1.    #1  
    I'm looking at getting a Visor Pro. Before I rush off and order one without knowing details, is there an upgrade to Palm OS 4.0 planned for the Visor series (and should I wait?) or can I upgrade to Palm OS 4.0 when it comes out (according to my research the Visors do not have flash-upgradeable ROMs)?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Originally posted by cluth
    I'm looking at getting a Visor Pro. Before I rush off and order one without knowing details, is there an upgrade to Palm OS 4.0 planned for the Visor series (and should I wait?) or can I upgrade to Palm OS 4.0 when it comes out (according to my research the Visors do not have flash-upgradeable ROMs)?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Handspring has been notorious for sticking customers with whatever OS the machine comes with. Be very sure you want the OS on that machine, because that's pretty much all you can ever get.

That said, unless you know of a feature in 4.x that you needa and can't get either in 3.x or in a hack, don't worry about it.
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    OK... then the question becomes what's radically different in 4.0 that is worht waiting for? If the only major differences are as on Palm's web page at http://www.palm.com/software/palmos4.html then it seems like it's not really worth waiting for. However, are new pieces of software going to be crafted that will only work in OS 4? Will I be left in the dust with an antiquated piece of equipment?

I bought my computer right (literally a week) before Apple introduced the next jump up in computing horsepower for the same price...so I don't want that to happen with any other computing device. I also don't want to wait months on end for a PDA (I guess I could wait until August before I really would need one, though).

Thanks,
    Chris
    The new OS5 devices should be out around August or so, but the way I hear it, there will be very few apps that run native in OS5 by then, most will run under the "classic" mode of OS5. Look around Palmgear and see what is available now in software. An OS3.5xxx device will most of that stuff too, if not all of it.
    Out of the thousands of apps on palmgear.com, I have probably seen only about 2 that are designed specifically for Palm OS 4. With Palm OS 5 on the horizon, its doubtful that you will see much Palm OS 4 apps created at all. BTW none of the devices on the market today will eb upgradeable to Palm OS 5.
  6.    #6  
    Wow! Palm OS 5...despite all the looking around, I haven't heard of that. So, if they're going to be available in August, then should I wait until then and get a device with Palm OS 5?

Will Handspring make any Visor or Visor-comparable (with Visor-like prices) with Palm OS 5? Or is it a long shot that's not worth waiting for?

Chris
    Not sure if they will be available in August, it's all speculation. Best advice I can offer is to decide what you want it for, then purchase based off that decision. I can't imagine OS5 being helpful unless you want some sort of multimedia.
  8.    #8  
    Hmm...

So how long before Visor Pro prices take a dive because of newer and better things?

I guess I won't wait.

Chris
    I think they just lowered prices on all the Visors.
    The pro has already dropped $100 since its release
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Some apps use Palm OS 4.0 to be aware of time zones and daylight savings time changes. OS 3.x systems (like my Pro) can't exploit that functionality.