1.    #1  
    Should I buy the GSM version from Voicestream or wait for the CDMA version from Sprint? I can't see a lot of difference in coverage in the area where I live and work (Baltimore Maryland).
    I have a GSM VisorPhone and I am waiting for the CMDA (Sprint PCS) version of the 270. Where I travel in Michigan, the Sprint PCS coverage is much faster. In addition, the next generation Sprint PCS network is supposed to be a lot faster even than GPRS: 144 kpbs vs. 28 kpbs.
  3. ESH
    I have been using a VisorPhone (Prism) on Voicestream since February. I have had no problem whatsoever in the Washington-Baltimore corridor. I think both Sprint and AT&T are a nightmare in this area.

Can't wait to switch the sim card from the Visorphone to the 270 I ordered yesterday morning.
    I live and work entirely in the Washington-Baltimore area and have used both Sprint and AT&T. Both work absolutely perfect in the Washington-Baltimore corridor, especially along I-95. I have also used Voicestream in this same area, well sort of. When I used GSM, it was called Sprint Spectrum (1996) until they were forced to abandon the network and subsequently sold it to Voicestream. Anyways, when I was on this network, coverage was great along the major highways and major areas but spotty everywhere else. I can only imagine coverage has improved drastically since then, and from the above post, it seems it has. Bottom line, in the Washington-Baltimore area, all the major carriers (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and Voicestream) have great coverage. Leave the major areas though and the Voicestream coverage will really suffer (so will the others but not to such a high degree as VS).
    Any thoughts about the apparent speed differences between GPRS, as implemented on the Treo with one channel up and two channels down for a max download speed of 28.8 kbps, vs. the 3G CDMA apparent speed of 144 kbps?
    The Sprint network won't give data speeds anywhere near 144kbps. They can't even achieve that speed now in their testing. The Verizon network, like the Sprint network, is capable of 144kbps but the average user only experiences speeds of 40-60k. The Sprint network will likely give slightly faster speeds (but not that much faster) since they built the network themselves from the ground up and used the same technology all throughout. Any way you look at it though, the Sprint network will offer significantly faster speeds than the GPRS protocol on the Treo on VS's network.
    As a happy CDMA customer for years, I am wary of switching to the GSM network. That's why the VS rep said I should try out the Treo in my area to see how the reception compares to my CDMA phone and if I don't like it, I can always cancel the contract (within a few days) and return it.

The main thing I like about the GSM network is that I can use the Treo in Europe and Asia. I frequently travel in those areas (2 months or so, within a given year) and would love to be able to use the phone. You can't do that with CDMA.

So, I would say, if you don't care about using the phone overseas and like your CDMA network in your area, then wait for the CDMA phone. Though, the only drawback is WHEN the phone will be available.
    For me GSM is my preferred choice because of the WW coverage. GSM is in over 170 countries. I had a recent trip to Denmark, and when I stepped off the plain, turned on the treo and I was in operation. Very nice for emergency situations. SMS messages back to the states from the roaming network were a bit slow, but they got there.
    I am interested in purchasing a Treo 270 sometime during the summer. I currently have a Visor neo and wanted to upgrade to a color model, also I want a reliable cell phone ( all I seem to buy turn out to be pieces of crap). I go to school in a somewhat rural area (The Eastern Shore of Maryland), with verizon an ATT being the only carriers that are not in any sort of roaming here, but neither carrier's network supports the treo. Voicestream and cingular claim to offer roamming in this area ( I would plan to get a nationwide plan to escape these fees), but I know of no one who has a phone with either one of these carriers. I was wondering if anyone one of you treo (or visorphone) owners out there could tell me of your experince with either voicestream or cingular, especially in rual areas. Also, do you think its worth it to get a 270, or should I just upgrade to a prism and get a visorphone?
    I am interested in purchasing a Treo 270 sometime during the summer. I currently have a Visor neo and wanted to upgrade to a color model, also I want a reliable cell phone ( all I seem to buy turn out to be pieces of crap). I go to school in a somewhat rural area (The Eastern Shore of Maryland), with verizon an ATT being the only carriers that are not in any sort of roaming here, but neither carrier's network supports the treo. Voicestream and cingular claim to offer roamming in this area ( I would plan to get a nationwide plan to escape these fees), but I know of no one who has a phone with either one of these carriers. I was wondering if anyone one of you treo (or visorphone) owners out there could tell me of your experince with either voicestream or cingular, especially in rual areas. Also, do you think its worth it to get a 270, or should I just upgrade to a prism and get a visorphone?
    I currently have a VisorPhone on a Prism and in rural areas in Michigan (away from major highways), I get no signal. This is why I am waiting so very patiently for the Sprint PCS version of the Treo 270.
  12. clu
    I think the most significant difference would be the ability to use PQAs in the CDMA version. (I'm guessing - if anyone has more information, please share.)

- Charlie
    PQAs are designed for the Palm's Palm.net service and i705 and VII handhelds. OIts doubtful that the CDMA Treo will have PQA support..ubless of course it has OS 4 installed which makes using PQA files easier.

Originally posted by clu
    I think the most significant difference would be the ability to use PQAs in the CDMA version. (I'm guessing - if anyone has more information, please share.)

- Charlie
    I installed Web Clipping on my Treo 180 GSM without a hitch.

http://www.golddave.com/palm/downloads/webclipping.zip

Install these files. It works great.