1.    #1  
    I don't know where The Wall Street Journal comes off saying they are being released next week. Handspring still says end of June or July. Why would Handspring lie they could take advanced orders. If it was due to be released next week wouldn't they already being taking orders?
    Mossberg historically has had better access to Handspring than exclusively online journalists. Print publications in general are treated with more regard, especially WSJ. If nothing else, Mossberg is the only journalist claiming to have a 270 review unit.

It's entirely logical that Handspring would give themselves some fudge time. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Mossberg historically has had better access to Handspring than exclusively online journalists. Print publications in general are treated with more regard, especially WSJ. If nothing else, Mossberg is the only journalist claiming to have a 270 review unit.

It's entirely logical that Handspring would give themselves some fudge time. It's better to underpromise and overdeliver.

.... Also, Walt loves Handspring.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by jayzee
    I don't know where The Wall Street Journal comes off saying they are being released next week. Handspring still says end of June or July. Why would Handspring lie they could take advanced orders. If it was due to be released next week wouldn't they already being taking orders?
    I think the color GSM is due out next week whereas the color Sprint CDMA is due out at the end of June (in conjuction with Sprint's 3G rollout). Don't dog on Walt... he's the man.
    Felipe wrote:
    Also, Walt loves Handspring.

Well, he loves the Treo. He wasn't so hip on the VisorPhone.
    Originally posted by jayzee
    The column doesn't say it will be "released"; it says it will be "introduced". There could be a big difference. The 270 could be introduced in a few days (as the column) says, which could mean Handspring will begin taking advance orders for devices that will ship a few weeks later. (That's what happened with the 180, right?!)
    I know for a fact that Handspring will offer the TREO 90 and TREO 270 for sale on Tuesday. I received an e-mail to that effect recently directly from them.

I don't know any further details except that they will indeed be released on Tues...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Originally posted by DougI

The column doesn't say it will be "released"; it says it will be "introduced". There could be a big difference. The 270 could be introduced in a few days (as the column) says, which could mean Handspring will begin taking advance orders for devices that will ship a few weeks later. (That's what happened with the 180, right?!)
    From the newly updated Handspring website, which announces the Treo 270: "Due to high demand and limited availability please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery."
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    As a long time Handspring user (Sep 1999) I am very dissapointed with the Treo 90 and 270. The 90 does not have a jog dial or the ability to use SD IO cards (no bluetooth). The 270 does not have the GPRS function enabled. Why not! Voicestream has rolled out its nationwide data service (Istream), ATT is getting thiers stood up and Cingular is not far behind. What is Handspring waiting for?

One more rant. I have 2 Voicestream stores within 5 miles of my house but when I enter my zip code on the Handspring site it says that Voicestream does not offer any plans in my area (I know this is wrong). The only way to order the Treo is without service! The cost is $699. That is ridiculous for a handheld that cannot take advantage of high speed data. The new XDA (Pocket PC phone) that Voicestream is going to release in June will only cost around $499 and be avialable to anyone off of thier web site. It is a color pocketpc (looks a lot like the IPAQ) with GPRS enabled.

I think Handspring has made a mistake with the Treo (high prices, limited expansion options).
    Originally posted by pavejon
    The 270 does not have the GPRS function enabled. Why not! Voicestream has rolled out its nationwide data service (Istream), ATT is getting thiers stood up and Cingular is not far behind. What is Handspring waiting for?
    Cut Handspring some slack... My source inside the company says that the carriers themselves are the hold up on GPRS. Aside from a very slow rollout nationwide, they force the device makers to get recertified when they enable GPRS. Handspring has working GPRS right now, but the carriers handed them a massive list of required features and tweaks and are dragging their feet on certification. Cingular does not even have their GPRS fully turned on at this point (their customers can not access GPRS right now with most devices). If you want GPRS on Treo sooner, go to VoiceStream and Cingular and hound them. They pay attention to their call reports. Strong public outcry will make them certify faster.

As far as pricing goes... The math seems simple. An iPaq + Sled + GSM/GPRS card = about $1000 and a monster chunk of a device which I would not want to carry around. At that rate an *unsubsidized* Treo 270 is still a lot cheaper and convenient. I'd rather have the keyboard too (just my preference). I'd also like to see any PPC device get more than 10 hours of battery life with the display on (obviously phone standby and talk time seem to be similar across devices)!

Looks like I ranted back... Sorry. Nothing personal!
    Last edited by Fyr654321; 05/27/2002 at 10:34 PM.
    pavejon wrote:
    The 90 does not have a jog dial or the ability to use SD IO cards (no bluetooth).

Unquestionably a huge letdown. Handspring's statement about the possibility of enabling BT and SDIO in the future with a software patch is as suspicious as their statements about the flash memory issue.

The 270 does not have the GPRS function enabled. Why not! Voicestream has rolled out its nationwide data service (Istream), ATT is getting thiers stood up and Cingular is not far behind. What is Handspring waiting for?

Possibly for all providers to have their services online. Not a good reason, but the likely one.

I have 2 Voicestream stores within 5 miles of my house but when I enter my zip code on the Handspring site it says that Voicestream does not offer any plans in my area (I know this is wrong). The only way to order the Treo is without service! The cost is $699.

You should call in your order and explain the situation. Have them check with Voicestream if necessary. You might even try calling the Voicestream stores to see if or when they'll be getting the 270.

The new XDA (Pocket PC phone) that Voicestream is going to release in June will only cost around $499 and be avialable to anyone off of thier web site.

Unless Moore's Law starts applying to battery life, I'd rather wait until I hear some testimonials (from users) about standby and talk time before buying a phone with a 400Mhz X-Scale processor.
    Originally posted by pavejon
    The new XDA (Pocket PC phone) that Voicestream is going to release in June will only cost around $499 and be avialable to anyone off of thier web site. It is a color pocketpc (looks a lot like the IPAQ) with GPRS enabled.
    Interesting... 'cause the Thera Pocket PC offered by Verizon is going to sell for $800 (and that's subsidized with a 2 year contract). From what I can see, the Thera and the PPC in question on the VS website are pretty much the same thing, just different manufacturers. Where did you get the $499 from? The VS website doesn't say how much it is... I would be surprised if you would be able to get a PPC for anything less than $600.
    Originally posted by uncledrunkle

Interesting... 'cause the Thera Pocket PC offered by Verizon is going to sell for $800 (and that's subsidized with a 2 year contract). From what I can see, the Thera and the PPC in question on the VS website are pretty much the same thing, just different manufacturers. Where did you get the $499 from? The VS website doesn't say how much it is... I would be surprised if you would be able to get a PPC for anything less than $600.

I would also add that *any* price that comes from a carrier has $200 worth of subsidy. So that $499 is really $699 without activation. *Boing!!* Suddenly the Thera is $100 more than the 270.

While we are on the subject... I heard the Thera only has 45 minutes of talk time?!?!?! I downloaded the manual from Audiovox and scoured their site, but they mysteriously don't list it anywhere. Anyone know what the story is?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I have done alot of research on the web regarding the new PockePC phone that Voicestream is going to sell. All of the sites I have visited stated the same thing. It will cost around $499 (all sites say that people will be pleasantly surprised by the cost). Also since it will be sold off of the Voicestream website it is available to anyone with Voicestream coverage for this price point (subsidy built in).

Also Voicestreams GPRS service is fully active. There are two devices already avialable from Voicestream (GPRS PC card, Blackberry 5810) that use the GPRS service. I really think Handspring is dragging thier feet on this one. Remember the TREO 180 has been out for a while now and still there is no upgrade to GPRS.

I really do want Handspring to suceed (I bought one of the first 1000 Visors back in Sep 99). But it seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    "You should call in your order and explain the situation. Have them check with Voicestream if necessary. You might even try calling the Voicestream stores to see if or when they'll be getting the 270."

Just called Handspring and I am out of luck. Only certain regions of the country can get the TREO for the subsidized price. They said there was nothing they could do. Looks like Handspring just lost a customer.