Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Originally posted by yardie
    The Treo should not be turning itself off when you are out of a coverage area. It should automatically come back on when you are coverage. This is a defect. Get the unit replaced if it is a problem for you.
    Nope. I talked to Handspring tech support and if it is out of coverage for too long, the radio will turn off to conserve battery.
    sgruby,

First of all let me thank you for your wonderful utility.

This is in reference to the request for adding a feature which would enable the sim password to be entered automatically upon restarting of the phone. I personally think that it would be a very helpful feature. I understand the reasons given by several of you as to why this feature does not make sense, but I think it does make sense. It may not make sense for people who use the timed shut down and start up feature, but it makes a lot fo sense for people like myself, who never turn their cellphones off. Since I never turn my cellphone off, the fear of my phone being started witout the password in case of theft or loss does not arise. But it certainly is very irritating to have to enter my password each time the phone is reset. Therefore in my case and for many others like myself this would be a great feature to be able to have the password entered automatically when the phone restarts upon a reset.

I hope I have been able to clearly explain the benefit of this feature and therefore you will consider adding it to your very nice utility.

Thanks
    Again (I'm not speaking for sgruby, i'm just offering my own opinion), the question remains: If you leave your cellphone turned on all the time and not locked, then why is your PIN lock even enabled to begin with?

The PIN lock is useful PRECISELY because, if the phone is ever turned off, it cannot under any circumstances be turned BACK ON without providing the PIN. If you use TreoTools to enter the pin automatically when it is restarting the phone after a reset, then you have effectively circumvented the only reason the PIN is there in the first place, which is to prevent the phone from turning on after it is turned off without YOU BEING THERE to enter the pin yourself. If this feature was implemented, anyone who stole or found your treo would only have to try resetting the treo to get the phone turned back on. Sure, they wouldn't be able to turn your treo's phone radio off and then back on WITHOUT a reset, but resetting it would do the trick just fine.

Originally posted by Sanjay

I hope I have been able to clearly explain the benefit of this feature and therefore you will consider adding it to your very nice utility.
  4.    #44  
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    Again (I'm not speaking for sgruby, i'm just offering my own opinion), the question remains: If you leave your cellphone turned on all the time and not locked, then why is your PIN lock even enabled to begin with?
    Thanks for putting this so elegantly; I have not be able to put these ideas down in a way that makes sense. You and others, have done this.

Bottom line, Treo Tools will never automatically enter the PIN. If people really, really want this feature, then someone else can write this utility. I'll be adding features to Treo Tools as I get time, but this won't be one of them. Sorry.
    sgruby,
    I just started using TT yesterday. Thanks.

Here's a feature I'd like to see: 2 checkboxes. One says something like "Play sound when turn on" and the other would say "Play sound when turned off".

Maybe you could even give a choice of alarm sounds to play.
    Jeff
  6.    #46  
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    sgruby,
    I just started using TT yesterday. Thanks.

Here's a feature I'd like to see: 2 checkboxes. One says something like "Play sound when turn on" and the other would say "Play sound when turned off".

Maybe you could even give a choice of alarm sounds to play.
    You mean you don't like the sound the Treo normally plays when it turns on/off?
    Originally posted by sgruby

You mean you don't like the sound the Treo normally plays when it turns on/off?
    I haven't ever been near my Treo when TreoTools turned it on/off before. I didn't think about the default sounds happening when TreoTools turned it on/off. Oh well.
    Jeff
    I would like to second the recommendation for multiple on/off times.

Other than that... seem's like a great peice of software.
    I was talking on my Treo the other day, and my Treo Tool's time kicked in and it cut my call!

One suggestion: Do a quick check to see if a call is in progress before you cut the phone off.
    -- Go Illini!
  10.    #50  
    Originally posted by chrisfoster
    I was talking on my Treo the other day, and my Treo Tool's time kicked in and it cut my call!

One suggestion: Do a quick check to see if a call is in progress before you cut the phone off.
    Sounds reasonable; I'll see what I can do.

I like IDial but it uses the same commands as my most used hack -- Switcheroo.
    Actually, it doesn't. To activate switcheroo, both the option button and the space button must be SIMULTANEOUSLY pressed. With iDial that is not the case.
    Cool Zeezo!

Thanks for the tip. now I can have my cake and eat it too

Originally posted by ZeeZo

Actually, it doesn't. To activate switcheroo, both the option button and the space button must be SIMULTANEOUSLY pressed. With iDial that is not the case.
    I miss not having SMS receipts...all my past Nokias, Ericsson, Sony, & Samsung phones have this option as standard.

A proper call divert menu would be nice too instead of having to put in *#blah blah meaningless code#**# !! (Again, all "normal" phones have this as standard)
    Scott,

Yesterday my phone was off all morning and I didn't realize it until lunch time. So I decided to install TreoTools to make sure my phone is actually turned on in the morning. So far so good.

However I don't really need the "turn off" feature since I need to leave my phone on all night (its always connected to the charger at night) in case I get an emergency page (SMS). It would be nice if you included the option to disable the off time. For now I'm setting the off time to 7:59am and the on time to 8:00am.

You might even want to add the disable option to the on time as well for those who may want to always turn off the phone if they forget but not automatically turn it on.

Looking at the UI, you could just change the "Enable On/Off Times" to be "Enable On TIme" and add option option "Enable Off Time".

Thanks for the great tool!
  15.    #55  
    Originally posted by SoCalVisor
    Scott,

Yesterday my phone was off all morning and I didn't realize it until lunch time. So I decided to install TreoTools to make sure my phone is actually turned on in the morning. So far so good.

However I don't really need the "turn off" feature since I need to leave my phone on all night (its always connected to the charger at night) in case I get an emergency page (SMS). It would be nice if you included the option to disable the off time. For now I'm setting the off time to 7:59am and the on time to 8:00am.

You might even want to add the disable option to the on time as well for those who may want to always turn off the phone if they forget but not automatically turn it on.

Looking at the UI, you could just change the "Enable On/Off Times" to be "Enable On TIme" and add option option "Enable Off Time".

Thanks for the great tool!
    If you leave the phone on all the time, why bother using the "Enable on/off times"?

The turning off (alone) is a good idea for those that forget to turn it off.
    If you leave the phone on all the time, why bother using the "Enable on/off times"?
    My phone was accidently turned off at night and I didn't notice until noon. TreoTools could be used to turn it back on in the morning if it is off.

I like IDial but it uses the same commands as my most used hack -- Switcheroo. Emailed the author about giving us some more commands and he hasn't responded after several weeks.
    Hey Yard,

I thought the same thing until Paul Penny set me straight. With Switcheroo you "press and hold option key until pressing the space key followed by the activation letter."

With Idial you "press and RELEASE the option key AND THEN push the space key."

It is so sweet! Both work!

Cheers

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Hi,

sorry that I drop in on this thread so late and I'm even more sorry to warm up this discussion. Still I want to explain why an automatical Pin code enter option would work for me: my SIM card has a PIN code which I can't switch off. With my old Nokia it was okay since I left it on all the time.

Now with the Treo I use TreoTools to turn the phone off and then back on but I'm not able to receive any calls until I enter my PIN code. That of course means that I have to enter the code early enough before the first calls come in.

I can understand that this feature will not be implemented into TreoTool. That's fine with me. But I just wanted to let you all know that such an option does make sense under certain circumstances.

By the way, I use MacroPlay to automaticlly enter my PIN code now. After that the Treo get's locked by the same program. Although I still have to enter a password to start the PDA or phone I may receive phone calls since it is possible even if the Treo is locked.

If anyone wants to write a program that starts the phone and enters the PIN code could link this feature to an automatic lock right after entering the PIN code. How about it?

my two euro cent on a long discussion

anderas
  19.    #59  
    TreoTools will NOT enter the PIN automatically. This is a very simple issue:

1) You use a PIN to lock your phone for security; you must enter a PIN to unlock it
    2) If TreoTools automatically unlocks the phone, why bother locking it? Someone could soft reset your Treo, then TreoTools would unlock the phone.

This has been explained over and over again.

If someone wants to write a program to do this, please be my guest. However, TreoTools will never do this.
    TreoTools will NOT enter the PIN automatically.
    as I said that's fine with me.

1) You use a PIN to lock your phone for security; you must enter a PIN to unlock it
    2) If TreoTools automatically unlocks the phone, why bother locking it? Someone could soft reset your Treo, then TreoTools would unlock the phone.
    I understood all of this. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough: everytime I turn on the phone I have to enter a PIN code. It's something that my provider wants me to do. For me there is no way around it. I even asked my provider if they could remove the PIN from the SIM card and they won't do it. So for me the PIN code is not a security feature, it's a hassle. Even more so since I usually don't turn the phone off. So if it get's stolen anybody can make phone calls on my expense.

Now for the battery's sake I turn the phone off using TreoTools. When it's turned back on it waits for me to enter the PIN code (remember: hassle, not security) and doesn't book itself into the network until it get's this PIN code. That of course means that I won't receive any calls until I do enter the code. If I forget to do so it means I won't be available.

That's why I use MacroPlay to enter the code automatically. That way I may save battery time and stilll be woken up by an incoming call since it books back into the network after being turned on.

Of course, after a reset I'm still stuck with the PIN code but that's ok since I'm usually around when that happens.

Hopefully you didn't get me wrong. I didn't want you to include this feature. I just wanted to point out that it may make sense for a few people out there. But since the combination of TreoTools and MacroPlay works like a charm for me, who am I to complain.

Again, sorry for opening this old discussion back up again. ;)

anderas
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast