1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Got a Treo 180g, and have used the program called 'Speedy' to do some measuring on it. I pretty much will get about 25Mhz back every time. This is with and without the phone turned on.

Do I have a dud unit, or does everybody get these results?

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...9&prodID=35442
    I am puzzled as to why some people like to use unrealiable speed measurement programs to test their units. If the unit is not ast enough for you return it already. There are a lot of factors at aply here..one of which is that there is 16 MB of RAM to address. Don't expect the 33 Mhz Treo to be as fast as the 8 MB and 33 Mhz Visor Platinum.
    yardie wrote:
    There are a lot of factors at aply here..one of which is that there is 16 MB of RAM to address.

That should make a difference in runtime speed as perceived by the user, but it shouldn't make a difference in clock speed -- i.e. it should run slower, but still at 33 Mhz.

I think the upgrade patch Handspring applied to later Treos to extend battery life tweaked the system clock.
  4.    #4  
    I think the upgrade patch Handspring applied to later Treos to extend battery life tweaked the system clock.
    I have not used any upgrade. My unit did not require it. It is one of the newer models.

That should make a difference in runtime speed as perceived by the user, but it shouldn't make a difference in clock speed -- i.e. it should run slower, but still at 33 Mhz.
    I have used a number of speed measurement tools, and they all come between 25 and 28 Mhz. The speed seems ok, but I did expect at least a 33Mhz result.

I am still interested if this is a normal thing, ie. does everybody get a similar speed, or is it only my unit?

Please reply with your results. Thanks
    I'm getting 32.9 Mhz. I'm outraged. They advertised 33, and I want 33! My applications are running a few milliseconds slower than they would otherwise... I'm really ticked off.

You're kidding, right?
    eamler wrote:
    I have not used any upgrade. My unit did not require it. It is one of the newer models.

Exactly: the patch was already integrated into the later models, just like my later-model Prism shipped with the upgrade that fixed the Graffiti problems that early adopters were having. A 33Mhz processor is still a 33Mhz processor, even if it's underclocked to extend battery life. It's just not running at 33Mhz. I'd be willing to bet that an early 180 without the patch does run at 33Mhz.
  7.    #7  
    You're kidding, right?
    Actually I am not kidding... And I am also not carrying on like an *****. I have asked a simple question, and am not getting any real feedback.

25 out of 33 is 76% of the speed, which means I am losing 24%. Forgive me for being a little picky, but I am only asking if anybody else is getting similiar results, or is it just me. I am not making an issue between 32 and 33 Mhz.

Somebody mentioned inaccurate tools for measuring the speed, well what are my alternatives.

This is not a hard thing to do, run the program on your Treo, and see if you get similar results.

Thanks
    eamler wrote:
    This is not a hard thing to do, run the program on your Treo, and see if you get similar results.

Trust me, it is hard, especially if you're like me and you don't have a Treo yet
    I used a program called benchmark which measures speed relative to the Palm IIIe (100%). This program indicates that a Visor Deluxe should run at 145% and the Platinum at 204%.

My 'first generation' Treo clocked in at 162% - slightly better than a Visor Deluxe - which is probably correct as I don't notice much of a speed improvement from my Visor.

Michael
  10.    #10  
    My 'first generation' Treo clocked in at 162%
    Mine clocks in at 155%. This is including hacks. Thanks a lot, it does basically tell me that the slow running is normal to the Treo.

Cheers
    Originally posted by eamler

Actually I am not kidding... And I am also not carrying on like an *****. I have asked a simple question, and am not getting any real feedback.

25 out of 33 is 76% of the speed, which means I am losing 24%. Forgive me for being a little picky, but I am only asking if anybody else is getting similiar results, or is it just me. I am not making an issue between 32 and 33 Mhz.

Somebody mentioned inaccurate tools for measuring the speed, well what are my alternatives.

That's a valid point that the tool maybe inaccurate. We don't know if it was designed to take into account the cell phone radio that could account for the missing 24% of the cycles. It may be designed to assume that there are no background processes running, or processes that don't take up a lot of cycles, as is the case with a simple PDA. I'm guessing that it is executing some simple program and then taking the timed results and plugs it into some formula (that doesn't take into account that the cpu is being time-shared with a cycle-consuming radio component) to calculate the speed of the processor.

A worth while test would be to benchmark your results against the Samsung or Kyocera (both use the same 33Mhz processor, I think) and see how the Treo compares.
    Last edited by uncledrunkle; 05/28/2002 at 09:46 PM.
    uncledrunkle wrote:
    A worth while test would be to benchmark your results against the Samsung or Kyocera (both use the same 33Mhz processor, I think) and see how the Treo compares.

The Kyo uses a 20 Mhz Dragonball, which makes playing Galax less challenging. So having a full 33 Mhz is a serious issue after all.