1.    #1  
    I live in England and I recieved my 270 this morning after ordering it a week ago. I have just started using it after the initial 2 hour charge. My first impressions are that I am dissapointed with the screen. Its nothing like the pictures on the web site. The colour is ok but there is no white due to the strong green cast so it can look just like and old monochrome palm when using things like datebook or memo pad. The screen is not snappy like a palm 515 as it tends to paint the screen rather than just flick it on so its gives the appearance that the device is slow. Also I think not having graffiti will take some getting used to but I'm sure time will improve the situation. It seems to have synced ok and brought all the data from my old palm. I have only made one phone call and reception was load and clear. The ring tones are nice and the vibration is strong. I have collected my emails and was impressed with the speed compared to my old I/R to 6210 combo. The unit appears to be well made and does not feel flimsy at all. I will post more after a couple of days of use but my overall first impression is that the screen is poor but the overall package makes up for it.
    Last edited by PaulK100; 06/05/2002 at 06:37 AM.
    As long as the brightness of the screen is at minimum brighter than the m505 and under the m515 I'll be happy.

I assumed it would be comparable to the m515.
    I have finally seen one of these things (still waiting on my own). I think the screen is great. Not as bright but as the Visor Prism but a big steup from the monochrome unit that I got now.The screen is not as bright outdoors, but is a helluva lot more viewable and useable than the Visor Prism. The 3D dial pad button is very slick. Can't wait to get my hands on my own.
    Yardie, thanks, I guess that is a real measure for me is how it compares to the prism. I think the prism is a very bright screen, I knew the 270 would not be that bright but sounds promising. I'm not really concerned about how great the outdoor use is as long as I can see the quick dial and keys. Yardie, where did you see one? Any other impressions, how fast does the screen paint etc.
    I borrowed one from a friend for about for 10 minutes. No it is not in retail yet. Didn't get to play around with it that too much. I spent most of the time oohing and ahhing. The screen is really good like I said. Only thing is that you wont be able to use its as a Flash light like the Prism. I didn't notice any screen paint issues the short time I had the device. Overall I think the device is worth the price and the looong wait. Backlighted keyboard is an added touch..no more looking for light when I am in the dark to type. As you saw in other reviews, the unit is slightly heavier... i actually notice the extra weight. The steel grey finish is nice. I think I like it a little better than the Blue finish on the 180.

Originally posted by george_vc
    Yardie, thanks, I guess that is a real measure for me is how it compares to the prism. I think the prism is a very bright screen, I knew the 270 would not be that bright but sounds promising. I'm not really concerned about how great the outdoor use is as long as I can see the quick dial and keys. Yardie, where did you see one? Any other impressions, how fast does the screen paint etc.
    My anticipation level is high and now it's higher. I really liked the 180 (sold now) but after going back to the prism for a while it made me really see how much I enjoy and missed color. I know it's not a requirement but it makes the user experience so much better. The 270 sounds great.
    Originally posted by yardie
    The 3D dial pad button is very slick. Can't wait to get my hands on my own.
    What's the 3D dial pad button? The soft screen keypad for the phone? The HS pictures don't look very dimensional. I expect that the reverse image compared to the visorphone soft dial pad will provide better outdoor use.
  8.    #8  
    Having spent the day with the 270 I can say that it absolutely superb. The features are very impressive and it is very easy to use, they have obviously put some effort into its design. Although if a graffiti model was available I still would have chosen it, I have to say that I have quickly become a fast user of the keyboard. The battery life is good, I have handled 23 calls today and used the pda a lot and its still going strong. I'm getting used to the green tint on the screen now and my only other critisism would be that the edge of the filp cover digs into your ear a bit when using the phone on longer calls and causes some discomfort. would I buy a treo 270 again? Definately! I love it!
    I am talking about the onscreen dialling pad. I was expecting it to be flat like the VisorPhone, but it is actually raised. It has a "tap me" look to it. While the VisorPhone and Treo keypad sort of look dull and uninteresting. The colors are so nice in the speed dial . Teh Voicemail button is yellow by default (not sure if this can be changed).

Originally posted by george_vc

What's the 3D dial pad button? The soft screen keypad for the phone? The HS pictures don't look very dimensional. I expect that the reverse image compared to the visorphone soft dial pad will provide better outdoor use.
    I just got my 270 from UPS (I'm in England) and have to say that it makes the Treo experience even better.

I did like my 180 but I found the screen difficult to read. The 270 not only has a lovely bright (and colourful) screen but the backlit keyboard means I can finally use it without having to find a light.

The new stylus is definitely an improvement. It makes using the thin scrollbars much easier.

I've even started playing games again (I found trying to play any game in B/W simply annoying).

One of the coolest things is getting the beta of Ringo 3 and being able to put a colour (8-bit) image of the caller on the screen along with the custom ring!
    Last edited by bradsjm; 06/08/2002 at 05:00 AM.
    new stylus?!?!?!??
    Originally posted by septimus
    new stylus?!?!?!??

i remember reading in a different post that it's basically the same, but it's got a sharper/finer "point" at the tip.

i haven't seen one first-hand though.
    I like the new stylus. It should be more accurate to taps because of the finer tip.

Originally posted by hyperenough

i remember reading in a different post that it's basically the same, but it's got a sharper/finer "point" at the tip.

i haven't seen one first-hand though.
    One of the coolest things is getting the beta of Ring 3.0 and being able to put a colour (8-bit) image of the caller on the screen along with the custom ring!
    Where can Ringer 3.0 be found? I searched PalmGear but there were too many hits to sift through

Thanks!
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    its called ringo
    Ok, tried to get a picture of the new stylus tip for you. Its not the best quality but you should get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images