1.    #1  
    Is HS going to ship the 270 with GPRS?
    When will it be GPRS ready?
    LARRY

GOD BLESS AMERICA
    The 180 and 270 both have GPRS radios built in them and ready to go, however GPRS service for the Treos and other iStream devices wont be ready untill the end of the summer.
    Hope this helpds

Dave
    No one knows. They (handspring) said second half of the year. So, after june and before january.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  4.    #4  
    dave how is it built in but not ready to use? the service is READY in my location.
    The GPRS hardware that is built into the units are useless without the GPRS software to make use of it. What Handspring is goign to release is the GPRS software.

Originally posted by whiteytech
    dave how is it built in but not ready to use? the service is READY in my location.
    As posted elsewhere, there are two issues holding back the Treo GPRS update:

(i) Reworking Palm OS code to support GPRS data connections - possibly including background connection support necessary for "mostly always on" GPRS functionality. I suspect that this work would have been completed months ago - although given that the current Treo Wavecom module has no GPRS software functionality then it is possible that Handspring are waiting on stable GPRS code from Wavecom.

(ii) GSM carrier support. Whilst many carriers allow the use of any GSM handset (meeting GSM standards) for voice the same is not currently true for GSM/GPRS handsets and GPRS data. Handspring are probably waiting for streamlined GPRS data approvals and/or support in the major GSM markets before releasing the update.

If they release it early they'll just create a support headache and a few thousand dissatisfied customers.

Having said that ... personally I think they should offer an "early adopter" release for the maniacs amongst us in Europe and Asia to start testing it.

Regards,
    David
    Originally posted by davburns
    As posted elsewhere, there are two issues holding back the Treo GPRS update:
    (ii) GSM carrier support
    Why is this an issue for Handspring but not for Blackberry? The new Blackberry phone (5810) is GSM/GPRS and already available and working with always-on e-mail.
    Why is this an issue for Handspring but not for Blackberry? The new Blackberry phone (5810) is GSM/GPRS and already available and working with always-on e-mail.
    Good point. The 5810 is 900/1900 but then RIM have since released a 900/1800 version for Europe & Asia. Certainly RIM are building GSM/GPRS carrier partnerships (read channels) in more than a few countries which may well be an effective way of working around some of the carrier approval issues.

Have Handspring dropped the ball - hope not - but if they don't get the GPRS update out the door by the end of Q3 (arguably earlier) they'll be beaten up by more than a few customers and competitors.

dB
    I can't remember where I read the information and it was around the 180 announce time. But as I recall there is a 3rd party company that is actually writing the GPRS support for the palm OS for Handspring, not HS itself. The problems are not with the network, most of them are GPRS enabled, and GPRS support already exists for some PPC and symbian devices on those networks.

For the palm OS, it's a different story GPRS to palm code must be written and tested. As I recall, there were some business conflicts between HS and the 3rd party developer that was developing that GPRS support for them. Perhaps this is related to the GPRS support not already deployed.

I think the GPRS enablement to the treo will be a big deal, as this enables some major functionality to the treo to directly compete with other wireless devices surrounding always on related support. My biggest concern will be the cost of the GPRS services, with a nice big color display on the treo 270 (compared to phones) you could gobble up the bytes of any plan in a hurry.
    My biggest concern will be the cost of the GPRS services, with a nice big color display on the treo 270 (compared to phones) you could gobble up the bytes of any plan in a hurry.
    That's why the carriers must offer an unlimited data plan (at least for e-mail) for a flat monthly fee.
    Originally posted by DougI

That's why the carriers must offer an unlimited data plan (at least for e-mail) for a flat monthly fee.
    It's not going to happen ... the cellular companies see wireless data as a cash cow and are going to charge accordingly. People who expect to have any more than light usage are going to have to pay through the nose to get wireless data with GPRS. The model has already been established here in SoCal where Cingular is charging per byte rate for ANY data accessed through wireless networks on the Motorola and Eriksson phones that already support GPRS.

The only relief in sight is when GPRS data begins being subsized with commercial advertisements delivered directly to the phones ... although relief may only be a relative term ....

People who expect to have any more than light usage are going to have to pay through the nose to get wireless data with GPRS.
    But Voicestream already offers unlimited data (for e-mail, at least) on the new Blackberry GSM/GPRS PDA/phone for $39.99/month. Why shouldn't they be able to do the same for Treo?

But Voicestream already offers unlimited data (for e-mail, at least) on the new Blackberry GSM/GPRS PDA/phone for $39.99/month. Why shouldn't they be able to do the same for Treo?
    It only offers it on business accounts.

From the website ...
    *Wireless e-mail and calendar synchronization requires BlackBerry Enterprise Server v2.1 or higher

There is likely a cost for the BlackBerry Server software, and you are limited to calling into a corporate server.

The standard GPRS plans (iStream) charge a data rate whether it is for web or email access.
    All those in North America who can't wait for GPRS is goign to get a rude awakening once the patch is released. There wont be any unlimited GPRS for some time for PDAs...and the GPRS is very expensive per kb and even as part of packages ($18 USD/2 MB and .03/kb with FIDO in Canada).

E-mail is just about all the Blackberry is good at. As such, some carriers can afford to give unlimited email download.

Originally posted by yardie
    All those in North America who can't wait for GPRS is goign to get a rude awakening once the patch is released. There wont be any unlimited GPRS for some time for PDAs...and the GPRS is very expensive per kb and even as part of packages ($18 USD/2 MB and .03/kb with FIDO in Canada).
    The really funny part is that on many GSM networks the circuit switched data costs are either lower or else included in monthly plans.

Example: Telstra (Aust) want $AUS0.022 per kilobyte for GPRS connections. Compare this to $AUS0.33/minute for circuit switched data to Internet. With an average (say) 50 kB of mail headers per session - which one would you use?!

As I've said elsewhere there are issues with Treo data compression whcih would allow even further gains with circuit switched data... hopefully HS will fix these problems.

dB