1.    #1  
    Just upgrade my wife's and my visor with the new Treo 90. I had in the past been able to sync with OS X and Palm Desktop 4 by removing the upgrade OS files as recommended several places. However I haven't been able to get the Treo to be recognized in OS X. Does anyone know of a work around ... or do I have to go back to OS 9?
    I'm having the same problem, did we have to set up which OS we were using when installing the desktop software? That may have something to do with it. I'm still using the beta, never switched to the full version.
    According to the FAQ on Handspring's website, you have to use the version of Palm Desktop which came on your CD with the Treo. And it's OS 9 only.

I don't know why that would be the case, unless something about the 90 is just so fundamentally different that it can't talk with the normal Palm Desktop 4.0 software. Hopefully a new version will be released soon that does support it.
    What does this button do?
    From the Handspring web support site:

Can I use my Handspring handheld with Mac OS X?

For most handhelds except Treo 90: Yes. Handspring's version of Palm Desktop 2.6.1 is compatible with the Classic environment of Mac OS X, to our knowledge. This software is not yet available in native Mac OS X format.

Treo 90: Due to a change in the USB hardware used in the Treo 90 from previous Treo and Visor handhelds, the current version of Palm Desktop 4.0 for OS X is not compatible with the Treo 90. Handspring is working with Palm, Inc., on this issue and hope to address this in the near future.

Palm Desktop from Palm: don't use it
    Palm, Inc. released Palm Desktop 4.0 for Macintosh OS X. Although it includes a unified USB driver, this version has not passed the tests for use with Handspring products, and we do not officially sanction it. When the necessary development on this software is completed, we'll make it available on our website.

Which Palm Desktop do I use?
    Please use the Handspring version of Palm Desktop 2.6.1 (get it here) until we release our version of the new software.

How do I use Palm Desktop 2.6.1 under OS X?
    Use Handspring Palm Desktop 2.6.1 while running in the OS X Classic environment.

Classic environment is a compatibility mode; it is Mac OS 9.x running under OS X to enable you to run pre-OS X applications.

How about conduits?
    Most of the pre-OS X Macintosh conduits should work with an OS X system running in Classic mode. There are some OS X native conduits available. See our OS X native conduits article for more information.

Uh-oh, I already installed Palm Desktop 4.0
    If you already installed the unsupported Palm, Inc. version of Palm Desktop 4.0 for Mac OS 9 or for Mac OS X, please note the user data folder changed.

There is no going back to Palm Desktop 2.6.1 for any data that is updated in the new User data folder structure. You can only uninstall and use the backup copy of your user data which may be out of date. Handspring does not provide support for non-approved versions of Palm Inc. software.
  5.    #5  
    Ok ... I did read all that stuff on handspring's site.

I also read (and can still read) where it says that a Visor can't sink with Palm Desktop 4.

Well I've been doing that since day 1 of Palm Desktop's release.

I just thought someone might have figured out a work around or a third party solution for syncing the Treo 90 as well.

What I'd really like to see is Handspring come out with a new version for OS X tomorrow.

I'd kind of like to see Jaguar come out tomorrow too ... though I don't think that'll happen either.
    Since the problem with OSX and the Treo 90 is USB-related, I wonder if it's possible to sync the 90 with Palm 4 on OS X through Infrared instead? Has anyone tried this, or know of another workaround the USB issue?
    This posted 6/13 to my previous message to MacFixit about the problem with the Treo 90 and OS X. Note the last part. A fix is promised soon.

>>Treo and OS X conflict: a follow-up Regarding our prior report of Handspring's Treo not working in OS X, Rodrigo Izurieta replies: "I was successful in synchronizing in OS X through IrDA - except when trying to install programs. Then it hangs. Handspring said that they will release software that will allow use of Treo90 with OS X within one month."<<
    Here's some more info.

The Treo 90 uses a new USB chipset on the device, that doesn't have drivers written for it yet.

Therefore, OS X sync does not work.

Handspring told me they'll have an update by the end of summer (July? August?) to fix this problem.

Until them I can only say sorry The Treo 90 is a great handheld!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    See post "OS X Works Fine" for complete details.

The Treo 90 works flawlessly with Macs using Palm Desktop 4.0 under OS X with Missing Sync 3.0 from Mark/Space.

Ignore the Handspring information. You don't have to wait for Handspring to get its act together. But it will cost you an extra $30 to purchase the Missing Sync application.
    I purchased and installed Missing Sync 3.0. It works great. I only experienced problems when Classic was loaded and with the conduit for WordSmith that came in the Handspring CD. Everything else works great.

For Treo90 and OSX users, I think this is definitely a good choice. You can get it at:

http://store.yahoo.com/markspace/missingsync.html

Thanks Beacham for the post.
    Rodrigo Izurieta
    Originally posted by Izurieta

For Treo90 and OSX users, I think this is definitely a good choice. You can get it at:

http://store.yahoo.com/markspace/missingsync.html

Thanks Beacham for the post. [/B]
    I bought Missing Sync, and it doesn't allow me to sync under OS X. I now get something on the computer screen sayng it's "preparing to sync". So I'm a half step ahead. Still no sync. I'm taking this PDA back where it came from. Handspring can stuff it. Palm OS is Palm OS. It can be had elsewhere.

You would think that after 16 months, OS X would be on he radar screen.
    Did you delete all of the files in the "Palm OS™ Updates" folder located in the "Palm" folder of "Applications?"

Mine works just fine.
    Originally posted by TreoOSX
    Did you delete all of the files in the "Palm OS™ Updates" folder located in the "Palm" folder of "Applications?"

Mine works just fine.
    I didn't do that, but after several hours of futility, it just synchronized. It worked. Thanks for your response.
    I have found a conflict with the Apple OS X application "Clock" that can cause the HotSync of the Treo 90 with Missing Sync/Palm Desktop 4.0 to give the message "Preparing to Sync" but stalling and not progressing with the sync. When "Clock" is open, the problem occurs. When "Clock" is closed, the problem disappears. Perhaps this is affecting others as well.
    Originally posted by beacham
    I have found a conflict with the Apple OS X application "Clock" that can cause the HotSync of the Treo 90 with Missing Sync/Palm Desktop 4.0 to give the message "Preparing to Sync" but stalling and not progressing with the sync. When "Clock" is open, the problem occurs. When "Clock" is closed, the problem disappears. Perhaps this is affecting others as well.
    What clock? The toolbar clock?
    I mean the Apple application "Clock" that comes with every copy of OS X. I think it's normally found in the Utilities folder in Applications. I use it in my dock because it can display the date as well as time and the toolbar clock can't do that.

I have it start up automatically each time I boot up to OS X. But I had the "Preparing to Sync" problem as well and suspected an application conflict. I traced it to "Clock." I went back today and confirmed I get the problem consistently with Clock open and it disappears when it's closed.

If you don't use Clock, perhaps another application on your computer is causing the same conflict with Missing Sync. I'd suggest ruling them out one by one. Missing Sync works fine with the Treo 90 when there's no conflict. Hope this helps.