Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    What we need here is, for everyone with this problem to contact Handspring tech support themselves. This will show that Handspring really need to get on the ball and provide a fix for it.

Best thing for everyone to do(if you haven't contacted Handspring Tech Support) is to do a hard reset and just sync your address book, etc. and not your apps. Run your Treo 270 for several hours like that and test the headset button.

Tell Handspring what you have done, and they will note it down.

We need to make a bigger statement about this issue.

Thank you,

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    According to Sandjee at HS Wireless support, the WRONG headsets were shipped. The plug should have small flat line the only allows the headset plug to fit in one way. You should not be able to spin the headset plug around if you have the correct one.

The soft reset that you are doing allows the unit to properly see the headset connected, but with movement it loses contact therefore dropping or showing the call as missed as the "day goes on" as some of you have put it.

Second day air replacement, will be here on Wednesday.

Gary

PS. You also can tell that you got the wrong headset if your clothing-clip was missing.
    Originally posted by thegman
    According to Sandjee at HS Wireless support, the WRONG headsets were shipped. The plug should have small flat line the only allows the headset plug to fit in one way. You should not be able to spin the headset plug around if you have the correct one.

The soft reset that you are doing allows the unit to properly see the headset connected, but with movement it loses contact therefore dropping or showing the call as missed as the "day goes on" as some of you have put it.

Second day air replacement, will be here on Wednesday.

Gary

PS. You also can tell that you got the wrong headset if your clothing-clip was missing.
    Are you sure? I am speaking with the handspring tech support representative now, and she says she never heard of this problem with the wrong headsets sent out to Treo 270 owners.

I do have the "wrong" one that you mention, as it is a standard Nokia headset, with the small miniature plug that can "spin around."

Oh well, they plan to send me another headset, that she claims will be the "correct" one. She said she won't be able to confirm the connector on it, or the clothing clip either.

Stan
    All she had to do was ask Sandjee about it. It sounded like there might have been a handfull of wireless techs in the background.

Interesting side note. I found a headset that I had for my Nokia through my local Telco that had a similar plug end. I put it in the Treo and the unit beeped. Then I called it and it worked without the "Missed Call" issue. I hope this is the case and it really is the headset they shipped. For now I'll use this other one and see how the next dozen calls go.
    I too have had the same problems...hard reset...problem came back after a while. So I called HS looking for some help. The CSR tested it on her 270 and experienced the same problem. Her advice was to receive a call with the ringer on...then off....then on again and that that should remedy the problem...I'm afraid to say that it did but this seems like a flakey solution. I have a case ID now so when this problem arises again I'll be able to escalate it. I asked for Sandjee and they though maybe his name was Sandeep but there apparently were no records on their system with similar complaints.

Al
    Here it is:

The headset shipped with certain batches of the Treo 270 have an incorrectly built 4 pole plug. The Ring A (Mic +) and Sleeve (Mic -) on the defective headsets have an incorrect short of more than 50ohms which results in the odd problems being reported. If you can hear a slight hum in your headset, this is the result of the higher impedance in the headset in general, therefore it is defective.

Using a headset that has the correct impedance does not cause the problem and eliminates the hum.

My only guess is that HS used the cheapest 3rd party headset manufacturer and their quality control sucks. From what I understand, most cell phones can take a range of impedance however I suspect the Treo 270 is a bit more sensitive to this.

Anyway, I don't think we will see this being anything but a true headset swap out.
    Hello,

How did you come to this conclusion? Sounds like we have another EE in this forum! I don't know the pinouts of the Handspring headset, but can you tell me what they were supposed to be? By process of elimination, I measured approximately 46ohms when the switch is closed.

Thanks for the insight.

Stan

Originally posted by thegman
    Here it is:

The headset shipped with certain batches of the Treo 270 have an incorrectly built 4 pole plug. The Ring A (Mic +) and Sleeve (Mic -) on the defective headsets have an incorrect short of more than 50ohms which results in the odd problems being reported. If you can hear a slight hum in your headset, this is the result of the higher impedance in the headset in general, therefore it is defective.

Using a headset that has the correct impedance does not cause the problem and eliminates the hum.

My only guess is that HS used the cheapest 3rd party headset manufacturer and their quality control sucks. From what I understand, most cell phones can take a range of impedance however I suspect the Treo 270 is a bit more sensitive to this.

Anyway, I don't think we will see this being anything but a true headset swap out.
    I think the headset solution is a joke and I don't believe for a minute they would put out a device that would have a headset that locked into place because with the jog dial you need to be able to move the headset plug around. Besides that I use a microphone with a boom. So am I supposed to just stop using it now?
    I have tried everything as well hard reset, I took off MA Treo and X Master, I used my headphone from my 180 as well as the one that came with the 270. Did any of you have the 180 before and then upgrade? What I'm thinking is I didn't do the installation from the 270 disc I just used my previous installation. I'm just trying to throw every possible scenario out there. I'm just not believing what handspring is telling us. By the way I'm going to post this on treomb.com because I have been watching that board and haven't seen anything on there yet but I'm sure that if I put it up, there would be plenty of feedback.
    Cheers.
    Originally posted by jwebs70
    Did any of you have the 180 before and then upgrade? What I'm thinking is I didn't do the installation from the 270 disc I just used my previous installation.
    Of course my first thought of this was BAH! The disks are probably identical...

Then I looked

Sho enuf

Hotsync manager 3.1 (w/180)

Hotsync manager 3.1.2H with the 270

I'm not about to assume for even a minute that this could be the cause... but you can bet I'll find out!

Doubting but surprized in CA
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    PIN:

Tip = Speaker+
    Ring A = Mic+
    Ring B = Speaker -
    Sleeve = Mic -

The development documentation on file with the FCC clearly states the impedance spectrum with regard to operation, section 7.8.2 through 7.8.2.4.

I believe the person on the phone today gave me the incorrect information about the headset with a "fixed" jack pin. I think they know they have a bad bunch of headsets and each CSR invents a reason.

With 50ohm dead-on, close switch, it is always operational. Switch back to the OEM headset and it tanks.
    Originally posted by Stanward
    Hello,

How did you come to this conclusion? Sounds like we have another EE in this forum! I don't know the pinouts of the Handspring headset, but can you tell me what they were supposed to be? By process of elimination, I measured approximately 46ohms when the switch is closed.

Thanks for the insight.

Stan

I don't know about the bad headset theory. I tried to use my headset from my old Treo 180G and had the same problem.

Not to say that it still couldn't be the headset I just don't understand why it would happen so randomly.

With my 180 I never had any problems such as this.

I'm not sure what it is but hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Cheers
    Again, it is probably a combination of both. The specification, in fact the industry standard for the headset jack port, calls for an exact 50ohms when closed. HS may have made it to the exact specification with little +/- movement. Cheap headsets do not have good Q&A while better ones do and meet the standard. My good Plantronics headset hits 50ohms everytime while the HS one that shipped and causes the problems is either a 43 or a 58 ohm reading when closed (button pushed). I have the dev specs for the Treo 90,180,270 and I am looking to see if this can be compensated in the ROM via a flash fix.

I was able to compile a program that logs if the call was received using the headset, button answer or opening the lid. I can get status of the headset jack so it may be possible to adjust the range via a software update.

Originally posted by jwebs70
    I don't know about the bad headset theory. I tried to use my headset from my old Treo 180G and had the same problem.

Not to say that it still couldn't be the headset I just don't understand why it would happen so randomly.

With my 180 I never had any problems such as this.

I'm not sure what it is but hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Cheers
    I appreciate all of your insight. I'm going to order a different headset tomorrow from Belkin I just liked the design of the Belkin it has the telescoping boom.

How have you liked your Platronics headset because I have looked at those as well I just like the form factor of the Belkin headset.

Thanks Again
    Finally got mine today, and it does randomly (more often than not) pick up, and disconnect the caller. After a soft reset, seems to work again, for a very short time. I tried two other 2.5mm headsets, one for an ericsson, and the other is a jabra boom with winder. The others dont do anything, the handspring one usually just disconnects. Hope someone gets an answer soon, cause it's nice to have the treo in your pocket and not have to hold it up to your head every time.
  15.    #55  
    It still hangs up on calls using my Plantronics headset and my Nokia headset and my Jabra headset ( don't worry, I didn't just go out and buy a bunch of headsets, we have 2 Nokia phones and headsets in each car and in each briefcase, etc, etc..)

I also just did a test with the Plantronics headset where I did a soft reset so everything worked properly. I didn't move the phone or the headset at all and kept calling the phone and picking it up with the little button (which I just left on the desk and pressed - no movement). It only took 15 minutes ( I called 4 times) to start hanging up on calls again.

So unless everybody is making crappy headsets, I don't think this is the problem.
    It is not the headset!

If it were the headset then all of Sarah's impressive collection () would have worked. I have tried my 180 h-set in the 270 and visa versa and ONLY the 270 has a problem with either h-set.

We'll see tomorrow when the new 270 arrives (hopefully a properly working one)

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Originally posted by Veloslave
    It is not the headset!

If it were the headset then all of Sarah's impressive collection () would have worked. I have tried my 180 h-set in the 270 and visa versa and ONLY the 270 has a problem with either h-set.

We'll see tomorrow when the new 270 arrives (hopefully a properly working one)

Rod
    Goodness gracious. Handspring is sending out another headset to me. It's not the problem, then I wonder if they can fix it thru the software?

Stan
    Got mine yesterday. Quickly tried if the headset probleem occurs with mine too. And..... yes it did. But in my case when i let the phone ring a few times on an incoming call and then pick it up it works fine. Another possibility, don't pick up when the phone rings. Haven't been able to figure out that last one though

Daan
    I'm ordering my replacement right now. I guess I will have to wait a couple of days to get my replacement. Hopefully that will fix the problem I just don't know what else to do and I'm sick of hanging up on my clients and then having to call back and explain why I just hung up on them.

Cheers
    when i let the phone ring a few times on an incoming call and then pick it up it works fine.
    I just tested mine -- not having used the earbud yet. At first, everything was fine. Then I tested the quoted observation above. At first, that seemed to be the case: if I answered quickly, I was disconnected and got the "Missed Call" message, but it answered fine if I waited a few seconds. Now, it's disconnecting every time, no matter how long I wait to answer.

UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast