Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Despite its age and unavailability from A T & T now, I enjoy and constantly use my Treo 680. I have no data plan (which A T & T now requires when buying a smartphone), but I have multiple Palm OS programs I use on the device.

If I purchase another one from a third party, such as eBay, will I run into any problems using it on the A T & T network when I simply put my SIM card into it?

Also, I HotSync the device at least once a day. Am I likely to have problems with the third-party software I've installed on the current device? Should I move all of this software to the SD card?

It's still working perfectly well, but I want to be ready to replace it with another 680, if I can, should it fail or get lost.

Thanks for any help!

Mike
    As long as you have a complete backup of your Treo 680 at hand, then switching to a new device shouldn't be a problem. By complete backup I mean one that was made by either Resco Backup or NVBackup to your SD card.

Then backup the SD card to your PC regularly (aside from hotsyncs). This should make restores fairly easy: restore your SD card -> then restore your Treo from the SD card
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thank you! As I say, all is working well now, but I simply want to be ready for any eventuality!

(And, personally, I'm working hard to resist the temptation to buy something 'smarter' like an iPhone or competing device. Staying organized is one thing; insisting on always being 'connected' is quite another. IMHO, the belief that one must always be connected and available is just plain NUTS!)

Mike
    Mike, I totally agree with your views. I am fortunate to afford buying and trying out different smartphones, so I use the iphone for personal use and the Treo 680 for business. PALM OS PIM applications mean PRODUCTIVITY. No fancy graphics, no 3D effects, just QUICK ACCESS, EASY FILTERING , SORTING and QUICK DATA ENTRY with a physical keyboard.

I have been using a Treo Pro for about 1 month for business (because of wifi access), I just got back to Treo 680 because it JUST WORKS.

It's too bad Palm didn't know how to manage a great product, Palm OS.

Just my 2 cents,
    Jorge.
    Jorge Costa
    Visor Deluxe -> T|T3 -> Treo 600 (2 weeks) -> Treo 650 + T|T3 -> Treo 680 + T|T3
    Oh and by the way, if you didn't buy Resco Explorer, use NV Backup, it's as good for backup management and it's FREE.

Keep on using your Treo 680,
    Jorge.
    Jorge Costa
    Visor Deluxe -> T|T3 -> Treo 600 (2 weeks) -> Treo 650 + T|T3 -> Treo 680 + T|T3
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    You said.... "I just got back to Treo 680 because it JUST WORKS."

Jorge,

IMAGINE THAT!! "It JUST WORKS." When did our "connected culture" lose its satisfaction with things just working!

I agree with you on that!

And, yes, I did get NV Backup, and it, too, works just fine.

Wonder what will happen now that HP plans to buy Palm....?

Thanks,

Mike
    I'm still on my Treo 680 as well, holding out for the Palm Pre when it becomes available in Asia.

I just hope the Pre (or the next great webOS handset) can match the Treo's productivity level. If only this phone had wi-fi, then it should tide me over for another 2 years or so. Or if bluetooth access points were more common here...

Cheers!
    i just recently upgraded to a treo 680 last year from a 3 year old treo 650. i just needed more internal memory and really hated the antenna even though i replaced it with a treoantenna.com unit. you guys are right. palmOS and the treo form factor "JUST WORKS" PERIOD!

i've got a winmo 6.5 device as my daily driver but i still keep coming back to my treo when i need to get some accurate, fast and reliable mobile work done.

it's really a shame that palm didn't go the extra mile to enhance these devices. i used to have a sony ericsson p990i with almost identical proportions and was always imagining it running palmOS with an HVGA screen. it could be done, with a little elbow grease from palm.

well, let us all hope HP does palm good. i really don't want webOS to be another palmOS; a great mobile OS gone to waste...
    I just had my computer wiped, and then I re-installed the software from my Palm CD. I Hot Synched my 680 to the computer AND LOST EVERYTHING!

Years of contacts, memo's, calendar entries...gone. What a PITA. I am extremely disappointed in this latest screwing by my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlynch53 View Post
    Thank you! As I say, all is working well now, but I simply want to be ready for any eventuality!

(And, personally, I'm working hard to resist the temptation to buy something 'smarter' like an iPhone or competing device. Staying organized is one thing; insisting on always being 'connected' is quite another. IMHO, the belief that one must always be connected and available is just plain NUTS!)

Mike
    That is so true! I recently gave up my Palm Pre because I felt like being "Too Connected" was actually disconnecting me from everyone. I missed the keyboard from my 755p, but wanted the openness of GSM so I went to ebay and got me a 680. Then Unlocked it through GSM Liberty and voila! Back to an OS that just simply works!
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    That is so true! I recently gave up my Palm Pre because I felt like being "Too Connected" was actually disconnecting me from everyone. I missed the keyboard from my 755p, but wanted the openness of GSM so I went to ebay and got me a 680. Then Unlocked it through GSM Liberty and voila! Back to an OS that just simply works!
    I just dumbed my Windows 6.5 to go back to a treo 755p for the same reasons mantioned here, it just plain works, I am curious though, what do you mean by the openness of GSM?
    Thanks
    Terry