the regular letter and for the optional character. Check out the keyboard tips for a complete list of all the special characters and which key they're connected to.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    hehe

JINX! Buy me a coke! ;-)

-Greg
    This is one of those deals where it pays to experiment. I literally performed the OptionKey + character maneuver for each key on the keyboard. Turns out, many are intuitive, i.e.,

press blue option plus the z/colon key, then the list key [...], and one of the pop-ups = semi-colon
    ;

option-g/+ gets you, among other symbols, the amperstand
    &

Neat-oh!
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    ...The List Type key hides all of the special characters. Most keys have hidden characters, both for the regular letter and for the optional character. Check out the keyboard tips for a complete list of all the special characters and which key they're connected to.
    One question. Is there any way I can get :shortcut:- and :shortcut:_ to work. I have two shortcuts assigned on my old Prism which I ported over to my Treo but I can't get it to work. One shortcut is :shortcut: - (shortcut-dash)and the other shortcut is :shortcut: _ (shortcut-underscore). I can't get :shortcut: _ to work because in order to create and underscore I need to first choose the dash then hit the list (...) key, but my Treo will insert thinking I meant :shortcut: -.

Just a minor nuisance I've discovered. You won't be able to assign similar shortcuts if they belong to the same list(...) key.
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    [The List Type key hides all of the special characters. Most keys have hidden characters, both for the regular letter and for the optional character. Check out the keyboard tips for a complete list of all the special characters and which key they're connected to. [/B]
    Can you tell me where these keyboard tips are? I just got my 90, and I can't believe special characters like the "#" are "hidden" behind other special characters....

Thanks.
    Originally posted by harrisupstate

Can you tell me where these keyboard tips are? I just got my 90, and I can't believe special characters like the "#" are "hidden" behind other special characters....

Thanks.

Start a new memo (or anything that takes text input) and then press the menu key (/ home). You can then press G, or navigate the menus to find "Keyboard Help" and tap it. Read the tips. At the bottom of all the tips is a list of where all the special characters are.

But hey, if you get annoyed by the "hidden" character, you can install NewPen and have graffiti right on your screen,

-Greg
    Can you tell me where these keyboard tips are? I just got my 90, and I can't believe special characters like the "#" are "hidden" behind other special characters
    Apparently you lost the CD-ROM containing the manual, but they are listed there, in addition to the on-screen help.

Also, the "#" is smack dab on the keyboard -- look at the "O" key.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Thanks, yes, I found the list in the big PDF that came with my CD. That's some user manual, by the way -- much larger than I've ever seen with any of my Palm devices!

And yes, thanks, the # sign is right on the keyboard.

Now, the big missing link for me is accessing the upper-right dropdown menu from the keyboard -- it's the one in Memopad that I miss the most. The others really aren't much of a problem, but since I see the 90 as such a natural device for writing, I'm spending lots of time in Memo Pad, which is great except for the fact that I can't seem to drop down the list of memo categories via the keyboard.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks again.
    Now, the big missing link for me is accessing the upper-right dropdown menu from the keyboard -- it's the one in Memopad that I miss the most.
    Yes, this is a pain. And in other applications as well.

I realize that this is a Treo 90 thread, and that OneTouchMail was not written by Handspring, but it is also irksome that in OneTouchMail, you CAN'T use the stylus to tap the menu label to access the menus. A little more consistent integration would be nice. Not a bad first attempt, but the 270 isn't their first model.

PS - AND I just noticed when you change your sig on this site, it changes in all your old postings. So much for posterity!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Just FYI, I found that in Memopad you can cycle through your categories by repeatedly pressing the Memopad button, while you're in it. However, you still can't access that menu in order to re-assign a memo to another category.

I'm finding that at least one other app responds to the keyboard. Documents to Go, in its list view, lets you scroll down the list of sheets to select one, by using the "next/prev" field keys that you've defined in TreoKeyboardUtils. Very nice, but like you said, it would be nice if we had some consistency, i.e., if all apps behaved the same way!