1.    #1  
    I know these are different phones but will the actual CDMA be more than the GMS? Thanks

Also, I am 14 years old and I dont have too much $$$ but I have enough to buy one 180 or one 270. Should I wait for the 270? Is it worth it? Thanks

Dave
    What is a 14 year old doing with a cell phone much less a Treo 180 or 270? How do you plan to pay for the service?

I think the CDMA Treo will be roughly the same price as the GSM 270 about ~$800.
  3.    #3  
    I get $8 an hour washing dishes and cleaning tables and stuff. Its enough for me, you know lol. The 270 will be $729 without an agreement and $599 with an agreement so im sure early cancelation fees will be active.
    Originally posted by yardie
    What is a 14 year old doing with a cell phone much less a Treo 180 or 270? How do you plan to pay for the service?
    Give the kid a break, its his business if he can afford it or not. I don't think he would be asking if he didn't have some means of paying the bill. We shouldn't treat him any differently just because he's 14. Heck, he's already showing great taste in technology at his young age Besides, haven't you noticed the ever-growing number of teenagers with cell phones? It really is not that uncommon anymore.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks marty. Im not rich but I can afford what I want u know what I mean

Dave
    anyway he didnt get reply..... there is always opinion about others but no reply to the question....
    First of all, don't let anyone here scare you off.

I remember when I was 14 and bought my first computer for $50 (ancient TI 99/4a). It changed my life, really, I wound up growing up to become a computer programmer because of it and doing reasonably well, financially. Whenever I bring up the story, I thank my Mom who bought me the 'ole $50 TI computer from KMart. I started programming that machine and realized I no longer wanted to be a Surgeon... and instead wanted to be a professional nerd. My Mom and Dad were disappointed about not being a surgeon, but hey I get to spend more time with my family today See, sometimes purchase decisions as simple as the one you are considering can have an impact on your future.

It's fun to see another 14 year old, 20 years later, asking a question that I would have asked back then (although, remember no Internet existed for home users back then-Governments and Universities perhaps).

Anyways, I'll try to help you come to a conclusion to your question:

Choose the TREO 180 IF:
    1) You want your cellphone and PDA to be in one unit.
    2) You don't like colorful games.
    3) You have excellent GSM Coverage in your area (or areas that you visit frequently).
    4) You don't like to carry pictures of your family, Dog, Cat on your PDA.
    5) You don't care about expansion.
    6) You like to be able to view the screen outdoors.
    7) You want the device AND SCREEN to be really small, perhaps too small.

Choose the TREO 270 (CDMA Version) IF:
    2) You really like colorful games.
    3) You don't have good GSM Coverage or you do and choose the GSM Version of the 270.
    4) You like carrying pictures of your family, Dog, Cat on your PDA.
    6) You don't care about expansion.
    7) You like to be able to view the screen outdoors.
    8) You want the device AND SCREEN to be really small, perhaps too small.

Choose the VisorPrism and (FREE) VisorPhone IF:
    2) You really like colorful games.
    3) You have good GSM Coverage in your area.
    4) You like carrying pictures of your family, Dog, Cat on your PDA.
    6) You want your device expandable.
    7) Not being able to view the screen outdoors is not a problem.
    8) You like a larger screen.
    9) 8MB of RAM will be plenty of room for what you need.
    10) You don't mind carrying a rather bulky all-in one solution.
    11) The price is signifigantly less than the above two options. A VisorPrism (refurbished) can be picked up for $199 with a free VisorPhone with service activation. You could put the remaining $500 into a PalmOS 5 handheld for next year!

I hope the above is helpful to you. Only you can pick the right device for your needs. In fact, the above three options may not be what you want either. You can also consider a PalmOS pda with the bluetooth card and use bluetooth (or even IrDA) to work with an external mobile phone. If you want an integrated phone, then perhaps one of the above three is right for you. I use the VisorPhone and VisorPrism which is nearly identical in function (90%) to the TREO. Although, this is clearly not an ideal solution for everyone and a bit bulky.

Hope this helps!

jonecool
    Last edited by jonecool; 05/05/2002 at 12:02 AM.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Jonecool.

I think im going for the 180. The 270 is nice, sure, but I just cant afford it. Maybe next year when they come out with the 370 or something ill have enough $$$. Until then I think the 180 is my thing.

PS. How do color apps runs on the 180 (any monocrome screen) does it look ok? Thanks

Dave
    Dave,

It depends on the application (and programmer). Some color apps may not run on a non-color machine. They'll typically either have two different versions of the app, or the color app will just prompt you that it won't run. While others include both color and b&w support within a single program. It was really up to how the programmer wanted to write the application and if they wanted to support both. Most do, but not all.

Bejewled for instance has two versions, a color and a b&w. Color typically takes up more space and is a good reason to break it up into separate programs.

Hope this helps...
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I didn't get my first cell phone till I could drive, and even that was one of those original Motorola Analog Flip phones. Kids today have it so nice...

I still have it too, though it's been long replaced by various digitals. I should turn it on and see if it still gets great signal.

My 180 is great, and priced the same (after rebates) as my Dlx was 2 (or is it 3..) years ago, which is pretty impressive when you realize it has a faster processor, twice the RAM, and a cell phone built in.
    -- Go Illini!
    3Gready wrote:

The 270 will be $729 without an agreement and $599 with an agreement so im sure early cancelation fees will be active.

Yikes. Does anyone know, based on the Wireless Web Digital Link, if Sprint's "without an agreement" price pertains only to new agreements? That is, if you have an existing plan with Sprint, do you get the "wiith an agreement" price?

I'd ask Sprint directly, but human beings are in short supply there.
  12.    #12  
    Yikes is right. When I read that article it said that was the GSM/GMRS version. NOT the CDMA (3g). The CDMA version will be more $$ a month so im not sure how that would work. Ask sprint though, they're in charge of the first 3G networks.

Dave
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    [B]Yikes. Does anyone know, based on the Wireless Web Digital Link, if Sprint's "without an agreement" price pertains only to new agreements? That is, if you have an existing plan with Sprint, do you get the "wiith an agreement" price?
    I would venture to guess that they would just tack on an additional year to your existing contract. I think it would be bad business if they didn't try to retain existing customers and give them the cold shoulder. It would be a zero sum gain - they'd get new customers, but lose old ones.
    If you extend your contract with sprint they usually give you the lower price.
    Everything I've read about Sprint's new 3G CDMA network points to the CDMA Treo 270 being a lot faster than the GSM version.
    Originally posted by jonecool
    First of all, don't let anyone here scare you off.

I remember when I was 14 and bought my first computer for $50 (ancient TI 99/4a). It changed my life, really, I wound up growing up to become a computer programmer because of it and doing reasonably well, financially. Whenever I bring up the story, I thank my Mom who bought me the 'ole $50 TI computer from KMart. I started programming that machine and realized I no longer wanted to be a Surgeon... and instead wanted to be a professional nerd. My Mom and Dad were disappointed about not being a surgeon, but hey I get to spend more time with my family today See, sometimes purchase decisions as simple as the one you are considering can have an impact on your future.

It's fun to see another 14 year old, 20 years later, asking a question that I would have asked back then (although, remember no Internet existed for home users back then-Governments and Universities perhaps).

Anyways, I'll try to help you come to a conclusion to your question:

Choose the TREO 180 IF:
    2) You don't like colorful games.
    3) You have excellent GSM Coverage in your area (or areas that you visit frequently).
    4) You don't like to carry pictures of your family, Dog, Cat on your PDA.
    5) You don't care about expansion.
    6) You like to be able to view the screen outdoors.
    7) You want the device AND SCREEN to be really small, perhaps too small.
    Hey! I carry pix of my family and my dog on my Treo - they're just greyscale.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY

Hey! I carry pix of my family and my dog on my Treo - they're just greyscale.
    Your family, your dog? or their pictures?

The comments regarding changing phones with sprint are true here - called yesterday about possibly upgrading phones, and although the CS person knew nothing about the Treo (not surprisingly), they did say that upgrading phones would extend my contract out an additional year.

Having used both Voicestream and SprintPCS with a Visorphone, Sprint's network wins easily in speed (connect-time, tranfer speed, and coverage).

Kupe
    So did you end up buying the Treo 180?
    I hope you didn't. THe price difference is so different now, the 270 is really the one you should buy.