1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if you can sync a Treo 270 with Mac OS X and the Palm desktop 4 software? There is a note in the Treo 90 FAQ that says you can't use Mac OS X and it made me nervous about the 270.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    You most certainly can. Handspring just doesn't want to officially say that you can, because they don't want to deal with all the tech support calls they would get from people who don't know to remove the OS updaters before syncing.

Make sure you download the latest version of Palm Desktop 4. It's available on Apple's OSX page. Once you've installed, you need to remove some files. I forget the path (and I don't have my Mac handy), but somewhere in your Palm folder is a subfolder with Palm OS updaters. If you remove those files (just trash them--you'll never be able to use them on the Treo anyway) syncing will work flawlessly (or at least as flawlessly as it ever did).

Handspring needs to get its own OSX compatible version out the door and onto its shipping CDs soon, or risk losing an awful lot of Mac users. OSX is definitely here to stay, and it won't be long before no one is using 9, except the real die-hard eccentrics who more than likely use Newtons as PDAs anyway. (No offense meant by that, by the way. I had a Message Pad 130, and I still think in a lot of ways, it was the best PDA I ever had).
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    what about syncing AvantGo under OSX? i heard there were some issues, and its a pretty killer and important palm app...
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    OSX is definitely here to stay, and it won't be long before no one is using 9, except the real die-hard eccentrics who more than likely use Newtons as PDAs anyway. (No offense meant by that, by the way. I had a Message Pad 130, and I still think in a lot of ways, it was the best PDA I ever had).
    Oh yes, I also keep my 110, because I like it that much. Especially for hitting bad people when they disturb me in the middle of the night, or for weighting my car down so that it doesn't glide too much in the winter on icy roads.

No, just kidding, but the Newton has two problems. It is much too heavy and much to big. If Apple brought out a NewtonOS-PDA in PalmV-form factor, I'd buy it at once, though.
    I'd like to see a Newton in an iPod form factor. Well, maybe a little bigger.