Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've got a Palm M515. I'm going to give that to my wife and get a Treo 90 for myself. Hope I'm doing the right thing, but what I've read so far, they sound fantastic!!!

Will be leaving soon to pick it up at my local Staples.

I'll be back later with opinion......
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by wyzard
    I'll be back later with opinion......
    So, what's your take?
    I currently have a Casio BE-300 (it's based on a
    proprietary variant of Windows CE 3.0) and like it
    fairly well, but I have a few quibbles with it.

Battery life is poor, particularly when playing back MP3's. You can't even read the display in bright sunlight (or a relatively shady area in bright sunlight), regardless of contrast or brightness settings.

Software is available for the BE-300 only on a very limited scale.

Accessories are hard to find as well, and if you want to buy
    a CF modem (or a modem period!), you need to buy a proprietary
    (i.e. Casio) version.

You can view pics in the BE-300, and they're quite sharp but only at 640 X 480. Which means if you have a digital camera which uses CF cards, you must shoot in 640 X 480 mode in order to be able to transfer them to the BE-300.

I looked at a Sony Clié NR-70V as a possible replacement and
    found it a bit too big and bulky. The built-in keyboard stank as well. Worse, at a price point of $1,000 CDN, Sony adds insult to injury by not including at least an 8MB Memory Stick!

I'm absolutely smitten with the design of the Treo90. They haven't
    yet been released here in Canada, but I recently did have a chance to mess with a Treo180. I liked the keyboard a lot better than the Sony's and found it very easy to use. That's just perfect for me since I don't do well with Graffiti or the handwriting recognizer on the BE-300. Tapping out notes on the software keyboard is a right royal pain in the arse too!

Three quibbles with the Treo, though. No jog dial on the '90. Why did Handspring not include it? The tendency of the unit to power on accidentally when it's placed in a pocket (or bag) is disquieting too. Finally, I'm wondering how I'll like the 160 X 160 resolution, having been spoiled by the BE-300's bright and crisp screen in an
    office setting.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Three quibbles with the Treo, though. No jog dial on the '90. Why did Handspring not include it? The tendency of the unit to power on accidentally when it's placed in a pocket (or bag) is disquieting too. Finally, I'm wondering how I'll like the 160 X 160 resolution, having been spoiled by the BE-300's bright and crisp screen in an
    You can easily lock keys to prevent accidental power on by pushing and holding a power button about 2 seconds. I switched from PocketPC to Palm and 160x160 screen doesn't bother me much since most Palm s/w was designed for that resolution. But, if you do lots of spreadsheet work or serious about gaming and graphic thing, Clie t615 is a good alternative. You are right saying 90 should have come with jog dial. Another minor thing bothering me is even with keyboard, I still need to use a stylus quite often. I wish I can do most of work just using keyboard since to back and forth between keyboard and stylus is painful. But, overall I like Treo 90 a lot.