Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.handspring.com/products/P...0001&cat=60004

It's the same one pictured in the FCC documents uncovered last week.
    Just received it. I personally like this one the best of the four (!) I've bought for my Treo so far. I can see where some people are going to have problems with it-- in particular the fact that you can't open the lid or access any of the hardware buttons except up and down when the Treo is in the case. You also can't put it in the cradle, although you do have access if you use just the cable that comes with the Treo.

However, to me a case is something that you temporarily put your Treo in when away from your desk, and all I want it to do is hold my Treo in place and release it easily when a call comes in or I need to make one myself. If an alarm goes off, that's not a problem due to the exposed up/down buttons.

So this is just what I was looking for. Until the next one is announced.
    You're saying that you can't open the Treo in the case? I've got the Promax holster and I really like that I can keep it in the holster all the time. Also, if I need to silence an alarm, I can open it up (while still on my belt) and hit ok. Most of my alarms are set to repeat a lot (to annoy me), so just hitting the up/down button would only stop it for a little while.

For me, the Promax holster has turned my Treo into something that goes with me everywhere. Before I got it, I didn't carry it all the time because it wasn't convenient (I have a Motorola StarTac that I still use as my primary cell phone).
    Yep - look at the handspring holster photos carefully. The flip is "blocked" when in the holster.

I personally like this also - like mobile phone holsters, it isn't designed to use the phone when it's in there (unless with the headset...). And prevents premature "flippage" when you bump into things...

By the way, I've achieved the same ubiquitous "have it with me everywhere" lifestyle as sgruby by using an adhesive button and ultraclip. I (and I think veloslave) prefer this arrangement. In fact, I know a lot of folks who do this with other devices (Kyocera, plain old phones, etc.) and once they tried it, they never went back to a "real" case...

Paul
    You're saying that you can't open the Treo in the case?
    Exactly. Sure, it would be nice to be able to open the lid while the Treo is in the case, but I never liked the two holsters I've tried so far. This one fits the bill for me-- although I've carried my Treo with me everywhere from day one, I don't like using it in a case. I just wanted a quick-access holster, and this is perfect for my needs.
    You're saying that you can't open the Treo in the case?
    Exactly. Sure, it would be nice to be able to open the lid while the Treo is in the case, but I didn't like the two holsters I tried previously. This one fits the bill for me. Although I've carried my Treo with me everywhere from day one, I don't like using it in a case. I just wanted a quick-access holster, and this is perfect for my needs.
    Sorry- having some problems editing a post. It decided to created a new entry instead and won't let me delete either of the other ones.
    VERY glad to see this released.

How is it to insert and remove? Quick an easy, one handed? Do you need to push a tab or can you simply pull it out? How does the clip seem? And is the consensus say it's better than the promax? In what ways?

For those compaining about not opening it: Why would you want to open it while it's on your waist anyway? You woudn't be able to even see the screen. That's why it's important that it can be quicky removed.
    I decided to finally register my Treo and use the $10 credit to get the holster. I already had the Promax, but couldn't resist. The HS is definitely easier to insert/remove. I felt with the Promax, I was always pushing on both the Treo and the holster too hard and might damage one or both. The advantage to the Promax is that you can leave the Treo in the holster all the time and just unclip the combo from your belt for use. Now that I have the HS, I realize that this is NOT what a holster is for - it's for quick insertion and removal, period. I think those who use the Promax on all the time may be better off with The Clip. Also the construction of the HS holster is more robust and the finishing touches are definitely cleaner. Just my 2 cents...

BTW - With the HS holster, you do have to press down on a tab to remove the Treo, but it's basically effortless - just like a StarTac holster.
    An interesting note for those undecided between the HS and Promax holsters. The back of the HS holster shows that it was designed by IDEO, the designers of the Treo, the Palm V, the Visor Edge AND The Microsoft Mouse (c. 1987!) - definitely adds some aesthetic appeal.
  11. rsh
    Got mine and I love it. I really have no use to open the lid while it is on my belt. Seems very awkward.

Ron
    (sidenote) IDEO designed the treo?! Frankly I would have expected more from them. I miss my Palm V's sexy aluminum case.
    It Certainly looks good & allows opening of the lid.
    It's costs just a few bucks more - But has anyone tried it yet?

Seidio Home Page

+ If you read the FCC documents, you will see the TREO's where actually tested in that HS Belt Clip - Do you think it actually effects the radiation ?
    Originally posted by halperin
    + If you read the FCC documents, you will see the TREO's where actually tested in that HS Belt Clip - Do you think it actually effects the radiation ?
    According to the Airphone documentation (SprintPCS):

From the FCC in SprintPCS Documentation
    "Body-Worn Operation
    Your Sprint PCS Digital Link was tested for typical bodyworn
    operation with the Handspring™ Plastic Belt Clip and
    the Handspring Leather Belt Clip. To comply with FCC RF
    exposure requirements during body-worn operation, the
    Handspring Plastic Belt Clip or the Handspring Leather Belt
    Clip must be used. The use of other body-worn accessories
    may not comply with FCC RF exposure requirements and
    should be avoided. When using the Digital Link during
    hands-free operation without a body-worn accessory, a
    minimum separation distance of 1 inch (2.5 cm) must be
    maintained between the back of the Digital Link, including
    the antenna, and the body of the user/bystander(s)
    (excluding hands, wrists, feet, and ankles) in order to
    comply with FCC RF exposure requirements.
    For more information about RF exposure, please visit the
    FCC Web site at www.fcc.gov.
    So the testing seems more about distancing from the boday than actually limiting or blocking radiation.

Kupe
    jwardell wrote:
    IDEO designed the treo?! Frankly I would have expected more from them. I miss my Palm V's sexy aluminum case.

Interesting. The Treo is the only Handspring device whose design does it for me. IDEO has been behind every Handspring product, including the rather vanilla VDX.
    Originally posted by sgruby
    You're saying that you can't open the Treo in the case? ...
    For me, the Promax holster has turned my Treo into something that goes with me everywhere.
    This is a belt clip. If you're carrying it and you need to open the Treo, you pop it out of the clip and open it. You don't take the clip off your belt while you're carrying it.

I like the fact that the case protects the flip cover.
    Does the Handspring Holster case hangs or spin around like the CaseTechWorks case? Is the belt clip close to the top of the case or is in the middle like the CaseTech case?
    Originally posted by yardie
    Does the Handspring Holster case hangs or spin around like the CaseTechWorks case? Is the belt clip close to the top of the case or is in the middle like the CaseTech case?
    Neither, really. The holster attaches to the clip with a thin swivel mechanism with "detents" - So once it's on your belt, you twist it to the orientation you like (anywhere from horizontal forward to vertical to horizontal backward) in 45% "clicks" and it stays there. But if it gets bumped hard, etc. it will click to the next detent as it should (to reduce risk of damage). But it does take considerable force to rotate it, easy when you mean do but it's not going to turn on you accidentally.

BTW, the pivot is in the middle of the phone, so gravity has nothing to do with the orientation. Just the detents.

Paul
    If you are not careful (like me) it slips into place with the door parlty open. I have found several stange entires in my calendar with "p" becuase itrubs in when I sert it wrong. Maybe I need to be mroe careful, but it is stating to annoy me.
    Yeah, I've had this happen a time or two in the few days I've been using it. I've taken to inserting the treo while holding it with my thumb on the back and my fingers on the front, spanning the top (if that makes any sense - think of my hand as an upside-down "U" wrapped around the top of the treo). This allows me to insert it easily without looking, and ensures that the flip stays closed.

I learned this by watching a bunch of Startac users removing and inserting their phones in the holster...

Paul
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast