1.    #1  
    I am currently test driving GroceryMate 1.0, and quite frankly, think it bites. What is a good grocery list program that is both free, and will allow me to beam my list to my wife and (ideally) append to her grocery list?
  2. jke
    Handy Shopper great app and check out there Yahoo group. Palm Gear is where ya can find it of course.
    Yup, HandyShopper, hands down!
    Have used it for two years (and have upgraded it to HandyShopper 2.1 as well). Completely free, and a great program.

I've ended up using it for a number of non-grocery tasks as well. Checklist for things to take on vacation and a trip; checklist of vanpool members riding today (we can never forget who rode to work before leaving at the end of the day); etc.

As requested, I've sent the author postcards whenever I've upgraded.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Handyshopper or Splashshopper. Handyshopper is free, but I like the desktop app that goes with splashshopper. I like them both, but I personally choose to go with splashshopper even through it cost $20.

They are very similar in their look and feel, and both of them cas be used for more things than just grocery shopping. I use them to write down birthday and christmas gift ideas for people, to keep track of which beers I liked and didn't like.
    Brian
    I have used Listmaker for all kinds of things--shopping,work, etc. It allows the creation of "common items" so that if I open my "To Buy: Pharmacy" list, for example, i go into the common view, check off the things out of that list that i need and they are transferred into my working list.

It also has a desktop program.

www.synsolutions.com

Kelley

However, my sister, who has to do all the shopping in her house swears by Handyshopper.
  7.    #7  
    I've installed HandyShopper, opened it, and haven't a clue as to how it is supposed to work, or what it is supposed to do. The manual is useless...what am I missing here? (Chrisssst, I can't even figure out where to start).
    Well, now, it's my sister who swears by Handy Shopper. I use Listmaker. Sorry to be of no service.
    HandyShopper is useful and powerful...but way too complicated for the avergae user. You do not even know how to use it and you are a medium to power user.

Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    I've installed HandyShopper, opened it, and haven't a clue as to how it is supposed to work, or what it is supposed to do. The manual is useless...what am I missing here? (Chrisssst, I can't even figure out where to start).
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by yardie
    You do not even know how to use it and you are a medium to power user.
    I am pathetic.
    First: you need to createa new database (pull down menu --> DB --> New Database...

They have a couple pre-formatted DB's. Just type in the name of the database (groceries) and select shopping list.

Select OK at the dialog box with all the options. That's the confusing part. Ignore it.

You'll see a blank screen with three columns. Something that says "All Stores", a 'Q' column, and a '$' column.

The only thing I kinda wished they had was a preset list of common items such as milk, butter, bread, etc. so you didn't have to type it in. Since you'll have to do that, just start it off with common items you get from the store and whatever you need for the current run.

As you enter in new items, you leave them unchecked. If you're always forgetting where in tarnation the honey is located in the store, you can put down which aisle in which store it's in and the price as well.

Let me know if you need add'l help.

NJM
    I've got to vote for HandyShopper as well. It takes some time to enter the items but a couple of grocery trips and the task is complete.

You can keep all kinds of lists too, I have one for packing on vacation, one for Christmas, one for hardware, liquor store.

Hey it's also Free!

They run two for the price of one deals from time to time as well.

Hey my wife loves it too! (she could figure out how it works )
    One of the coolest things about HandyShopper (I suspect SplashShopper can do this too) is that you can sort the All view alphabetically to easily find stuff and sort the Need view by aisle. Sorting Need by aisle makes the actual shopping trip much easier and faster.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I think NeilMcD covered HandyShopper setup pretty well. The work is getting the initial database entered.

Once you've got that done, the process of marking off the items to buy, and then checking them off, is pretty well explained by the "How To Use..." menu item under the Misc menu.

----
    Two side notes:

I haven't been able to find HandyShopper 1.x around anywhere. That was a less powerful, but a tad easier to learn, version.

Hey! There's a program that allows you to edit your HandyShopper database on the PC with Excel -- HS2Edit for Excel! Cool beans!
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."