Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am impressed with Iambic's high res compatability, and for that alone, I want to try downloading it. Any veterans of both care to comment? It seems DateBk is more widely known, or certainly more talked about, but is it better? Looking at Imabic's flash walkthrough, there are certainly some features that DateBk does not have, that none the less have merit.

Spill it
    I prefer AN have used it for several years. It suits my needs more contact history vs detailed appointments.

However there is a mighty big controversy brewing over on PalmInfoCenter regarding allegations that iambic has recently registered Datebk4.com and Datebk5.com. then redirecting them to iambic site.

Nothing from iambic yet.
    First, I should let you know that this is one of the thorniest questions in the world of Palm OS software: Action Names vs. Datebk 3/4/5. With that warning out of the way, now on to MHO.

I use Datebk5 and have used betas of it since early November. It is a great program. The level of customization is unparalled in Palm OS software. This may be it's biggest problem. There are so many things to customize that it may well be confusing to a new user. However, there is a 100 page manual available that is as easy to understand as it is comprehensive. In addition, the help available with Datebk5 is very good. Datebk5 is one of those few Palm programs where it is almost necessary to read the manual and/or help files to use some of the features available. Don't let this worry you though. Most of the features you will ever use are easy to get to and is quite intuitive.

You didn't say what type of device you use but since you say you want hi-res compatibility, can I assume you have a Clie or a Handera? If so, Datebk5 has hi-res support for all views. Right now there is no NR70(V) support but the developer is so responsive that I would not be surprised that if given enough requests, he will add that support.

To be honest, try both programs and see what you like. There are many features that they have in common so you really need to try them both to find which you like best. But to sum it up, in addition to what I said above, Datebk5 puts the emphasis on appointment and ToDos and how they link together and with contacts. ActionNames puts its emphasis on contacts and how it links to appointments and todos. Maybe that doesn't make much sense but that's the best way I can explain it.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
  4. jke
    I am also a datebk5 user and would agree with the above comments on how complex it can be to get started. I have used AN as well and found very good but, there is an interesting thread to chack out over at palminfocenter.com. It appears AN has hijacked Datebk5's name and rediricted people to it web site. For that reason alone I would not use or purchase a product from a company that would resort to such tatics.
    The developer of Datebk gives great customer service and is very responsive.
  5.    #5  
    DateBk has hi res support for all views? I only found the option on the week view, and even there, it did not work properly. It used the hi res font, but there were no spaces between any letters.

What I like about each...

DateBk5
    -I can keep my wife's schedule, and mark all her entries with a light grey background, to distinguish it, quote handy really.
    -Linking to contacts and memos (I know Iambic can link to contacts, but I like the way DateBk does it better)
    -floating repeating appointments
    -Worthy cause for purchase (which scores definite points)
    -hasn't robbed anyone's domain name

Imabic (or whatever the actual program is called)
    -Smooth as silk hi res support
    -A more useful splitscreen on the full day view, I can't stand the split screen in DateBk, though maybe it would improve with a hi-res screen where it would not be as crowded.
    -A mini day report on the quarterly view
    -A gorgeous contact management view, that thing is suprisingly powerful
    -less cluttered with options that I don't particularly need in the first place.

My needs are low key, it is a personal calendar, viewed by just me, managed by me, and not doing anything horribly fancy. I just don't know. Right now, my DateBk5 install messed up my day view, and my 4 month view, so right now it is all mucked up. Once I get that cleared (if) I will have a better comparison option.
    It appears AN has hijacked Datebk5's name and rediricted people to it web site. For that reason alone I would not use or purchase a product from a company that would resort to such tatics.
    I hope you don't use any Microsoft products.

I have tried both. I like AN Datebook. (That is where the names
    are similar people!) It doesn't take up as much room and suits my
    contact needs. Basically, try both and see which one you like.
    There's also the issue that DB5 is run by one guy who is incredibly responsive to user questions and needs, from silly newbie questions to complex and nasty expert questions. All proceeds also go do charity

ActionNames is run by a bunch of folks who take a while to respond to questions and whose proceeds go to busniess practices like registering domain names that would normally be associated with their man competetitor, datebk5.

...oh, and after all that DB5 is a superior product, especially now with the improved preferences format!
    Originally posted by Mike Schilder
    DateBk has hi res support for all views? I only found the option on the week view, and even there, it did not work properly. It used the hi res font, but there were no spaces between any letters.
    DateBk5 V-5.0a looks great in hires in all views on my CLIE n760c.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by septimus
    There's also the issue that DB5 is run by one guy who is incredibly responsive to user questions and needs, from silly newbie questions to complex and nasty expert questions. All proceeds also go do charity

ActionNames is run by a bunch of folks who take a while to respond to questions and whose proceeds go to busniess practices like registering domain names that would normally be associated with their man competetitor, datebk5.

...oh, and after all that DB5 is a superior product, especially now with the improved preferences format!
    AMEN!!

For my purposes, I liked that Datebk 4/5 focused on the calendaring and linking to that as opposed to (as volcanopele put it above) focusing on the contacts linking to the calendar.

For iambic to register "someone elses" product name seems to demonstrate a lack of faith in their own product.
    Mike,

Regarding your display problems on a Clie: I think much of this was addressed when you originally posted this question in a All Handhelds thread.

You might want to re-read what's written there.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  11.    #11  
    I have read that, and tried some of your suggestions, but it did not seem to help. I have not tried installing a new font, and maybe that's what I need to do, but it would surprise me that it is required.

I have also tried looking into the Yahoo group, but it is absurdly busy. I am getting 3 digests a day at times. I like posting here because of the e-mail notifications if someone posts on my thread.

I have not given up hope though, I want to like DateBk over Iambic. Once I wipe DateBk5 and re-install it, hopefully clearing up the weird display bugs I am getting, I will try and get those hi res fonts working. If it can give me that the way I am hoping to see it, I will probably be happy to.
    Can action names and datebk5 be installed on the palm for determining which one is liked better, or do you need to remove one?
    Julie
    I have read that, and tried some of your suggestions, but it did not seem to help. I have not tried installing a new font, and maybe that's what I need to do, but it would surprise me that it is required.
    Apologies -- and sorry that my suggestion didn't fix the problem. Just to make sure I understand the problem: Is it that, on the weekly view (where the text gets extremely small), that the text is writing outside of the boundaries of the day? And overwriting other text?

That was the problem I saw in some of the Beta releases of Datebk5, if the "Non-Roman Language" preference in the Appt tab wasn't checked. With the release of Datebk5, I don't see the problem at all, irregardless of the "Non-Roman Languages" checkbox.

Quick summary of Hi-Res and Datebk5 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

As I understand it (and my experience with my T615C Clie reflects this), Datebk5 is "hi-res" with the Clie the same way most standard Palm Apps are -- the Clie Hi-Res assist uses the Clie hi-res fonts without any changes being made to the application.

The exception to this is that Datebk4 and Datebk5 have been coded to use hi-res, small fonts on Clies and Handeras for two specific Views: the weekly/2-week views, and the List view.

(It's arguable that the smaller text is difficult to read due to it's size.)

Using an alternate hi-res font, like Lubak's OS5 font, makes things more readable generally (it's global for all Palm applications on the Clie); but the small fonts are still small fonts. I'm not sure that doing that will help that much.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by whitewolf
    Can action names and datebk5 be installed on the palm for determining which one is liked better, or do you need to remove one?
    It is my (possibly wrong) understanding that you should not have them both on the same PDA at the same time.
    Ignoring Iambic's business practices and support, I've read a number of positive reviews about Action Names on this (and other) forums, by people I respect.

It seems to come down to: Datebk4/5 and ActionNames are both good products, and worthy of your inspection. I've often heard volcanopele's comment that ActionNames may be a better choice if you're using the Datebook/ToDos/Addresses in a contact-centric manner, and that Datebk4/5 is better otherwise.

PS I love -- love -- Datebk4/5, but I will say that, when first starting with it, I had to read the manual. Mostly to figure out how I wanted to customize the app to best suit my day-to-day scheduling.

And now it works just the way I want it to...
    Jeff Meyer

16. jke
    The next issue of Palm User mag is planning to do review of both. The 100 page manual for Datbk 5 is a little overwelling but, once you set it up the way like, it is a dream!
    How do you remove action names from the palm safely. Any help would be much apprecaited.

Thank you,
    Julie
  18.    #18  
    I think i misquoted on hi res fonts then. What I really want is small fonts in all views. Right now I can get it in the week view, and the list view, but I really want it in the day view. That options does not seem to be anywhere, and that is the one that Iambic seems to offer so seamlessly. I am not giving up though, maybe I can get a new font and get DateBk to use it. There must be a way to get my small fonts in the day view. This is the last stumbling block to tossing Iambic out the window for me, and I really would rather support DateBk
    I have never had a problem with iambic giving a quick and
    courteous response to a problem or question.

Unregistered domain names are associated with no one.

I am running both on my Prism at the same time w/o any conflicts.
    ....What I really want is small fonts in all views. Right now I can get it in the week view, and the list view, but I really want it in the day view. That options does not seem to be anywhere, and that is the one that Iambic seems to offer so seamlessly....
    I think that this has been discussed on the DateBk Users Group at Yahoo. I think CESD said that the reason Action Names offers small fonts in the day view and DateBk4/5 does not is that DateBk4/5 offers in place editing of appointments in the day view and Action Names doesn't. For a more thorough explanation search the archives at that group.

BTW, I have no idea whether Iambic's behavior is legal and I don't care. I do think it's sleazy though and I won't do business with them ever. Nor will I recommend their software to others.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast