Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I had a Treo 650 for about a year, used it daily and was well satisfied. However I don't know all about the full Treo line, and I'm hoping there's a Treo guru who can point me in the right direction here.

I want to get a newer model than the 650, one that is Wi-Fi capable, yet one still old enough to be able to get at a decent price (under $80) on Ebay. The 755p fits the bill. The Verizon one is significantly cheaper than the Sprint, not sure why.

Now my question to the TreoCentral community is:

What is the best method (cheapest) to get unlimited data?

and

What voice options are the most price effective?

Ideally, I want to get unlimited data ONLY, and then use VOIP software for talk.

It's hard to find any carrier that will allow you to have data only, and those that do, charge just as much as many of their higher end voice plans for it.

I would be fairly happy with no data access (and use Wi-Fi only), as long as voice was cheap. This is also difficult, as Verizon won't activate a 755p without BOTH a data plan AND voice plan.

There are threads discussing this elsewhere on the forum, but they are outdated.

If anyone feels that the 755p isn't the right choice for this, please let me know and why.

Thanks

Hypothetical situation, would this work:

Buy a cheap pre-paid GSM phone for Verizon, and activate it. Pull the SIM card, and put it in the Verizon Palm Treo 755p.
    Last edited by zanthal; 03/14/2010 at 07:06 PM.
    You do know that there are no Treos running Garnet (Palm OS 5) with wifi, don't you? I think the Treo Pro had Wifi, but it was a WinMo phone and only available on Sprint. It is also out of production, as is the entire Treo/Centro line.
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    So the 755p runs Windows Mobile? I know Palm OS 5 had a huge number of freeware apps available, is that the case with Windows Mobile 5+ ?
    No, Treo 755p runs PalmOS 5. As far as alot of free apps for WinMo, I can't help you there.

If you were to match phone plan with data for phone plan with data, Sprint is WAY cheaper that Verizon.

Good Luck
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I just made the realization I don't really need a text plan either ... Google Voice does SMS sending and receiving for free.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    I think the Treo Pro had Wifi, but it was a WinMo phone and only available on Sprint.
    My Treo 650 didn't have Wi-Fi which was something I really wanted.

It's funny all the ads on Ebay selling used used 755p's say it has Wi-Fi

Now I read up on CNet reviews on the 755p and it says no Wi-Fi

Who the heck are you supposed to believe these days
    The 755p does NOT have wifi. I've had the phone for more than two years and if it had it, I would have found it.

It is, now that developers aren't writing or updating Garnet (Palm OS 5.0) apps any more, incredibly stable, though.

Which is why I haven't upgraded my handset yet.

And as to ebay, well, anyone who takes what the seller's say as gospel deserve what they get.

H.
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by zanthal View Post
    My Treo 650 didn't have Wi-Fi which was something I really wanted.

It's funny all the ads on Ebay selling used used 755p's say it has Wi-Fi

Now I read up on CNet reviews on the 755p and it says no Wi-Fi

Who the heck are you supposed to believe these days

I own a Treo 755p - and trust me "there is no wi-fi" and it doesn't matter if it is a Verizon, Sprint, or unbranded - no wi-fi!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    You are asking the impossible. The best Palm based phone is the 755p, and it lacks in features. No Wifi, No Gps.

Sprint has the best deal on unlimited data of all the carriers, but this comes with phones that lack other things.

Also, you will never Voip on the Treo, which is pointless without Wifi anyway. The Sprint talk plans are cheap- so I don't know why you would want to.

Realize, all of these things that the Palm based Treo's have on sprint platforms are caused by greed not lack of technology. The 700 series can have wifi just fine, under Verizon and a windoze based OS. It's just Sprint that cripples it's devices so it can sell you 3g cards and such. Don't expect any GPS on a 755p either. I have no idea why.

If you are still a Sprint/Palm fan, get a pixi for 99$. It's decent.

However, nothing compares to what i have now, and it's not Palm

ps. "fan-boy" is a bad word???"
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs