1.    #1  
    As I hinted in another thread, I fabricated my own car mount out of a Promax/Seidio holster and a Pro.Fit custom mounting clip. I have a page with details and pictures here.

Enjoy!

Paul
    Looks like a great job. I'm also waiting for my 270 and I intend to just keep it in my pocket vs. hanging it on my belt. However, I did order a Promax holster with the same idea you had - for the car only. I will copy your setup and will anxiously await for your road test!
    Ed
    ok, I'm a slacker and didn't see your post until today. But I'm unable to get to your sever to see the pics. I'm interested in your solution, as I'm becoming dissatisfied with the mount I'm using. I'll keep trying, but if you can, could you post your pics to the thread?

Thanks!
    -Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  4.    #4  
    Lots of pics and they're kinda big.

My marvelous DSL connection upchucked on Saturday - hopefully will be back online sometime today. Sorry.

Paul
  5.    #5  
    OK. The DSL fairy got my connection working again. So see it while you can.

Paul
    Very good pics, Paul. It also looks really secure. What I dislike about my current mount is that it's so floppy and wobbly. I have to be careful when opening the lid so as not to pull the Treo off the mount in the process. It also doesn't face me, which is something the ProFit mounts do. I held my Treo in my van in about the same position it would be with the mount, and I liked it a lot. If something as good doesn't come out soon, I think I'll give your idea a go... too bad it's so spendy. :\

I wonder if anyone has a seido holster they're not using that they'd sell for cheap.

-Greg

PS. I hope that kid has a license! ;-)
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  7.    #7  
    OK - I've been using the new car mount for about a week. Here's my report:

1) It hasn't broken yet! The epoxy is still holding, the Seidio clip hasn't broken, etc. If someone really jerked on it I suspect the epoxy would fail - but I'm slamming the phone in and out and it's still on there...
    2) It works pretty darn good. It's a little harder to snap in there than I'd like, but not too terribly hard. It's easy enough to get out. It's easy to reach while I drive. I can see the screen for caller ID, etc.

I read another post that said that Promax is redesigning their holster to make it less breakage-prone... If it will still allow the treo to open then maybe I'll upgrade.

The post also said Promax expressed interest in making a car-mount version themselves - though the magic of mine is the Pro.Fit clip... and I doubt they'd have anything that works that well...

Paul
    I don't know about Promax, but Seidio where quite intrested in receiving FeedBack and ideas...

so send them these Tips, and maybe we will all get some better products.
    Paul,
    Were did you get that headset I saw in your pics?
  10.    #10  
    The headset is a Plantronics M143-N1. It works great with the Treo. I ordered it directly from Plantronics. May be available at Best Buy, etc.

Paul
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    FYI all. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the optional cell phone holder and my Treo 270 fit in quite nicely. Fortunately the grabber arms open quite wide (it is motorized) and I am able to push the closer button (the cell phone back hits it) with my finger. I have had to do this recently anyway b/c it lost its sensitivity.

If I have a digital camera I would take a picture but perhaps this might be modifiable for others w/out Jeeps. Basically it attaches with a couple of screws to a point in the dash where the radio is and was pretty easy to install (I did it myself). The motorized part works off the cig lighter and it includes an adapter so you can still used the cig lighter for your charger. Hope this helps,
    --Denny

P.S. I can't directly post the URL here for the holder but you navigate to it by starting here http://www.mopar.com/m_acc_cat_part.jsp
    and then picking Jeep, 2002 Grand Cherokee 4WD, Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD, Paint Color (whatever) and then zip (whatever although I am 80003). Next pick driving experience on the left and then pick the cell phone holders sub-category and there you are. Enjoy.
  12.    #12  
    I used this heavily with no issues for a couple of months. Then last week when jamming the phone in there it snapped off the clips that grab the antenna.

While I thought this would be a tragedy, turns out it isn't all that bad. While it doesn't have the reassuring "snap in" fit that it used to, the treo still sits nicely in the Seidio holster, doesn't fall out when I drive (even aggressively) and is easier to remove and replace while driving. Only downside is it isn't as firmly mounted while pushing buttons, etc. but still is acceptable.

Paul
    the same thing happened to me paul my clip snapped a week after i bought the holster but it works fine for a car mount. fred
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    I used this heavily with no issues for a couple of months. Then last week when jamming the phone in there it snapped off the clips that grab the antenna.

While I thought this would be a tragedy, turns out it isn't all that bad. While it doesn't have the reassuring "snap in" fit that it used to, the treo still sits nicely in the Seidio holster, doesn't fall out when I drive (even aggressively) and is easier to remove and replace while driving. Only downside is it isn't as firmly mounted while pushing buttons, etc. but still is acceptable.

Paul
    Paul,

I broke mine purposely because it was too tight. I've been using it as a car mount from day 1 with the above set up. However, I use a 1" hair elastic (or rubber band) to secure it from the antenna to the clip.

This set up really attracts attention from other drivers. They think I have some sort of a small TV or a cool radar detector in my car!
    Ed
    I have found an EXCELLENT car holder and mounting ststem at www.proclipusa.com.

Can't say enough good things about how it works for my 270!!!

The link is directly to the product page..

http://www.easytrade.net/abm/product.dip?item=899322