Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OK this is ridiculous. Color, upgraded browser, backlit keyboard, SAME thickness, only $100.00 more. I am going to call HS up this week and ask if they'll let me upgrade for the difference. Or else I'll be VERY angry.
    Absolutely!

I placed an order last wednesday for a Treo180 (830 EUR) and
    the new color one with enhanced battery life and backlit on keyboard cost 890 EUR!!!.

It seems that they havent processed / shipped my order, may be
    I will be able to cancel or upgrade it.
    Originally posted by margnoz
    Absolutely!

I placed an order last wednesday for a Treo180 (830 EUR) and
    the new color one with enhanced battery life and backlit on keyboard cost 890 EUR!!!.

It seems that they havent processed / shipped my order, may be
    I will be able to cancel or upgrade it.

Hey Everyone,

HS will allow you to return your 180 within 30 days of purchase with no questions asked as a "Buyers Remorse" return. If you bought before then, well, you are out of luck. Looks like they pre-announced the 270 (price discrepancy or not) so people would know to wait rather than be unhappy with their 180s. Of course that seems to have not worked with you guys! The continued price everyone pays for being an early adopter!! Ahhhh... If only I could have returned that Apple Newton.
  4.    #24  
    My Treo 180g is my 5th Palm OS device. In the "olden days" of Palm they offered a "trade-in" plan to upgrade to the newest model for a reasonable cost. Handspring COULD have offered an upgrade path to the 270 for $100-$150 (covering +/- their manufacturing costs). Afterall, the early adopters like us are the one's that bet on the company, and were constantly demo-ing it to others. Too bad they've chosen to ignore us.

Now, after playing with the latest Sony Clie, I'm content to wait for Sony to release a Palm OS Phone (inevitable), likely with hi-rez screen with virtual graffiti area, ? camera, ? other features. In this accelerating convergence of PDA/Phone wars, I see Sony as the one with more momentum.
    I used the VPhone I used to upgrade to my Treo 180 to upgrade to Treo 270 without any problems.

Originally posted by Felipe

Not that this applies to me, but if someone used the VP to upgrade to the 180, are they prevented from using it for the 270?
    No one can stop you from being angry, but will ti be justified? I do not recall Handspring doing any Tradeups from Deluxes to Prisms. At least not initially.

Originally posted by jwardell
    OK this is ridiculous. Color, upgraded browser, backlit keyboard, SAME thickness, only $100.00 more. I am going to call HS up this week and ask if they'll let me upgrade for the difference. Or else I'll be VERY angry.
    If you sell your Treo on Ebay and put an extra $100 - $150 on it, you can get yourself a Treo 270. Sony release a new unit like every 2 months and I have never seen them offer an upgrade path EVEN though the older units are discontinued just as fast as they are released.

Originally posted by sleepysurf
    My Treo 180g is my 5th Palm OS device. In the "olden days" of Palm they offered a "trade-in" plan to upgrade to the newest model for a reasonable cost. Handspring COULD have offered an upgrade path to the 270 for $100-$150 (covering +/- their manufacturing costs). Afterall, the early adopters like us are the one's that bet on the company, and were constantly demo-ing it to others. Too bad they've chosen to ignore us.

Now, after playing with the latest Sony Clie, I'm content to wait for Sony to release a Palm OS Phone (inevitable), likely with hi-rez screen with virtual graffiti area, ? camera, ? other features. In this accelerating convergence of PDA/Phone wars, I see Sony as the one with more momentum.
    Handspring is famous for screwing the early adoptors. Ask anyone who pre-ordered a Visor. I was one of the first 1000 people to order mine, yet a friend of mine, who ordered heres 3 months later got hers before I did. I waited almost 4 months after release to get mine <sigh>

I am *thinking* about getting a 270 when they come out for Sprint, but Sony looks more and more apealing ever day.
    How do we get HS's attention on this? Many of us early adopters are also shareholders - hence we get screwed twice. Once by no upgrade and secondly by lousy stock performance.
    I seriously am willing to join an effort to get HS to fess up and do right by us poor boobs. Capitalism counts on us to support fledgling enterprizes - but not to get screwed over once they get going. Poor show!
    CP
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    The only thing I'm angry about is the price difference. I bought a 180 being happy about how much cheaper it was than the 270. Then a week before the official release they drop the price, nullifying my original reasoning (as well as a lot of people who bought the 180 for the same reason). For that reason alone I think a trade-up program is warranted. Otherwise we would all happily eat it and move on.

- Matt
    I don't think all the whining make any sense. You guys bought the Treo because you see value in the unit. The expense of the color one should not have been a factor in your purchase. If you guys really wanted color you should have waited for color like the other folks who did. I bought Treo knowing what I really wanted was the color unit. But you know what? I could not wait to get my hands on the thing. Neither could you. To upgrade to color, I will be selling my old unit and make up the money. Why can't you too? What is the benefit to Handspring if they give you a color at a paltry $100 - $150 upgrade price? There is no benefit whatsoever other than good publicity. Good publicity does not bring in the profits and wont save them for goign bankrupt. Cold hard cash will though.
    Could not agree more. If you wanna live on the bleeding edge you gotta love eBay with your old junk.
    Instead of crying on message boards, I suggest we all email Handspring and ask for an upgrade path.

From my perspective they misrepresented (at least slightly) both the timing and the pricing here, and owe us Treo evangelists alot. I have personally "sold" 5 Treos already!

My suggestion is we all send reasonable emails to Donna Duninsky, Handspring's CEO requesting some support and a reasonable upgrade path ($100-$150 for the upgrade, plus we send in our old unit for them to refurbish and resell). Must apply to people who bought through retail as well as Handspring.com.

What do you think??

Moderator: Email deleted.
    Originally posted by crownprince
    How do we get HS's attention on this? Many of us early adopters are also shareholders - hence we get screwed twice.
    if you're really a shareholder you'd want HS to be as profitable as possible. in order to do that, they've thought it best to lower the price. this should please you. instead, you're *****ing.

if you're not happy with their decision, sell your stock.

mc
    wow. the board censored the b----ing. weird. i thought that word was perfectly acceptable. hell, it's used on prime time tv all the time.
    Originally posted by yardie
    If you sell your Treo on Ebay and put an extra $100 - $150 on it, you can get yourself a Treo 270. Sony release a new unit like every 2 months and I have never seen them offer an upgrade path EVEN though the older units are discontinued just as fast as they are released.

yardie,
    At what rate is treo 180 going in ebay ?
    Originally posted by gr_joseph

yardie,
    At what rate is treo 180 going in ebay ?
    See for yourself. Click here.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    wow. the board censored the b----ing. weird. i thought that word was perfectly acceptable. hell, it's used on prime time tv all the time.
    And VC didn't bleep out 773H (look upside down)!
    Jeff
  19.    #39  
    I emailed Handspring directly (Treo Feedback section of their email support page) requesting an upgrade path. Hopefully they ARE tallying the messages, and will ultimately do the right thing.

Given that Palm announced another earnings shortfall, and both Palm and Hand stock is really getting beaten up... I think they'll recognize that happy customers means favorable PRPRPR... $and$ $ultimately$ $more$ $units$ $sold$.
    Or they can bend to your wishes and lose more money and become bankrupt.

Originally posted by sleepysurf
    I emailed Handspring directly (Treo Feedback section of their email support page) requesting an upgrade path. Hopefully they ARE tallying the messages, and will ultimately do the right thing.

Given that Palm announced another earnings shortfall, and both Palm and Hand stock is really getting beaten up... I think they'll recognize that happy customers means favorable PRPRPR... $and$ $ultimately$ $more$ $units$ $sold$.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast