1.    #1  
    Wondering what's the best or most popular security software for the PalmOS?

I wouldn't mind paying for a good one, but a nice simple shareware product would be nice too.

Any input?

Thx
    Depends on what you want to secure.

Cryptopad is a nice memo like application, but the development seems to have stopped and I have been unable to find the source for the last version available.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have used SpashID for a while now and absolutely love it.
    It's a little pricey - $20 but it does have a desktop app and it's been totally rock solid on my visor... I have several of SplashData's pograms (I have no affiliation with them at all) - ID, Money, and Photo and all have been very bug free...

Hitman
    To protect my palm I use the free version of GridLock . Not sure how secure it is but it makes me feel safe and I don't have to type in a password to use my VPL.

To protect memo's I recommend CryptoPad.
    ErnstB, there seems to be two versions of CryptoPad around at the moment:
    CryptoPad 3.64 - a full realease version with a desktop app to read those encrypted memos on your pc, and
    CryptoPad 4.09 - a beta version which the developers are appealing to other developers to help out complete the project.
    I second the recommendation for SplashID. It is a very good program with a desktop component. I also uses a couple of SplashData programs and I have been bery happy with the customer support.
    Brian
    Just to check: which type of security program are you looking for?

I've always broken it into two categories:
    • Encryption: App that encodes selected data on your Palm so that a password is need to view it.
    • Access Restriction: Something so keeps people from using your Palm without a password (or similar security measure)

I have specific apps to handle both functions; I'm satisfied (well, mostly) with both.

For encryption, I'm using Secret!. Very solid application, basically a Notepad with encryption. I prefer the "free format" style of a notepad, as opposed to a more ordered "directory" of information, but to each their own. (SplashID looks like a great version of the "directory" encryption program.)

The main reason I bought Secret! was the Windows version of the program -- allowing vieweing and editing of the encrypted information on Windows (again, requiring the password be set.)

As to entry, I use Commander Lite; mostly because of the UI, and it does the job. However, the software stills has some small, annoying bugs to it (the major ones were fixed after some time); maybe I'll switch to Gridlock sometime in the future (it looks pretty good.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    PDASecure by Trust Digital (www.trustdigital.com) is very good and powerful. Test it out.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the replies folks!

Do any of these programs have password restriction for the hoysync process?

For example; if someone were to plug an empty or new handheld into your cradle and attempt to hotsync. Seems this is the biggest security hole I can find right now.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I think SplashID will do what you want. It checks to see (I think) that both the PC and PDA have the app with the SAME password on each otherwise it wont sync...

Hitman
    Originally posted by RDOG1
    Do any of these programs have password restriction for the hoysync process?

For example; if someone were to plug an empty or new handheld into your cradle and attempt to hotsync. Seems this is the biggest security hole I can find right now.
    I suspect SplashID and others are like Secret!: the data on the PDA is always kept in an encrypted state. When the PDA is hotsynced, the encrypted data is backed up to the PC. The password is not stored in the application, preference files, etc..

Thus, to view the data on the PC, on another PDA, or anywhere, you need the password to view it. That's a pretty good way to do it -- you can pass around the data all you want, but it takes the password to crack it.

Whoops! I was answering your question re: encryption programs, like SplashID and Secret! Were you asking if there was some sort of "Access Restriction" for hotsyncing on the PC side -- something on the PC that would check for a password before allowing hotsync to occur?

I haven't heard anything like this, and I can understand why: if data security on the PC side is an issue, the general solution would be to have password protection (logins) on your PC, and file permission protection for your Palm/<hotsync name> directory.

I.e., even if you had a hotsync password on the PC, that wouldn't protect your data from being accessed or copied from the PC. All your PDA data is in the Palm directory, under a directory with your hotsync name. If there's no security for that directory, then it's fairly pointless to have it for hotsyncing.
    Last edited by bookrats; 05/11/2002 at 11:41 AM.
    Jeff Meyer

PDASecure can lock specific apps....any apps on your Visor. Also, it has powerful industrial grade encryption built into it. Your data is useless on another Visor if it is encrypted because someon would need a password to decrypt them.
  12.    #12  
    Well, I've tested the demo of PDASecure and applied the password protection. Then hoysync'd to the PC. After that, I erased the handheld and performed another hotsync. My data was transferred to the handheld and the password protection was NOT. If it was, this would be the perfect product.

Or am I missing something?
    Originally posted by RDOG1
    Well, I've tested the demo of PDASecure and applied the password protection. Then hoysync'd to the PC. After that, I erased the handheld and performed another hotsync. My data was transferred to the handheld and the password protection was NOT. If it was, this would be the perfect product.

Or am I missing something?
    i agree with you. but i dont blame PDASecure. your PC's security is the job of another program.

i'd been using [quite a few versions] TealLock for 6months before adapting to PDASecure (2.04 Pro) 2months ago. i enjoy the way the program lets you individually choose which apps to lock and/or encrypt (128-bit Blowfish), in addition to the usual timed system-lockout function.

my one agony was when i upgraded Noah Lite to Noah Pro earlier this week, PDASecure, by default, went to encrypt the whole newly installed database. that was like a whole....2...4, or 5 minutes
    "I am Mister Yum."
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Hey bookrats, are you still using commander lite? I have commander on my palm m505, and I just got a treo 300. When I tried to install it, it caused all sorts of problems - looked like it locked the phone part and not just the pda.
    Originally posted by procure
    Hey bookrats, are you still using commander lite? I have commander on my palm m505, and I just got a treo 300. When I tried to install it, it caused all sorts of problems - looked like it locked the phone part and not just the pda.
    I'm still using it -- it made the move from my Visor Deluxe to my Clie T615 without a problem. I'm using version 1.46.

However, I'm not massively in love with program. I've thought of switching to GridLock, but am at the point of "If it ain't broke..."
    Jeff Meyer

Argggh! Just tried PDASecure Premium (trial version), and it caused fatal errors/resets everytime I tried to use it after setting the security. Then when I tried to delete the program, caused fatal errors when I went into "delete" mode from the Apps page. Had to do a hard reset! Maybe some interference with Treo software somewhere.
    I had similar problems with PDASecure on my 300. PDA Defense is looking good so far.