1.    #1  
    Hey Gang,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking for an application that works similar to MS Word-Forms and Fields. I would like to create a form I could use on my visor for incident reports, investigations, etc. I've tried "Incident!" from Biondnet ( a decent generic starter), but what I need is a form that I can customize specific to my industry and company requirments. I've tried Quicksheet also, but the form I created on my desktop didn't carry over to my PDA, meaning it worked like a normal doc. the dropdown lists and field areas didn't work. (don't think it can be used for this purpose). The app. needs to be reasonably priced, as my company will not reinburse me (not considered a job necessity) and I need to be able to save the completed forms to my desktop, as well as print copies for filing purposes. I do not have internet access at work, so it can't use the 'net for storage and retrieval, If anyone knows of an app. please let me know, or perhaps an expert out there can help me design one?
    Great Ideas Need Landing Gear, As Well As Wings!
    Thanks,
    Birddog
  3.    #3  
    pendragon requires web access, as the info is stored on the 'net asd you must retreive it from there each time you use it. Any other ideas?
    Great Ideas Need Landing Gear, As Well As Wings!
    Thanks,
    Birddog
    Hmm... I use Pendragon Forms and it does not require internet access. The data is absolutely not stored on the internet but in an Access database. You can also connect it via odbc to other databases (sql server, an external Access database, etc). Not sure where you got this info but you might want to look again at Pendragon forms.

Also, ThinkDB might meet your needs.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I recently read an article about a place where they just use the memo pad for a similar application.

Each line is written like:
    [name]
    [date]
    [location], etc. They copy a new page to complete in the field, or use Word to create or save .txt version at the shop. You highlight the 'field', and re-type what you want it to say.

Not as neat or clean as other programs might be, but it has the advantage of being easy to share over several people with differing Palms and set-ups.

It also backs-up automatically with a hot sync, is included in the 'Find' function, and memos do not take up much room!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Sounds like you could very effectively create what you need using ThinkDB2. You could easily create your own tabbed form(s), to capture the data you need (i.e. Pull-Down Lists, Radio Buttons, Checkboxes, Text, Num fields), then sync it to their desktop app, MS Access, or Excel. The price may prove to be more than you're looking to invest though... FREE! You can also download Plug-Ins from their web site to add functionality (i.e. ToDo List, Time Log, etc.), and they advertise the use of PrintBoy with their DB, so I'm guessing your print options may be their. You may have deduced that I'm in the Human Resources field (yes, I know it's not YOUR fault) and I use ThinkDB2 extensively. There's also a link on their website for TinyBytes - mini datatbases or functions that palm users have developed and posted for others to use. I've used it extensively for workplace investigations, interview evaluations, project planning, recruiting/hiring logs, etc.
    HRdude

"There's no birthday party for me here!"
    ThinkDB hasn't been free for quite a while.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I was looking for a fishing log application for my Treo and happened to see ThinkDB mentioned in this thread. Within 30 min I had downloaded, installed and programed a little database app that fit my needs perfectly - all without reading a manual! I highly recomend it!
    So far I've caught 23 Largemouth Bass on four trips and I'll be adding more on Saturday! What is your Fish of Choice, Jackson40?
    HRdude

I would like to see this fishing log, mine isn't looking so good this year
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Striped Bass, Kayak fishing off Cape Cod! Sometimes we catch blues-most of the time we catch nothing

If anyone wants a copy of the log program I created (you need a copy of thinkDB for it to work I think) I'd be happy to email it-just let me know
    I don't fish ... but thought I should mention this freeware/donationware. Not affiliated in any way.

Fishing Log Version 3.2

Get it here: http://www.3store.com/palm.htm

Also if you have Filemaker, you can get Filemaker Mobile 2.0 supports up to 50 fields.

Enjoy
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    There is no shortage of fishing log programs. It's just that none of them were doing it for me. Either they were to complicated, data entry was awkward, or the ability to customize was limited... Here are just a few that I sampled:

Fish Friend
    FishinBUDY
    Fishing Journal
    Fishing Log

Just do a search for "fishing log" at PalmGear.
    I would also suggest ThinkDB -- either ThinkDB and it's PC Desktop application (which can export to an Excel-compatible file), or ThinkDB and DBSync (where you would have a printable version of the form in Access).

I've used ThinkDB and DBSync to keep a moderate-size relational database on both my Palm and my PC. It's a bit of work to get going with DBSync, and you have to visit the Yahoo ThinkDB group a lot for info, but it does work very well when you've finished. The Desktop app might be a better solution for you -- quicker, and does most of what you want.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    DamnPeople-

Thanks for posting your site. I just started looking for a bass club and/or small (tiny would be better) tourneys in Wisconsin. My fishin' buddy moved to Texas and my kids aren't quite ready for my marathon outings yet. I read a great book recently called Diary of a Bass Pro by Joe Thomas, which is blow-by-blow account of what actually happens on the Pro Bass Tour. He had such a horrific year that I felt a lot better about blanking on so many trips last year.

I've bookmarked your site so I can follow the tournament action!

NO PRISONERS!!!
    HRdude