Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I am on the phone with Handspring and they assure me it is a problem with the phone... They are sending me a new Treo. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Handspring assures me that it will... although I have my doubts based on what I have read here.
    I too have had the same problems...hard reset...problem came back after a while. So I called HS looking for some help. The CSR tested it on her 270 and experienced the same problem. Her advice was to receive a call with the ringer on...then off....then on again and that that should remedy the problem...I'm afraid to say that it did but this seems like a flakey solution.
    Strangely, this has worked on my 270. I wonder how long this "fix" will last, though.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Originally posted by UniPalmer

Strangely, this has worked on my 270. I wonder how long this "fix" will last, though.
    Unless I am missing something... this does not work for me.
    My new phone is "out for delivery" with airborne right now... should have it soon (hopefully, as our airborne driver is terrible) and I will post an update ASAP.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I called and spoke to HS wireless support. The dude said it's the first he's heard of this, sure

He had me on hold a while, and came back to say they are sending a replacement headset. Seems reasonable to me, because the phone only hangs up on people when the button is pushed, not when lifting the lid.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Originally posted by christo1970
    I called and spoke to HS wireless support. The dude said it's the first he's heard of this, sure

He had me on hold a while, and came back to say they are sending a replacement headset. Seems reasonable to me, because the phone only hangs up on people when the button is pushed, not when lifting the lid.
    Except that it seems to happen with many different headsets....treo 270, treo 180, JABRA, etc..

Also, if it were the headset why would it work with the lid up?
    Yeah, got my Treo270 yesterday and I have the same F**King problem and I call tech support and they told me they never heard of the problem... I did a hard reset and it worked for awhile I called them back today and the guy said he never heard of th problem and is sending me a new headset to make sure is just the headset. If that doesn't work they'll send me a new unit I guess...
    the guy said he never heard of th problem and is sending me a new headset to make sure is just the headset. If that doesn't work they'll send me a new unit I guess...
    Is there anybody who does NOT have the headset disconnect problem? This seems to be a design flaw, so replacing headsets and Treo 270s (at least the current batch) is probably wasted effort.

On the bright side, I don't seem to have the echo problem in speakerphone mode. (I hate to mention it -- I'm probably just jynxing myself.)
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    Well, here it goes...

My theory is that HS does not have any warranty units to ship so they are playing dumb so they don't

a) Cause a lot of bad press about a product that their survival depends on. The press could cause a panic or kneejerk with returns or original sales.

b) Buy (desperately needed) time by sending (very inexspensive) headsets out so they can come up with the fix and get more units produced.

As soon as they admit that it is the 270 they are going to be flooded with requests that they will be unable to fill. I know for a fact that they do/did not have any warranty units available as of Friday.

This IS a BIG MESS but they will work through it, it will just take a little more time than we want.

this is just part of the price of being an "Early Adopter"

Heck, if we waited two months before buying the price would be lower and the bugs will most likely be fixed. I'm not saying that all this hassle is excused... on the contrary, it's the pitts BUT, HS has the Treo and no one else does.

Obviously they have talent at HS, I hope they have the business savvy to stick it out and survive. I doubt that Sony will make as many mistakes when they come out with a device as such.

My .02 IMHO

Rod

On the bright side, I don't seem to have the echo problem in speakerphone mode. (I hate to mention it -- I'm probably just jynxing myself.)
    Is that at any speaker volume?

Rod

Is there anybody who does NOT have the headset disconnect problem? This seems to be a design flaw, so replacing headsets and Treo 270s (at least the current batch) is probably wasted effort.

edkalama from Maui does not have this problem. I messaged him off the forums and he said he has been using the headset with Treo 270 for an extended period of time and NEVER dropped a call.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Hey Rod,

Good point. But there are folks out there that do not have this problem with the headset. That's why I wanted Treocentral to log parts of our serial numbers as well as flaws, to see if there is a trend.

As Rod is saying, patience is the key for us people. We all know Handspring depends on their Treo sales to keep them alive.

You'd figure that Handspring worked out the bugs with the Treo 180 unit, since that has been out for quite some time. And someone did mention that Handspring does keep an eye on these message boards for problems, etc.

Stan

Originally posted by Veloslave
    Well, here it goes...

My theory is that HS does not have any warranty units to ship so they are playing dumb so they don't

a) Cause a lot of bad press about a product that their survival depends on. The press could cause a panic or kneejerk with returns or original sales.

b) Buy (desperately needed) time by sending (very inexspensive) headsets out so they can come up with the fix and get more units produced.

As soon as they admit that it is the 270 they are going to be flooded with requests that they will be unable to fill. I know for a fact that they do/did not have any warranty units available as of Friday.

This IS a BIG MESS but they will work through it, it will just take a little more time than we want.

this is just part of the price of being an "Early Adopter"

Heck, if we waited two months before buying the price would be lower and the bugs will most likely be fixed. I'm not saying that all this hassle is excused... on the contrary, it's the pitts BUT, HS has the Treo and no one else does.

Obviously they have talent at HS, I hope they have the business savvy to stick it out and survive. I doubt that Sony will make as many mistakes when they come out with a device as such.

My .02 IMHO

Rod
    Well, let's start with the good news!

I believe I have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that it has nothing to do with software or hacks.

Ta Da!

Now, on to the BAD news...

I recieved a brand spanking new 270 today and charged er up. I then put my SIM card from the old phone into the new phone did the digitize thing... and fired it up and made a phone call to make sure it was working.

I then called the 270 with the flip open (BTW I don't think it makes any diff open or closed) and the OLD headset plugged in. It answered just fine and I did it again with the lid closed and no prob.

I went to the apps screen and opened up a bunch of different programs, fooled around for a moument, nothing weird, just normal use and went back to the phone. I called it again and it worked and again and again, and finally whammo, I missed a call.

I put the NEW headset in and made the call and WHAT THE HECK?? it worked! I tried it a couple of more times and Whammo finally it died again. I tried a few more times with no luck, it ain't coming back without a reset.

Well, I think you know where we're at at this part of the story...

Waiting!

I have a feeling they already know and are hard at work trying to figure out what to do. I think I'll just chill and wait and see what happens.

your ball

Rod

Just wanted to put in that I seem to be having the same problem with the headset.... I don't feel like calling Handspring as of yet, but probably will in the next couple of days.

Joshua
    I am experiencing the same problem too. I was not experiencing the problem before I loaded up all my apps though. I am thinking that it is an issue that can be fixed with a software ROM update of some kind similar to the Treo Updater.

I do not think that this issue is a big deal though. Handspring will not go bamkrupt because we can't answer a call with th headset. Most people just used the flip and there are workarounds to the earpiece issue.

I am pretty sure that by now Handspring has discovered that this is a widespread problem and is working on a fix or policy of some kind.

My .02 IMHO

Rod
    Originally posted by artemis125
    Just wanted to put in that I seem to be having the same problem with the headset.... I don't feel like calling Handspring as of yet, but probably will in the next couple of days.

Joshua
    I think you should tell Handspring, as we need to let them know how many units have this problem.

They most likely have a database with Treo serial numbers and their inherent problems.

Stan
  17.    #77  
    OK, now I'm really pissed off. I just called HS to find out when they would be shipping my new unit as I was told it would be here at the beginning of this week. Apparantly, though, it will take 14 days. Fine. That's not what I'm pissed off about.

The HS guy on the phone was the rudest person I've ever talked to in my life. He kept talking over me and not listening to a word I said. I was simply trying to find out if they had actually decided there was a hardware problem and it was definitely going to be fixed in the new unit, or not.

I ended up telling him he was the most unhelpful person I had ever talked to and hanging up. In hindsight, I realise that this wasn't the wisest course of action!! He probably has control of when the unit gets shipped... I should have asked to talk to a manager, but of course I was too pissed off to think properly.

Oh well...
    Originally posted by SarahG
    OK, now I'm really pissed off. I just called HS to find out when they would be shipping my new unit as I was told it would be here at the beginning of this week. Apparantly, though, it will take 14 days. Fine. That's not what I'm pissed off about.

The HS guy on the phone was the rudest person I've ever talked to in my life. He kept talking over me and not listening to a word I said. I was simply trying to find out if they had actually decided there was a hardware problem and it was definitely going to be fixed in the new unit, or not.

I ended up telling him he was the most unhelpful person I had ever talked to and hanging up. In hindsight, I realise that this wasn't the wisest course of action!! He probably has control of when the unit gets shipped... I should have asked to talk to a manager, but of course I was too pissed off to think properly.

Oh well...
    Call them back at a later date to see if you can find out the status of your Treo. I'm pretty sure you can find out for sure when you're unit is shipped, rather than having a rude person tell you.

Stan
    Sarah - sorry to hear about your experience with HS. It must be your Canadian sensibilities.

For rudeness, you should have heard the Manitoba Bison football team at Vanier Cup 2001 in Toronto. All the class in Winnipeg must have left when you moved to the UK.

Is that at any speaker volume?

Rod
    [re: no echo problem with speakerphone]

I tested today at all volumes, with no reported problems by the caller on the other end. Of course, it might just be that mom didn't want to hurt my feelings . . .
    UniPalmer
    -------------
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast