Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It looks really bright on the top right corner...
    is that supposed to be like that?
    I hope I don't have to return it already
    Do you have a photo?
    but I am charging it then I will try adjusting the backlight.....I hope its not a defect
    I've seen seveal Treo 90's in stores (Staples, when they first arrived, used to let you play around with real units, now it demo's only "dummy" models). All but one had a brighter upper right-hand corner on the screen. In an earlier post, I mentioned this after I saw one with and one without that brighter upper right-hand corner and remarked, in that earlier post, that it suggested an unevenness in production quality since it seemed to me at the time to be a defect of some sort. Now, having seen several otherwise quite good Treo 90's with that same upper right-hand corner brightness, I'm inclined to think that it's endemic to the machines (at least to this production run) and, although I wouldn't call it a "feature," I wouldn't call it a "bug" (defect).

Charlie
    Yep,
    I've had my Treo 270 for 3 days now :-) and it has a bright top-right corner.

It's not that anoying when compared to the functionality in general.

/Trev
    Once you adjust the contrast until you can see all three target shapes the corner backlight effect is slightly minimized.
  7.    #7  
    Adjusting the brightness and the contrast does make it go away slightly, but not enough.

Other than that it's great...I even migrated all my 180 and Prism stuff over to it (and consequently crashed it since I put over 16MB worth of stuff).

Does anyone know how to get rid of all that extra language databases? can save a substantial amount of space that way
    I am puzzled why folks are making such a big deal out of the backlight in the upper right hand corner. It is barely noticeable and does not seem to affect the visibility of the screen negatively in any way.
  9.    #9  
    the fact that is barely noticable on yours maybe shed some light into this problem. Mine is EASILY noticable.
    Will call to replace
    I called Handspring and was told the screen has the bright spot on the screen in the right top corner becuase that is where the backlight is coming from. This is not a DEFECT.
    I doubt that your unit is defective. All Treo 90 and 270 units have the backlight in the upper corner..it is not a defect. Adjusting teh brightness and contrast on the unit should make it better.

Originally posted by KypDurron
    the fact that is barely noticable on yours maybe shed some light into this problem. Mine is EASILY noticable.
    Will call to replace
    Mines does the same, thought mine was a defect, but I guess not........

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Treo 270 Service Problems
    Rec'd unit on Tuesday and by Wednesday screen had gone black. Handspring has said that it will take 3-7 days to get a unit to ship to me. Pretty bad planning if they have no units in reserve for replacing defectives. Service representatives are uneven and are not consistent in their responses nor are they knowledgeable. One rep had me download a Visor patch for the screen. Had to hard reboot to get out of that mess. Then he wouldn't give me an RMA until someone else had spoken to me (as if the screen would miraculously start working again if someone else with more knowledge could prescribe a fix) I was supposed to wait for a couple of days until another tech called me to confirm. I called another # and after a quick diagnosis they gave me an RMA and now there is no getting around the wait.

I am not a happy camper.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by hjsmith7001
    [B]Treo 270 Service Problems
    Rec'd unit on Tuesday and by Wednesday screen had gone black. Handspring has said that it will take 3-7 days to get a unit to ship to me. Pretty bad planning if they have no units in reserve for replacing defectives. Service representatives are uneven and are not consistent in their responses nor are they knowledgeable.

Just posted a message with same problem. Talked to a Handspring rep, gave me an RMA number, and I'm supposed to receive my replacement unit by Tuesday, meaning I'd be re-united with my visorphone once again and over the weekend. Oh well, things could be worse.

On another subject, don't even compare color quality between the Treo 270 and the Prism. The Treo is acceptable but not anywhere near the crisp and excellent quality of the Prism (when viewing Photos). But I really love the Treo 270,......until this stupid defect which I hope is isolated on my unit.
    Ed
    Originally posted by hjsmith7001
    Treo 270 Service Problems
    Rec'd unit on Tuesday and by Wednesday screen had gone black. Handspring has said that it will take 3-7 days to get a unit to ship to me. Pretty bad planning if they have no units in reserve for replacing defectives. Service representatives are uneven and are not consistent in their responses nor are they knowledgeable. One rep had me download a Visor patch for the screen. Had to hard reboot to get out of that mess. Then he wouldn't give me an RMA until someone else had spoken to me (as if the screen would miraculously start working again if someone else with more knowledge could prescribe a fix) I was supposed to wait for a couple of days until another tech called me to confirm. I called another # and after a quick diagnosis they gave me an RMA and now there is no getting around the wait.

I am not a happy camper.
    I am so sorry for ya man Don't worry about the wait too much though, I have 270 #2 on the way also and my tech guy who I think is level 2 and seems to know what is going on said I should see it by Monday. My guess is, you will too.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    ...but to get back to this thread's topic-- what's the final word when it comes to the hot spot in the upper right? There seems to be a lot of confusion here. Some claim that it's related to the location of the backlight, but if that's the case, why is the hot spot present whether the backlight is on or not? And my hot spot happens to be quite noticeable. Has anyone be able to have their 270 replaced solely because of that apparent defect, or will HS just say forget about it?
    Anyone seeking an RMA on a 270 should ask for a new unit instead. The repair department has no allocation of 270's to send. It took me a couple of days to get that bit of info.

hjs
    On the 270's the Backlight is always on. IF you did not have the backlight the screen would be black.
    Wow. I learn something new ever day. Thanks. So when you "turn on" the backlight, what's happening? On mine, the screen actually gets darker. Is that normal? Or, is because you said it's always on, I'm actually shutting it off? I'm fairly confused.
    Actually when you turn the backlight on you are turning the light on under the keyboard. When the Keyboard get lit the Screen dims.

The unit adjust the backlight down on the screen and turns the light on in the keyboard. I am not 100% sure why they decided to have it work this way other than to help reduce power drain on the unit.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast