Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I was searching the message boards, but I couldn't seem to find anything definitive on the type (specs, etc?) of the Treo headset. I'd like to replace the Handspring one with one that has a retractable cord so I can carry it around with me, etc...

Now, some posts have said that the headset is of the 4- conductor variety. This may sound *really* naive, but I only count 3 black bands on my Handspring-supplied headset. What's up with this, and what kind of headsets will be compatible with the Treo? They sell *all* kinds of junk on cell phone sites...

Thanx,
    --Steve
    Originally posted by sck18

...Now, some posts have said that the headset is of the 4- conductor variety. This may sound *really* naive, but I only count 3 black bands on my Handspring-supplied headset. What's up with this,...
    I don't know anything about the headset, but if you count 3 black bands, then that is consistent with posts that say the headset is the 4 conductor variety. The 3 black bands are insulator material which isolate the 4 conductive metal material.

Hope this helps.
    First off, you are right in noticing that there are three little plastic things (insulators) and the purpose they serve is to seperate the four metalic conductors. It is a four conductor plug.

Now to actually find some help... if you search Treo central you should be able to come up with a rather long/extensive thread on the subject. If that should fail, get a hold of Greg Gaub or Paul Penny, they are a couple of the regulars around here and I'm almost sure they could get you some great info on headsets.

Wish I could be of more help but I didn't follow the thread because I don't use the headset often enough.

Good luck and enjoy!

Rod

UPDATE... I was nice and went and found it

Better headset?
    Last edited by Veloslave; 06/14/2002 at 12:59 AM.
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Thanks, guys. My brain was failing when I posted, I see...
    I really did take enough physics in school to know that the METAL is the conductor, and not the plastic :-)
    it's the same as Nokia's 82xx series. Lost the original one myself and bought one for Nokia. Works like charm. Just doublechesk it has 4 contact bands when you buy it.
    I took Rod's advice and went back and read the thread on headsets. Some liked Plantronics, some liked Body Glove, and others liked Jabra.

I was intrigued by Jabra Earboom Winder. Thanks to Jim Stanton in that thread for recommending it.

I had a diffeent Jabra eargel model before and loved it. However, I left it in Charleston! I think I'll appreciate the winder feature on this one.

Using mySimon.com, I found Amazon.com had the best price at $29.99. Until this evening, I hadn't planned on getting one just now but ...