1.    #1  
    Okay, several of you out there, U.S.A. included now have the Treo 270. Everyone says upon initial impression it is a remarkable unit, but I want to know how it is with day-to-day activities? I currently have a Visor Platinum with a Visor Phone and VoiceStream Service here in Utah, U.S.A.. I have been holding off to go with a Treo until the color version came out. Now that it is here, I hear mixed reviews. Is it worth the $499 Bones I've got to drop to get color (and not a very impressive color screen according to other reviews), a smaller unit without a springboard slot, an extra 8 MB (over what I currently have) and to lose graffiti? I think I would like the rocker switch, and the speaker phone option, and I do hear people tell me I sound as though I am in a tunnel while on my Visor Phone. I currently don't have color, but I also don't use it for games (no time) looking at lists of to-do's, a calendar, and text doesn't really need to be in color I guess does it?

I have until the 17th of June to decide before I lose the $200 off full price trade-up option. I certainly wouldn't pay $699 for it. I want to know if it is all that much better, or if it is a "minor" improvement to what I've got.

Please give me your honest feedback.
    I've only had the 270 for a little over 24 hours but I have allowed my son to hard reset the Prism and put the Visorphone back in the box for good. Voicestream service here in the Washington, DC area got a lot better when I put the 270 in service. I can actually here the 270 ring, loud and clear, and the vibrator function might well make me a dancin fool. I have had many cell phones and many handsfree units, all of which were lousy! The 270 speakerphone function really works. Hope this helps and I hope i keep being amazed by this incredible little machine.
    Originally posted by eric-heckman
    I can actually here the 270 ring, loud and clear, and the vibrator function might well make me a dancin fool. I have had many cell phones and many handsfree units, all of which were lousy!
    Personally I think the two weakest things about the Treo (atleast the Treo 180) is that its ringer is just not loud enough and its vibrate mode is practically useless (I have used several different phones in the past which all did a much better job of both things than the Treo). I wonder if they have changed something in the 270 to improve on this, otherwise I fail to understand how you could actually praise the Treo for these two things.
    In comparison to your setup, previosuly I have an Edge with VisorPhone, with no other module.

I find 270 is a better if not the best setup than Edge with VisorPhone combo for these reasons:

1. half as light
    2. better phone function. Ringer, volume, speakerphone, phonebook, SMS, headphone are all improved over VP
    3. better data function. Bulit in wireless setting and support by carrier makes it connect faster and stable
    4. color, though not Sony style still make Palm computing more of a pleasure. Games and reading indoor is more fun. Outdoor is OK as long as you are not going to force yourself to read a ebook while relaxing at a sunny beach. That means only normal glancing of messaging or notes outdoor.
    5. jog wheel help one hand operation
    6. thumbboard suit messaging better than Graffiti

Those makes the 270 a better setup for day to day use than VP but is it the best? No all for these shortcomings:
    1. 2 button to go home (though software correctable)
    2. thumbpad lack of cursor function (I still need stylus)
    3. no SD expansion
    4. relatively short battery life (though a fair exchange for color)

Those shortcomings are not fatal so in essence 270 is a better phone/wireless data w/ color PDA than VP combo. If color, OS, or memory expanasion does not stand more improtant to you, then $500 is still worth for a year before OS5 and SDIO come on the next generation communicator from HS
  5. ESH
    Originally posted by Sanjay

Personally I think the two weakest things about the Treo (atleast the Treo 180) is that its ringer is just not loud enough and its vibrate mode is practically useless (I have used several different phones in the past which all did a much better job of both things than the Treo). I wonder if they have changed something in the 270 to improve on this, otherwise I fail to understand how you could actually praise the Treo for these two things.

Then they improved it! The ring is much louder than my Nokia or my wife's new Samsung. The vibrator must have also been improved, while it won't confuse leftcoasters with an earthquake it will make you take notice.

I agree that the 180 is lacking, but HS got it right this time. I wish they would offer you "pioneers" a deal to upgrade.

Eric
    I love the 270. I used a prism with visorphone and this device rocks.

The color screen is fine although the prism is brighter.

the keyboard is lighted and I like it better than graffiti. The speaker is much louder and the vibrate mode is very useable and in fact better than my P280.

Most if not all of the problems are fixable by third party software.

I only wish the device had Palm OS 4.

Hope this helps.