1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Kyocera 6035 SmartPhone. Basically, it is a digital phone, palm OS based pda combination. My last pda was a Visor Platinum which I used in combination with a stowaway keyboard to take notes with in class. I just purchased a stowaway keyboard for my Smartphone, but there is a feature of the Platinum which I miss, the ability to back up my notes (using
    a backup module) while my class goes on break.

But, in theory at least, this shouldn't be a problem. If I could e-mail myself the notes from the Smartphone wirelessly during break, this would actually be superior to my old method of backup because the notes would then be in two locations.

Only problem is, I'm not sure which program I can use, or how to do it.

I would want to send a WordSmith document if at all possible, since this is the format I use to take notes.

Maybe one of you guys who just got a Visor Treo has a solution.

Any suggestions?
    There has never been a winner who hasn't fallen, there's never been a loser that got back up.

Dave
    When I have some time I'm going to try a solution that's been mentioned on Treomb.com and PIC: Corsoft Aileron. Not only is it supposed to handle Excel, Word, Wordsmith, DTG, QuickOffice and Zip attachments but it's also a unified messaging service, similar to TreoMail. You can schedule it to get email every five minutes or some other interval -- a sort of poor man's push email.

It's $40 a year, which is $10 less than TreoMail. Since that's $40 less for my Treo fund, I'll try it after I migrate from the 6035 to the CDMA Treo 270.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your response Gameboy. I'll admit I'm a little put off paying a fee. But $40 a year isn't too bad.

So far, this looks like my best solution.
    There has never been a winner who hasn't fallen, there's never been a loser that got back up.

Dave
  4.    #4  
    I actually had a problem with the trial version of Corsoft Aileron, but it turned out to be a simple fix.

Putting it briefly, Corsoft Aileron's service let's you upload a document like Wordsmith, they will convert it to a Microsoft word document, and then they will send it to the e-mail of your choice.

Only problem was I couldn't upload a document generated by Wordsmith.

Then it dawned on me that Aileron needed me to uploaded a Wordsmith document specifically. Since Wordsmith generates PalmDocs until you use rich text format it wasn't able to recognize the document format and wouldn't accept it. All I needed to do to use this service was underline one word within the body of the document, which turned it into a Wordsmith document which is something Aileron would recognize and upload.

I e-mailed Corsoft Aileron's product feedback, and I got a response that they were unaware of this limitation, they thanked me and told me that they would forward the information to their developers.

Now that I have this fairly minor bug behind me, I can e-mail friends Wordsmith documents from my Smartphone, and they will receive a Microsoft Word document as an attachment.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this service.

Dave
    I have not seen too many discussions about InBoxToGo from Dataviz.

I have been testing it along side with Basejet.

I have been very impressed how it handles attachments (of course they are DocumentsToGo attachments).
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Originally posted by Bret Snyder
    I have not seen too many discussions about InBoxToGo from Dataviz.

I have been testing it along side with Basejet.

I have been very impressed how it handles attachments (of course they are DocumentsToGo attachments).
    Can InBoxToGo download email directly from one's POP3 account, or does your desktop or company e-mail server need to download the e-mail first before you can retrieve e-mail that has attachments? The info on Dataviz's website seemed to address the latter method and didn't mention the former. Thx. in advance.
    As far as I know, it only works with the desktop component. I am using it to retrieve my Exchange e-mail via Outlook.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    I don't yet use in-box-to-go, but I'm expecting to buy the treo 300 when it comes out, and then I'll have to decide which service I want to use for email:

TreoMail
    Corsoft
    Basejet
    Inboxtogo
    Symmetry Pro
    GoPop
    LoudPC

In any case, the InBoxToGo site says specifically that it can download email directly from a pop3 account in addition to the way that it works with the desktop component and exchange.

I've pasted the relevant area from the faq below:

What are the system requirements?

Palm OS device with an internet connection
    Palm OS 3.5 or higher
    269K free memory on handheld
    HotSync Manager 4.0 or higher
    Documents To Go 4.0 or higher
    Windows 98, 2000, Me, NT, XP
    Microsoft Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 (XP)
    1.5MB of hard disk space on PC
    One of the following mail servers: Exchange, POP3 or IMAP

When redirecting e-mail through Outlook, PC must have an always on internet connection.
    (Dial up connections aren't supported)
    When directly accessing POP3 accounts, PC can be off.
    (May not work with all POP3 e-mail accounts)
    Of course after I state that it dosen't work with POP3 accounts, Dataviz announces three days later that it does.

Dear Bret Snyder,

We hope you are enjoying the Inbox To Go Preview Program and wanted to notify you about the FREE latest update available. This new version adds:

-Support for Outlook Express
    -The ability to delete more than one message at a time
    -The ability to select certain messages and download them (Download Selected)
    -The ability to send all messages in the Outbox without downloading new messages (Send Only)