1.    #1  
    So I've only recently discovered Instant Messenging... I know it's kind of late in the game. I'm getting a new job and I realize that I'll be so busy that if I could have instant messaging ON me, that would be a great way to say hello to family when I catch my breath. I've heard that Treo Mail doesn't really work in real time as the Blackberry almost does.

Right now I'm using AOL Instant Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger. (No one uses Yahoo! Messenger, but I'm hoping to try its video-camera option soon... has anyone tried this? Does it work?)

Are either of those available on the Treo? Or how about SMS.. does SMS turn out to be like instant messaging? And how would my friends contact me from their computer if SMS works that way?

Any info would help me decide if the Treo is the way to go... or should I stick to Visor + Samsung 8500 cell phone + Blackberry-ish device?

<alicelinden@email.com>
    Alice Linden
    alicelinden@email.com
    keep in mind that while some IM apps might be free, the service itself will not be, at least not like it is on your desktop computer.

SMS is essentially instant messaging, except that it's most efficient between other SMS capable phones. You can use SMS to and from e-mail, and even use SMS as an AIM client. It's fast enough to serve as a couple messages back and forth, but not really great for actual conversations like AIM/ICQ et al are meant to be. Then there's the cost of the SMS messages. Most cell plans come with a certain number of free SMS messages (to and from, I believe, each count) with more messages coming with higher priced plans.

There are IM programs that can be used when you have a 'net connection with your device. I've actually used the AIM client for Palm with my Treo and chatted to a couple people at once. It was fast and easy, just like on your computer. The problem with this is that you're having to be on-line to do it. That means you're easting up your plan minutes with a constant data connection. When GPRS comes out, you'll be eating up your data allotment instead of time, but you'll still be paying for something. I have no idea how much data each message on AIM will eat, but for the occasional message or two I'm sure it's not a big deal.

Is this better or worse than the combination you mentioned? Personally, I'd much rather use the Treo to do those things than to carry around 3 or more separate devices to do it. It's not as if a Blackberry and service are free anyway. ;-)

As long as you're ok with paying for the messaging in either plan minutes (while connected via dialup ISP), SMS messages, or data download (when GPRS comes out), then there's nothing at all wrong with IM-ing on a Treo.

I will rag a little bit on the ICQ client for PalmOS, though. It's WAY slow... at least it was for me when I tried it briefly.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    I've used the Yahoo Messenger client on my treo - it works!

However - I ditto the caveats Greg makes above - you have to be online, it ain't free, etc...

Paul
    Should work much better when GPRS becomes available. Anybody has PalmOS IM GPRS experience to share ( using Visor+GPRS enabled phone or simular ) ?

thanks
    regards
    Bo.
    If your really into AIM, then a AOL Mobile Communicator is the best choice. It has a always on connection, a bigger keyboard then the Treo, and allows you to set Away messages, something AIM for Palm OS and AIM over SMS don't allow you to do.
    -- Go Illini!
    In my opinion, Trillian would be the best IM program if they had a palm version. I've used AIM before and the Ruksun (?) MSN one before but would really like an all-in-one program.
    Trillian for Palm would totally rock.
    I use it on my PC, and it's so nice to have one program for it all, even IRC if I want to (though I prefer mIRC for the desktop, IRC via Trillian on a Palm would be fine with me!). I wonder if anyone has suggested to the people working on Trillian to look into a PDA version (preferably a Palm version ;-)?
    Let's all go make that request!
    I checked the Trillian discussion boards, looked at the list of requested features, and a Port to PalmOS is already requested. Here's a link to the thread where it was requested and replied to:

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/forum...?threadid=8254
    Originally posted by zieak
    In my opinion, Trillian would be the best IM program if they had a palm version. I've used AIM before and the Ruksun (?) MSN one before but would really like an all-in-one program.
    I never could get the Ruksun one to connect. I have a hotmail address and passport. Did not get past the password screen. Anybody have luck with that? I would love to use it because my clients use MSN messenger between locations. Besides the communication aspect, it gives me a clue on which location may have network problems.

Jim
    Originally posted by alicelinden
    Right now I'm using AOL Instant Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger. (No one uses Yahoo! Messenger, but I'm hoping to try its video-camera option soon... has anyone tried this? Does it work?)

Are either of those available on the Treo? Or how about SMS.. does SMS turn out to be like instant messaging? And how would my friends contact me from their computer if SMS works that way?
    QuickChat is a pretty good AOL/IM program for the Treo. It uses SMS so it doesn't require you to be online all the time, but using SMS you can log in and log out from IM so your buddy's will see you as if you were online all day (whenever you want).

Your friends can also send you e-mails to an address which you will get as SMS. It depends on your provider, but if you e-mail someone they will see the return address. This is a great way to not have to always be checking your e-mail. Tell your friends to cc your normal email address so that you can retrieve the full message if they send you something large that gets cut off.
    I never could get the Ruksun one to connect. I have a hotmail address and passport. Did not get past the password screen. Anybody have luck with that?
    I didn't use it too much but did have mixed results. I found it to be more stable than the AOL IM for Palm but since the software is $12 and I'd only use it a few weeks a year I can't quite justify the purchase. I distinctly remember it working for me though - at least once or twice.
    ICQ works great, they have made it SMS compatible, my network(Rogers AT&T) partnered up with them directly, I don't have to be online but still be online using SMS only...

It gives you special numbers for Contact and logging in... but it's all SMS and works very smooth... I wonder if the other networks have gotten this going...