1.    #1  
    My current Nokia 9210 has the option to grow to 64 MB from 16 MB. Does the Treo 270 have this option?

I scanned the threads and found out that both 9210 and 270 don't have support for javascripts (9210i has).

I am not familiar with Palm-based features. But does it have support for creating and editing MS compatible doc formats like Word and Excel? or does it provide conversion tools from moving the doc from Treo to PC?
    First of all it appears that you are new here. Welcome!

The Treo is limited to 16 MB of memory and has no expansion opperunities that are realyl accesible (serial port COULD be used?)

Javascript will not run within websites, but there are java runtimes available on sites such as handago so that you can run java code on the Treo.

The Treo does not have native document processors, but there are many third party programs that offer this feature. For Word Documents my personal favorite is the Blue Nomad Wordsmith editor available from www.bluenomad.com . Handspring included this software with the Treo 90. Unluckily Blue Nomad only offers word processing. Tiny Sheet from www.iambic.com is a great spreadsheet program.

Of course there are office suites available. QuickOffice 6.0 was just released, and there is still DataViz software. DataViz is included with all Palm handhelds.

ENjoy your stay here at TreoCentral!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    While the Blazer browser that is built-in does not have javascript, the new XIINO browser has suipport for it. Of course you would have to pay for this browser. You should be able to find it by doing a search for Palmscape (its former name) or XIINO at www.palmgear.com.
    Yo Yardie,

That xiino looks very cool... but is it only operating at 256 colors? Isn't this going to be a bit of a let down for the 270? Sorry if it is a dumb Q, I'm a bit new to PDA's (my soon to be given to my wife 180 is/was my first)

Sure would be great to have Java.

Thanks in advance!

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, miradu, for the welcome. I am as excited as people around here on the potential of the Tre0 270 that is why I am investigating the product features and user response.

Has anyone felt any need to grow beyond 16 MB of RAM for a busy mobile professional? Although the expansion is there for 9210, I haven't felt the need either.

Is the Phone Book accessible through Email, SMS, and Phone or are they separate repositories? It would be very good if the same contact database contain cell, email, and other contact info.

Are there software that needs to be installed on the PC as well to synch up with Outlook? with the provided CD media with it?
    Originally posted by ManofTrueGod
    [/B]
    Has anyone felt any need to grow beyond 16 MB of RAM for a busy mobile professional? Although the expansion is there for 9210, I haven't felt the need either.
    Not me! It seems like I have Sooo much junk on there right now that I never use and I'm only @ 8MB

Is the Phone Book accessible through Email, SMS, and Phone or are they separate repositories? It would be very good if the same contact database contain cell, email, and other contact info.
    YES!!! This is one of the finest software features of the Treo... everything is connected in a well thought out way.

Are there software that needs to be installed on the PC as well to synch up with Outlook? with the provided CD media with it?
    Not at all, the supplied disk will get all of your Outlook contact info, appointments/calender stuff/memos seemlessly added to the Treo. I doubted it worked the first time because it went so well

From the sounds of it, I think you will be very happy with it. Be sure to add in the Olive Tree Bible Reader!

Praise the LORD and good luck!

Rod

7.    #7  
    Veloslave, thanks for the additional comments. Does the Bible reader cost anything? That's a great piece in such a device could be better time usage rather than just games!

One more question. Is there such a thing as "File Directory" in a Treo 270 Palm device similar to PC File Directories?
    The bible reader is free and they have some bibles FOR the reader that are free and some for purchase. They also have many other languages available. You can find it @ Olive Tree

As for the File Directory... sorry I don't know about that one.

GOD Bless,

Rod

Veloslave,

I have not tried XIINO as yet because I still haven't received my Tre0 270 . I suppose that it would still look ok at 356 colors. Remember that you are using it on a pda/phone not a desktop pc. It certainly beats WAP Protocol on most phones.

ManofTrueGod,

The Palm OS does not have a directory structure like PCs and PPCs. However, you can add a file structure to it using a program such as FilePoint.
    I have a 9210. i already upgraded to 64 meg and is currently using about 32 meg.
    my individual ringtones(wav) and pictures alone took more than 16meg.
    I think 16m for the treo is not enough, since colored programs are more ram hungry.
    Memory will mever be enough for some people. Why? Because some people will find stuff to fill the memory. I got a Prism with 8 MB memory plus a 64MB memory card.. guess what? Its all filled up. Thing is I almost never use the stuff on the card.

Originally posted by Japorms
    I have a 9210. i already upgraded to 64 meg and is currently using about 32 meg.
    my individual ringtones(wav) and pictures alone took more than 16meg.
    I think 16m for the treo is not enough, since colored programs are more ram hungry.
    I think it would be cool for someone to develop a web site that acts as a "virtual memory card". You can "store" apps you don't use but want to be able to get again, and download other ones from your account. It might be a little slow but Palm Apps aren't that big. You could also backup your Palm wireless over wireless internet. That would be a pretty cool feature.

Any ideas on the ability to expand by maybe using a serial cable or some sort of extension that connects through the cradle connector?
  13.    #13  
    I have already seen the size of a Motorola Accompli models. Can anyone compare the size of a Treo with that of the Motorola Accompli communicators?
    There is always the chance that a 32 or 64mb upgrade will be made to the Treo series from www.palmpilotupgrade.com
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  15.    #15  
    Can anyone display a shot of Treo 270 besides a Palm, an iPAQ, and a mobile phone like a Nokia 9210 or Motorola Accompli models?

The Document to Go product seems to be a good suite to fulfill my requirements for document management.

If it has a strong Outlook interoperability and RAS support, that is fine by me. Good calendar with multiple views, task list integrated with calendar. Good contacts DB that contain email, cell, landline phone, even postal address is good enough.

If the battery can last 24-48 hours before recharging that is good enough for me. My Nokia 9210 on a heavy use, 50+ SMS, dial-up for emails and Web, and phone calls, can last me 2 days before recharging.

The only games I got is Reversi board game. Multimedia support will be a bonus.

On web, they both don't have Javascript support.

I think I just might sell off my Nokia 9210 to get a Treo 270...
  16.    #16  
    Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am amazed that it took me 6 months to make the decision to buy a Treo