Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had sent a couple of e-mails to HS re the stylus problem.

The first was when I found that the stylus from the replacement unit fell out of my original Treo (it was very snug in the replacement Treo) indicating that it was the unit, not the stylus.

Then I sent them thirteenthd's finding of the rubber strip slipping and today they responded that this would be sent to the "appropriate" department.

Maybe shortly we'll hear HS acknowledge what Treocentral posters have found out and can be confident that any future or replacement units will really be fixed.
    I think you are naive in thinking that Handspring does nto knwo what's wrong. I am pretty sure that they know exactly what is wrong and has since fixed the problem. Of course, they would not make this information public. Which company would?
    i just called handspring customer support and they admitted that this is coming up as a problem. they're going to express mail to me a new unit and i can return my old one (so no downtime other than transferring data). although i'm not happy with the stylus falling out all the time, i do appreciate how handspring's handling it.

by the way, i tried putting some tape on the stylus but a little would get caught in the silo each time i take it out so it's getting a bit gunky in there. on the other hand, the gunkiness is probably helping to keep the stylus in place. it's not a great solution though and i'd rather just get the unit replaced.
    Yardie, do you think they're going to stop the assembly line for 5 complaints? No. Do you think the customer support monkeys know anything other then their generic speil? No. Do I think the higher ups know of the issue? Probably. Are they going to admit it? No.

I called customer service, complained and they are sending me a replacement next day air.

Will let you all know if the replacement solves the problem.

Originally posted by yardie
    I think you are naive in thinking that Handspring does nto knwo what's wrong. I am pretty sure that they know exactly what is wrong and has since fixed the problem. Of course, they would not make this information public. Which company would?
    I dont think that the replacement will not have the same problems. There may be 6 complaints on VC but how many Treo 90 owners hang out on VC/TC?

Originally posted by speedlab
    Yardie, do you think they're going to stop the assembly line for 5 complaints? No. Do you think the customer support monkeys know anything other then their generic speil? No. Do I think the higher ups know of the issue? Probably. Are they going to admit it? No.

I called customer service, complained and they are sending me a replacement next day air.

Will let you all know if the replacement solves the problem.

I agree, but if 1000's of people were complaining they'd probably announce a recall.
    I got my replacement unit, the allen key screws are scratched which leads me to believe that this unit is probably a reconditioned unit (a good thing if the holster has been re-inforced). It looks brand new though so I won't worry about that, as long as the stylus stays put and there are no other problems!
    First I tried email then I got redirected to calling for help on this less than 48 hours loose stylus issue.

After a 3 minute or so pause from the custcare rep, HandSpring was efficient in processing to send an advance unit and provide a RMA number for return.
    I appreciate how they are handling the issue and hope that someone in quality control will review this bad batch. The first few letters of my serial number are: GMHED
    Made in Mexico.

I love my Treo! Wish it had a jog dial though, RecoEcho is wearing thin
    Tony Ching, President
    SF Palm User Group
    Palm Powered by the Golden Gate
    www.sfpug.org
    Originally posted by speedlab
    I'm having the same problem with my Stylus, as far as taking the unit apart, I'm worried I may break something. Wish someone had some pictures of step-by-step fixing this rubber piece <hint hint>
    I will do my best

As far as I'm concerned, Handspring will defnetly send a replacement unit. But there's no way to be sure the problem is fixed. After all the rubber piece is stick to the stylus holder wall by tape. Unless they use something stronger to hold that rubber the same problem will happen again with the replacement unit.

Oh, does anyone know the name of the kind of screwed used on treo?
    I e-mailed Handspring about this two days after my Treo arrived. Their reply e-mail gave me a toll free number to call and I spoke with a HS representative who was aware of the problem. They sent out a replacement unit which arrived the day after I called. That was over 10 days ago and the new unit is working fine. The stylus is still held firmly in place without any loosening noted.

One thing about having a replacement sent out. HS will require a credit card number which will be charged if you do not return the damaged unit within 14 days. The package was shipped Airborne Express and contained a postage paid label for returning the damaged Treo.

I will post again if the dredded slippery stylus returns!

My stylus started falling out after 3 days of use!!! And I only got mine on Thursday via Staples.com!!! DAMN!!!

I guess i'll register it... And give them a call tomorrow... I love the Palm other than that!!!

Bill
    I've had my replacement now for about 2 weeks and the holster seems to be working fine. One problem I had with the RMA is that being in Canada the included prepaid Airborne Express waybill was only valid within U.S. (They didn't even check to see whether or not I was from the US or another country). Well I called them; they expected me to either pay the freight out of my own pocket or ship it back from the US/Canada border! (I guess then the US waybill would be valid) Even though I was 20 minutes from the border, this would not have been acceptable if I lived 500 miles from the border. I declined their offers and they eventually told me to ship the damaged unit back by Purolator.

I'm happy with the Treo but I think next time I'll wait and buy it at a retail store!

I am on my third Treo in a month. I've sent two back to handspring for the backlight problem (screen goes nearly black and there's no getting it back). They have been great, sent me new ones, paid for the return shipping, etc.

However, each one continues to have the same problems. As to the stylus, I'm on my third and it's happened on all three of them (two came from HS directly; one from retail store). I think it's a design flaw, look for Treo 91.5 to fix it...

In the meantime, I'm going with the tape around the top of the stylus. American ingenuity at work!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12