Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

On a fully charged treo, I sometimes get only 20-30 minutes of talk time while using the speakerphone option.
    But the problem does not appear to be consistant. Sometimes I can go an entire day with mixed use 1 1/2 hours. And other times I can unplug the phone from the charger (fully charged) and only get 20-30 minutes of use before it auto shutdowns due to a low bat.

Sure the speakerphone uses more juice than normal, but 3x?

Also, my battery indicator is wildly erratic, Sometimes the phone shuts down with the indicator fully, other times when it is one setting below full. I've never had it drop below 1/2, it ALWAYS shuts down.

I've already had the phone replaced once, and the problem still occurs, but I guess I'm going to have it swapped out again to see if they can fix it.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from someone.
    Yes, I find that the speakerphone really kills the battery. Have not kept an eye on the battery indicator.
    I see similar behavior. I think it has to do with the amount of "drain" imposed by the speakerphone and that maybe the "smart power management" in the treo tries to be "too smart" - it senses a higher than normal drain and gives low battery warnings, etc. when in fact there's more juice left than it thinks there is...

Because I know sometimes I see 20% remaining charge or so when using the speakerphone, but after I end the call it might go back up to 50% or so...

Paul
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Try correlating the battery drain with signal strength rather than speakerphone use. The battery drains much faster with a weak signal than a strong one.
    Not a factor in my case. Same "strong" signal all the time, but drains inordinately faster on speakerphone.

Paul
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    My experiance is the same as Paul's, Signal strength is not a factor.

Signal strength really doesn't affect PCS (GSM) phones unless they are traveling in/out of coverage areas.

Especially Voicestream since the radio is only active 1/7 or 1/8 of the time anyway and is .6 watts at peak.

Analog and Cellular Digital are different and signal strength does impact battery life to a much larger extent in those standards.

I suspect it's a bad battery selection or a poorly written power interface, either way, it needs to be fixed. The new 270's have a different battery which may mean they already know about the problem and just are not correcting the 180's.

I can't believe the speaker volume impacts battery life too much at a hardware level, UNLESS there is some noise canceling going on, or perhaps the D/A converter was implemented in software.

I'm really glad other people have seen the problem, I was starting to believe it was just me. Thanks for the input!
    Originally posted by jberger
    I can't believe the speaker volume impacts battery life too much at a hardware level...
    I disagree. Think about it - you're using electrical energy to move the speaker diaphragm. That's already relatively power consuming. Now in speakerphone mode, you have to drive the speaker much harder.

I remember my original gameboy batteries would last way longer if I played with headphones or very low volume than if I played with the music loud on a game that had constant background music.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    I disagree. Think about it - you're using electrical energy to move the speaker diaphragm. That's already relatively power consuming. Now in speakerphone mode, you have to drive the speaker much harder.
    I definitley think Jeff is giving you the straight dope on the speakerphone issue here. Just like with your car stereo... more volume... more watts.

I used mine for around 23 minutes tonight and it ate a much bigger chunk of battery than usual, so much it was simply obvious. It was disgusting with the pre patch model

Rod

Anybody very cheerfully greet the Airborne Express man today??

"Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7