Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Geez... as a strong supporter of Handspring, and early adopter of the Treo... I got to fork out $500 for my Treo 180g (purportedly cheaper than the 270). Now, rumor has it that the 270, with color, lighted keyboard, and longer battery life, will be available shortly for the SAME $500 cost. I certainly hope that Handspring will offer a discount upgrade path for those that supported the Treo from day one.
    Unfortuently we have heard no information that such a program will be offered at launch time.
    Well, at least 180s are selling for $200-$600 on eBay.
    Jeff
    I'm bummed that the color version is cheaper. I was, and am, happy with my Treo 180, and thought that anyone who would pay $200 more just for color was crazy. Finally, I wasn't envying another pda, and was perfectly happy with mine. But now, the $100 price difference just makes me unsettled. Dang! should I have waited? Naw, or course not. Well maybe....
    Yeah I was more comfortable when there was a 7-month wait and a $200 difference. Now it's pretty much been 4-month and $100. Argh. You think HS will offer us a trade-up program? I wish!
    This just had to happen, given that I just signed my service contract yesterday and hope that I can fetch my Treo 180 during the next few days...

Well, in 24 months time, when the next phone is due, I hope to get the Treo with hires in color, Bluetooth and 802.11b...

By the way, since I'm new to this Board, I want to say a friendly hello to all of you!
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm disappointed as well. I was comfortable with the 180 because:

- the 270 was so much more expensive
    - the color screen meant less battery life

now I find out both points are moot. I really hope handspring offers a trade-up program. but deep down we all know they won't. :P

- Matt
    Welcome to the boards my German friend

Anyway you dice it, early adopters always get screwed. Thank goodness for Ebay. I never buy stuff with contract so dont have to worry about that.

Originally posted by PuDerBaer
    This just had to happen, given that I just signed my service contract yesterday and hope that I can fetch my Treo 180 during the next few days...

Well, in 24 months time, when the next phone is due, I hope to get the Treo with hires in color, Bluetooth and 802.11b...

By the way, since I'm new to this Board, I want to say a friendly hello to all of you!
    Should anyone be surprised about the cost of being first on your block for something new in the technology field? Welcome to reality - it's never been otherwise.

However, that said . . . I think we're seeing one of the reasons the Treo 180 sales have been so slow - it was overpriced - even for the bleeding edge. Sounds like Handspring plans to be more aggressive with the 270. They better - their mere existence depends on it.

Kupe
    I feel your pain but I am rather glad this is happening sooner rather than later. I switched from the Prism with VisorPhone to the Treo and all I miss is the color and the self-illuminated screen. But I miss them a lot.

Handspring discounted the Treo because I had the Prism with VisorPhone and I am betting there will be some discount if you upgrade to a 270. Even if not, I'm getting one as soon as I can.

I am rather surprised at the difference the color makes.

Originally posted by sleepysurf
    Now, rumor has it that the 270, with color, lighted keyboard, and longer battery life, will be available shortly for the SAME $500 cost. I certainly hope that Handspring will offer a discount upgrade path for those that supported the Treo from day one.
    Being an early adopter sucks. I almost became one, and stewed on the dilemma of switching providers to get the 180. I decided to (painfully) resist temptation and wait for the CDMA 270, which looks like a longer wait still.

If Handspring could have charged $599 for the 270, they would have. I think Sony threw a monkey wrench into Handspring's plans with the NR70, which is going for $499. While I've never been a "Sony rulez!" zealot, I just played with one this afternoon at CompUSA, and everyone within 10 feet of it was salivating. It really is "all that." I even like its keyboard more than the Treo's, which I didn't expect based on the pictures. This is going to blow every PDA in its price range out of the water. Fortunately for Handspring I won't consider another handheld without telephony. I'm still getting a Treo. But for Compaq, Handera and other standalone handheld manufacturers -- forget it. Game over.

Handspring's exodus from "traditional organizers" is starting to make a whole lot of sense. But it's not surprising that the 180's sales are so thin, given its high price tag (CompUSA had the Treo for $549) and and the low share of cell phone traffic GSM accounts for (10%). Once the 270 drops to ~$300 and is available in CDMA through Sprint and Verizon, sales should be robust enough to bring Handspring back from the dead.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    Being an early adopter sucks. . . . I decided to (painfully) resist temptation and wait for the CDMA 270, which looks like a longer wait still.
    You were wise to wait. I ordered a Visorphone a few weeks back, and after waiting 6 days finally got someone at Handspring to admit they were backordered. So I ordered a Sprint CDMA variant instead - received it the next day. The Visorphone order still eventually came through 12 days after ordering (Handspring actually can't cancel an order once they take it - can you believe that?) and my daughter accidentally signed for it. No problem as I have a 30-day take-it-back clause. I signed onto both services to check them out, and found out the following:

1. Sprint PCS coverage nationwide seems better than Voicestream's. After traveling to or through 11 states with these phones, the SprintPCS coverage was the winner hands down.

2. Web access with Sprint is better. Logon is 8-12 seconds, download speeds seem faster (they seem much faster, but I don't run software that actually tracks bit rate). Voicestream's logon averaged about 25 seconds. With iStream (>$20.00) access to Voicestream is supposed to be continuous (as in constant - no dial up)

3. The Airprime SB3000 is much sturdier feeling (for example when comparing antennas) - the two units weigh about the same and controls are similar.

That said - a short additional wait for the Sprint solution will probably be worth it. The added 3G services this summer will really be a nice addition.

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe

1. Sprint PCS coverage nationwide seems better than Voicestream's. After traveling to or through 11 states with these phones, the SprintPCS coverage was the winner hands down.

2. Web access with Sprint is better. Logon is 8-12 seconds, download speeds seem faster (they seem much faster, but I don't run software that actually tracks bit rate). Voicestream's logon averaged about 25 seconds. With iStream (>$20.00) access to Voicestream is supposed to be continuous (as in constant - no dial up)

Kupe
    Hum, that's really interesting and I wonder whether that experience is shared by others here, since it is certainly not mine. In fact, I dispared of Sprint, switched to Voicestream and never looked back.

Theonly place I ever had any trouble with it was in the Cincinnati airport which, I admit, was a pain since it was the last stop home from Hong Kong and I needed to be sure my ride was going to meet the (late) plane.
    Originally posted by lonnie
    Theonly place I ever had any trouble with it was in the Cincinnati airport . . .
    I can't pickup VS in Arlington, VA, in my neighborhood, 300 feet from an Interstate, almost in the geographical center of their Washington, DC coverage area.

It appeared to not be available in Charlotte, SC Airport - I never got a signal even roaming.

No coverage in a large portion of Virginia.

No coverage in any of Nebraska - I travel to Omaha regularly.

Voicestream's national coverage is pretty sparse as seen in the map at http://www.voicestream.com/products/...s/dc_balt.asp# . Like most digital only networks (like Sprint too), west of the Mississippi you pretty much have to be in a big city. East of the Mississippi it's more filled in like many other plans - with some inexplicably large gaps (like Virginia and Ohio).

Voicestream DOES have international roaming which Sprint does not, but for 2-4 trips per year I can live without it.
    FWIW, I was an early adopter of Sprint in the SF Bay Area, and was continually unhappy (bad coverage/dropped calls). I just don't do enough travelling to enjoy the unlimited free long distance (now pretty much universally available on all carriers), and roaming just doesn't fly on a CDMA only phone. Fortunately, I had an old Cell 1/AT&T tri-mode dual band TDMA phone (Nokia 8260) which was great. I finally dumped the Sprint service a month or 2 ago, and got a Treo 180 on Cingular (GSM). If you personally like Sprint and think the coverage and service will work for you, then go for it. I will mostly use Cingular/GSM in the SF Bay Area and will accept the benefits of GPRS when it arrives. I can at least roam with the phone to other GSM areas (which should soon grow once AT&T converts to GSM), and can also roam to other parts of the world since the Treo 180 is dual band.
    Just one person's opinion.
    I had big problems using my VS Treo in my area 15 miles west of Boston. I ended up cancelling my VS service and sending my Treo back after a few unresolved problems with VS. I'm waiting to try my luck with Sprint. I don't know how sprint is here. Verizon rules for cdma coverage here.
    I'm really missing my treo
    After purchasing the Treo 180 with the assumption that the 270 was going to be $200 more than the 180... instead of it being now only $100... I will not be inclined to buy the updated 270 with mayble os 5 later... instead will likely choose the new Kyocera phone with os 5...

Sorry... just venting... :-)

g
    $200 price reduction for VisorPhone owners... nothing for Treo 180 owners.
    Originally posted by marcus
    $200 price reduction for VisorPhone owners... nothing for Treo 180 owners.
    Not that this applies to me, but if someone used the VP to upgrade to the 180, are they prevented from using it for the 270?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    Not that this applies to me, but if someone used the VP to upgrade to the 180, are they prevented from using it for the 270?
    The announcement on VC seems to suggest that we can do that. The HS page here isn't clear on the point.
    Jeff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast