1.    #1  
    I've just completed the process of converting from the Treo 180 to the 90.

I've got to say that I am impressed with the 90. It is everything that the Palm m505, then m515 should be, and much more than the m130. In my opinion, the screen on the 90 is brighter than that of the m130. It's not quite as bright as the Prism's, but then again, it's not as thick as the Prism, either! I bought an m505 when they first came out, and sent it right back because of the screen. I have no complaints at all about the 90's color or brightness. Now, I will say that the screen automatically comes on with the backlight on when you press the power button, and the screen is noticeably dimmer with the backlight off. I'll just have to see how fast it chews through battery life with the backlight on all the time. I'm not a "power user", so I'd imagine I'll be o.k. with it.

It was a lot thinner than I imagined. I was expecting basically a Treo 180 with a thinner flip cover and without the antenna. Not so. The main chassis is also noticeably thinner than the 180's is. And it is soooooo light! I am still amazed at how little it weighs. It almost feels like there's something missing, or it's just a mock-up or something.

One other neat feature: The setup software helps you configure your connection settings so that you can use a phone as a modem via IR or cable connection. It even has a set of drivers for certain phones that you can install if you want to use the 90 as an SMS platform via a phone. Alas, the driver for my new Nokia 8390 was not included (there was a driver for the 8290, and I think that may work).

So, all in all, I am very impressed with the Treo 90. And I was just starting to get used to greyscale

jsjsjs
    Question for you: How does the keyboard/programs react to not being a phone? Where is the off button? Is it difficult to do the opt:home push just to get to applications?

Did Handspring get rid of Datebook (leaving DB+ only)?

Is the address book the 'old style' or the 'new treo style'?

What programs are built-in for memory cards?

Does the flipcover have a screen protector?

How does the device look with/without the flipcover?

Can you tell the difference in 12-16 bit?
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  3.    #3  
    How does the keyboard/programs react to not being a phone?
    So far, I haven't noticed too much of a difference. But, I haven't really tried to see just how much I can do without the stylus. The keyboard can still be used for all the things it is used for on the 180.

Where is the off button?
    It is on the top-left (when looking at the screen). It is recessed and translucent. It lights up with different colors to indicate battery levels. Also, it will flash with any alarm you have set.

Is it difficult to do the opt:home push just to get to applications?
    I use SilverScreen as my app launcher. I use ActionNames instead of DateBook. I have the DateBook button set to launch Action Names. Since ActionNames takes the place of the DateBook, Contacts and ToDo functions, you no longer need the Contact and ToDo buttons. So, I set the ToDo button to launch SilverScreen, which gives me one-button access to applications. You can also set any button to launch the standard Handspring application screen.

Did Handspring get rid of Datebook (leaving DB+ only)?
    No. DateBk+ "overlays" DateBook. It isn't a stand-alone app, but rather pulls information out of the DateBook database and puts it into a different interface. DateBk+ can't run without DateBook.

Is the address book the 'old style' or the 'new treo style'?
    I've used SilverScreen for so long that I've forgotten what the "old style" looked like. But, a quick check of the address book shows it to be version 4.1H, so I think it's the same as in the Treo.

Does the flipcover have a screen protector?
    Nope. But I'm sure you could put one on there if you wanted.

How does the device look with/without the flipcover?
    haven't taken the cover off. Mainly because it is so thin (I'd say a little less than 1/8") that you don't gain much by taking it off, but you lose protection of the keyboard.

Can you tell the difference in 12-16 bit?
    Can't tell any color difference yet, but I haven't looked at any color-intense photos or anything on it yet. The difference you do notice, though, is in the saturation. The Prism's color is quite a bit.....um......"fuller" may be a way to describe it.

Hope that helped.

jsjsjs
    I never had a 180, but unless I mis-read something I disagree with something jrsites said.

Q: Does the flipcover have a screen protector?

Nope. But I'm sure you could put one on there if you wanted.
    I'm not sure what Terry meant by screen protector, but my 180 has a clear plastic cover that protects the screen, while enabling you to see through.

Other notes:
    Most programs allow the press of the option key followed by the application home, you don't even have to press them at the same time.

I upgraded from the Visor, the contacts are definitely different. I like the old way with the name and number on the same line. Apparently the new way is better for Treos that are also phones. I do like that you can start to type a name and it jumps there but what I don't like is that when the cover is closed and you click on contacts, it shows less names and scrolling down moves one contact at a time rather than paging down. (Yes I know you can press shift to do a page down, but I'm describing working with the flip cover closed).

The device looks great! I wouldn't recommend taking off the cover simply because you would expose the screen ... if you have a carrying case this probably wouldn't be a concern. Interestingly it might be better if the flip cover was tinted a little ... might make a nice shade when out in the sun. There hasn't been any sunny days here to see how well it looks in the sun.

You can also hold down the off button for 2 seconds and it will look the keys. Until you hold down the power key for 2 seconds again. Handy if you carry your PDA in a backpack (me) and the buttons get pressed accidentally from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    I just assumed that, by "screen protector", he meant a "thin sheet of clear plastic" to prevent scratches to the see-through flip cover.

Yes, the flip cover is in itself a screen protector for the screen itself.

jsjsjs
    To that end ... the Treo 90 does come with a thin clear piece of plastic on the flip lid. This is very similar to the plastic found on new Apple computers) that my wife and I are leaving on until our cases arrive.
    Originally posted by jrsites
    I've just completed the process of converting from the Treo 180 to the 90.

I've got to say that I am impressed with the 90. It is everything that the Palm m505, then m515 should be, and much more than the m130. In my opinion, the screen on the 90 is brighter than that of the m130. It's not quite as bright as the Prism's, but then again, it's not as thick as the Prism, either! I bought an m505 when they first came out, and sent it right back because of the screen. I have no complaints at all about the 90's color or brightness. Now, I will say that the screen automatically comes on with the backlight on when you press the power button, and the screen is noticeably dimmer with the backlight off. I'll just have to see how fast it chews through battery life with the backlight on all the time. I'm not a "power user", so I'd imagine I'll be o.k. with it.

It was a lot thinner than I imagined. I was expecting basically a Treo 180 with a thinner flip cover and without the antenna. Not so. The main chassis is also noticeably thinner than the 180's is. And it is soooooo light! I am still amazed at how little it weighs. It almost feels like there's something missing, or it's just a mock-up or something.

One other neat feature: The setup software helps you configure your connection settings so that you can use a phone as a modem via IR or cable connection. It even has a set of drivers for certain phones that you can install if you want to use the 90 as an SMS platform via a phone. Alas, the driver for my new Nokia 8390 was not included (there was a driver for the 8290, and I think that may work).

So, all in all, I am very impressed with the Treo 90. And I was just starting to get used to greyscale

jsjsjs
    How does the Treo 90 screen size compare to the Palm 515? Can the Treo 90 screen be viewed easily in the outdoors?

Why do you prefer the Treo 90 to the Palm 515? (apart from the lower price of the Treo 90)

Thank-you.

Bob
  9.    #9  
    I believe both have the same display size (160 pixels by 160 pixels).

Sorry. I have not had occasion to try viewing the 90's screen outside, so I' don't know how well it does.

I prefer the Treo 90 because: It's smaller, lighter and has the keyboard - all for $100 less than the m515. And, in my opinion, the 90's screen is brighter than the m515's.

jsjsjs
    Originally posted by jrsites
    I believe both have the same display size (160 pixels by 160 pixels).
    But are the pixels the same size? The m100 has 160x160, but it's screen is something along the lines of 25% smaller than 'standard,' making it a PITA to read.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  11.    #11  
    Ahhhh. I get it now.

The 90's screen looks to me as though it's the same size as the 180's screen. Does that help? I've never looked at the 90 and the m130 side by side, so I'm not sure how they compare.

jsjsjs
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The screen is bigger than 130 and smaller than 515. While I found 130 is bit too small to read comfortably, I have no problem reading Treo 90 screen. The screen is pretty nice and bright. Way way better than m505 screen which I used to use. (I even think it's better than m515 screen) The screen response time seems tad slow and sometimes I see slight ghosting. So it may be an issue for gamers. But, again not as bad as m130 ghosting. Overall I'm happy with Treo. I bought 90 since my current primary PDA, Audiovox Maestro, is too bulky to carry in the pocket. Treo has perfect size and weight for that purpose.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So, I set the ToDo button to launch SilverScreen, which gives me one-button access to applications.
    I assigned the contact button to "Mega Launcher" and while it works fine, I can't change category by pushing the button again. I used to be able to change category by tipping on the Home icon on the graphiti. Anyone figured out how to do this?
    To those who have asked I've tried treo 90 outdoors. For my 42 yr old eyes: In bright sun with sunglassess - very hard to read, bright sun without sunglasses - not great, fairly hard to read, in shade (when sun behind clouds) pretty easy to read but not fabulous.
    Originally posted by ignar

I assigned the contact button to "Mega Launcher" . . . I can't change category by pushing the button again. Anyone figured out how to do this?
    I can't help you re MegaLauncher, but FWIW, I assigned "Applications" to the far right Memo button. Now, successive taps of that one button rotates App categories.

BTW, with ActionNames, I can do the same thing for multiple views of calendar, ToDos etc via the far left [Calendar] button. Pretty much encourages one-hand operation, esp. since I don't "need" to flip open the cover to actually view the data. [Second/Contact successive taps = category rotation of Address book categories. Third/ToDo button now pops up a "new" menu- super-handy!]