1.    #1  
    I noticed today that QuickSheet 6.0 made it out the door. I've got an older version of QuickSheet, which doesn't take advantage of a myraid of features on my Clie T615C. I've been holding off, hoping that Blue Nomad would come out with a new spreadsheet program; but I'm getting rather tired of waiting.

Which brings me back to looking at the available choices. The new QuickSheet has a number of very nice features, particularly in terms of formatting. Then there's TinySheet from Iambic, which looks very good as well, feature-wise. However, I'm wary of Iambic -- more for their support policies than there idiotic domain hijacking escapade. (To be fair, Cutting Edge's QuickSheet support hasn't impressed me much, either.) There's also MiniCalc, but I've never warmed up to their UI.

My main complaint about my current version of QuickSheet (about 2 years old) is cell formatting. I've got a formatting question for those familiar with these programs -- one I've been unable to glean from the manuals of these three products:

Say that you have a spreadsheet with 3 columns, each with a different alignment (one right-aligned, one centered, and one left-aligned.) You want to select a row of data and change the font of the row to Bold. However, you want to leave each of the selected cells with the column's current alignment setting (i.e., you want the first cell of the selected row to be bold and right-aligned, the second to be bold and centered, etc.)

In other words, you want to "add" Bold to the selected row, but not alter the rest of the selected cell's formatting.

I've been unable to do this with my earlier version of QuickSheet. When you format a row, the format dialog comes up; but every cell in the row is reset to all of the formatting options in the formatting dialog. In other words there's no way you can change the font, but have an option to leave the alignment or data type alone.

Anyone know if the latest versions of any of these three programs gets around this? (Or if there is a workaround?) Thanks in advance...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I have to admit...I came in here to read your post because you had 100 people read it and no replies.

But then you were talking about the formatting bug in QuickSheet.

I had the same peeve in ver3.x of Tinysheet. It really used to irk me. I didnt try 4.x yet. I'll let you know if it does the same.

Wierd!
    --NickC--
    I use Minicalc, and I don't have the problem you describe. Only the attribute you want to change gets changed, leaving the rest of the formatting as it was. Maybe it is worth taking another look at Minicalc.
    Originally posted by bookrats

In other words, you want to "add" Bold to the selected row, but not alter the rest of the selected cell's formatting.
    what version of quicksheet are you running? I've been using quicksheet since late v4/v5 (whichever one came out early 2001) and at least since then you've been able to add formatting to selected cells.

Select the cells you want to format, select Formatting from the Edit menu and pick the formatting you want. When you tap Ok, a popup asks if you want to apply the changes to a style, or just format the selected cells.

Sounds like you'll have to upgrade to do what you want.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Blue Nomad's coming out with a new program "soon". . .
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by NickC
    I had the same peeve in ver3.x of Tinysheet. It really used to irk me. I didnt try 4.x yet. I'll let you know if it does the same.
    Thanks -- I would appreciate it.

Originally posted by traveler
    I use Minicalc, and I don't have the problem you describe. Only the attribute you want to change gets changed, leaving the rest of the formatting as it was. Maybe it is worth taking another look at Minicalc.
    I'll try it again; but I reviewed the latest MiniCalc manual, and I still find the interface less than intuitive (obviously a very subjective observation, so take it with a grain of salt). It's been the major reason I didn't use it in the first place; MiniCalc has a number of advantages by comparison with the other products (particularly the amount of text you can put in a cell).

Originally posted by imabug
    what version of quicksheet are you running? I've been using quicksheet since late v4/v5 (whichever one came out early 2001) and at least since then you've been able to add formatting to selected cells.
    I'm using QuickSheet 5.1; and yes, it has cell formatting, as you describe. However, it doesn't have "additive" formatting over multiple cells (as I tried to describe in my initial note), where you want one or two particular elements of all these cells formatted (e.g., bolding, color), but you want the rest of each cell's formatting left alone (e.g., alignment). Or at least it doesn't for 5.1.

Originally by ernieba1
    Blue Nomad's coming out with a new program "soon". . .
    Yeah, and I've waited patiently, because I have a really high opinion of Blue Nomad's products. But with no expected date, an no official announcement that they're planning to release something in quarter X of year X, I've decided that it's time to look elsewhere.

QuickSheet, TinySheet and MiniCalc are all pretty good products. I could understand why Blue Nomad might be reluctant to try to get into the market.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    TinySheet V 4.11 will do as you describe.