Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I was wondering if this plastic belt clip will scratch up the finish of the Treo? I ask this because I had the Handspring belt clip with the Visor Platinum and my unit got scratched up pretty bad from inserting and removing the unit often.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]

I was wondering if this plastic belt clip will scratch up the finish of the Treo?
    Sure. Any plastic holster will eventually mark up whatever it holds. The trick is to not worry about it.
    I suppose you could reduce the wear by applying car wax regularly.
    OK, I have both now. Here are my observations.

1) The Promax / Seidio (same thing) is definitely harder to insert/withdraw. This is AFTER I had to modify it with a pocket knife to remove some little pieces of plastic left on either side of the sync connector which should have been cut out after molding but didn't get done on mine. I still have to align it JUST RIGHT, push on it JUST SO to insert. Grip it JUST RIGHT and push the tab JUST SO to pull it out. For pete's sake, they include an entire printed page of instructions on how to the get treo in and out. Not a good sign. In contrast, insertion and removal with the Handspring/IDEO holster is effortless as it should be. It needs no instructions.

2) The quality of the Handspring holster is much better. Not only did it need no pocket-knife adaptation to work, but the plastic is about twice as thick, the clip is more solid, the "detents" for the swivel are more solid and reassuring, etc.

3) The antenna gripper on the Seidio is much more likely to break with use. There's nothing about the Handspring clip that looks likely to break. It will be here with the cockroaches after we're all gone.

4) I'm still going to mount the Seidio on my Pro-Fit clip as a car mount. I think it will work well for that. But I wouldn't seriously consider it as a holster after comparing it to the Handspring one side-by-side. Unless for some reason you feel you must constantly open the treo while it's in the holster. But I've talked alot before about what holsters are for, and that ain't it...

Paul
    My only complaint about the HandSpring belt clip is that the Treo fits in backwards.

When I want to see the display, I take it out of the clip, and when I do take it out, I would prefer to have the display facing me. That would also protect the window.
    Yeah, I agree that it's backwards. Motorola had it right with the Startac, but they've reversed it (made it backwards) for the V series also since it has a display on the top half of the flip. I understand the rationale for why these are the way they are - so folks can glance down and see caller ID, etc. without withdrawing it from the holster, and in the case of the Treo so you can hit the "ignore" button if appropriate.

I guarantee if it were reversed, you'd have a number of folks saying "it's backwards", citing the points above...

Oh well, you can't please everybody...

Paul
    Awesome review Paul Penny, thats the sort of review that I want to see.

Thanks,

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Any chance on these showing up in stores, so I can save at least a little bit on shipping?
    paul you are right on with your review of seidio holster and the handspring holster have my seidio holster only two weeks and the piece of plastic holding the attena snapped off. i received the handspring holster today and the plastic is alot stronger. looks like it will last a long time. will now use the seidio in my car as a car mount should be ok there.
    Hi Guys.

Is there a way to modify HS Holster for being able to open the lid ?

Is there a way to modify HS Holster for being able to open the lid ?
    No. The Treo is held in place by the lid.

Since the clip provides almost no protection to the Treo (except holding the lid tightly closed), there is little reason to keep the Treo in the clip unless it's on your belt.

I wouldn't dare wear a Treo in a clip that allowed the lid to open. I scrape against walls more often than I should admit, and if the lid could open, it probably would, and would be torn loose.
    there is little reason to keep the Treo in the clip unless it's on your belt.
    I disagree with that - I for once would love to take off the TREO with the holster, and place it in the car - as it will not be comfortable to wear the Holster in the Car, while only extracting the Treo.
    In that case it can serve a double purpose, as a Car holder too.

Now - in the Car I would have to be able to open the Lid.

Since you say there is no option to modify it, then the only option is to use Promax / Seidio which reviewes say is not as good.

p.s. - I have intrested Seidio in creating a Car mount adapter that will hold their holster in the car, and hopefully will have connectors for easy power connection and maybe even adaptation to common types of cell phone Car Hands-Free Sets.

Waiting to see it come trough - although in the mean time, I will probably modify the Treo connector to link Headset & Antenna signals in free pins.

Now - in the Car I would have to be able to open the Lid.
    Not at all. The headset plugs in while the Treo is in the clip. You can answer and hang up with the button on the headset.
    You certainly wouldn't be making outgoing calls while driving, would you?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12