1.    #1  
    Had a few moments to ask the Staples people at their store at Park Avenue and 56th Street in Manhattan to open the box and let me play around with a Treo 90. Didn't get much of a chance to put the unit through its paces, but what I feared would be its biggest disappointment; namely its STN screen, wasn't a disappointment at all. The screen (and I wasn't even sure that I had the backlight on - I didn't think to test for that while I had the unit in hand) was very sharp, decently bright and with decent color saturation. Can't compare to the recent Clie's for resolution and color depth - but not too shabby.

Exceptionally lightweight and "handle-able." I'll try to play around more at lunchtime.

Charlie
    Charlie, thanks, please post more when you have more time with the unit. Please put it side by side with the M130 and give your impressions if possible.
    Got it at the Raleigh Staples too. Think I'm gonna go get one on my way East tonight...
  4.    #4  
    Had a chance to play around some more with the Treo 90 at Staples in NYC - in fact, compared units at two different Staples stores located near one another in midtown Manhattan. Screen is very satisfactory - although I was disappointed to note that one unit had a much brighter patch in its upper right-hand corner than did the other unit that I sampled. This suggests to me the almost inevitable unevenness in production quality.

When compared to the M130 the Treo 90 does rather well - both have that "bluish" whiteness to their home screen background coloring and the Treo does have more evident black gridlines than does the M130 (they're almost imperceptible on the M130) - however the Treo seems a bit less "bluish" and somewhat brighter. There's a brightness control and a contrast control. In any event, I'm happy to say that the Treo far, far surpasses the dim and ugly M505 passive matrix screen. As you can gather, I'm a bit fixated on screen quality and find the Treo 90 screen a good one - the fact that it's not TFT probably means that it conserves battery power more than an active matrix screen would.

One drawback - the guys at Staples accompanied me outside into today's beautiful sunny New York City and, unless the unit is held so that the sunlight shines directly onto what I understand is the backlit, transflective screen - again, unless that's the case, the screen washes out very badly with an almost detail-erasing greenish cast affecting "discernability" (is there such a word?).