1.    #1  
    http://216.119.165.52/Portal/showroo.../treo_copy.jpg

Promax Wireless features their treo swivel clip holster on their front page. I have been waiting for a treo plasic holster, and this looks like it. Before I buy it (I need to figure out how first...can't find their store!), what opinions do you have on it? I can't find pricing info.
    Dear Ernst,

Thank you for writing us.

We appreciate your interest with Promax Wireless Products.

Currently, We only sale the products to wholesale. However, we are building
    our online store www.seidio.com and will keep you informed once the online
    store is uploaded. The estimate launch date is May 5.

In response to your query on TREO model, we are grateful to announce that
    the Holster for TREO will be available for the price of $29.95 on 4/26. If
    you are interested in purchase the holster and other accessories such as
    Emergency Power Kit, Travel Charger, Cigrette Lighter Adaptor, Leather
    Case...etc for Treo prior to our online store open, please feel free to
    contact us at (713)974-2277 ext 106, we can preorder the Treo Swivel Clip
    Holster and sent it out to you as soon as we have it inventory.

For your information on the shipping time, we will ship the items and you
    will receive an email confirmation within 24 hours of your order submission.
    After checking with Fedex, it usally takes about 7-10 days for the products
    arrive to Germany.

Sorry for any inconvenience you may have been caused, and, thank you for
    your patience and understanding.

Promax Wireless Products,

Angela Liou
    10415 Westpark Dr. Suite B
    Houston, TX 77042
    Tel:713-974-2277
    Fax: 713-361-1302
    angela@promaxwireless.com
    www.promaxwireless.com
    Well.....

"Real" holsters are made of leather. Just ask Clint Eastwood. Or Charlton Heston.

That said, here's my opinion...

1) The Startac holster is great. Why? Holds the phone securely, phone can be withdrawn quickly, with one hand, without looking, when withdrawn the phone is in the right orientation to flip open and start talking with no shifting or shuffling in the hand. They REALLY got it right.

2) The V-series holster sux. Too awkward to clip and unclip, orientation is reversed from the Startac Holster (so you can see the display, but it makes it backwards when you draw). Imagine being right handed, and wearing your gun on your right side, with the grip pointing forward. You'd have to draw, then flip it over, then shoot the varmint that's russlin your steers. Just doesn't make sense.

3) The Promax "holster" is pretty darn similar to the V-series "holster". From looking at it I can't really tell how you get the phone in and out...

4) Since it offers virtually no protection to the phone, why not save the money, and have a quicker release, and just get the clip?

Or tuck the Brookstone, which offers more protection and quick draw...

Paul
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    It is kind of cool to be able to flip up the TREO to look at the caller ID while it's still on your belt, though.
    I just placed my order for the Promax holster and we'll see how well it works. Currently, I put my Treo in my pocket and really don't like that. I'm not a huge fan of the cases as they all seem a bit cumbersome.

Paul, I'm with you on the StarTac holster...I've had my StarTac for 2.5 years and the holster is extremely convenient. I wish the Promax one was turned around and I really could care less about the rotating thing (just seems like one more thing to break).

In any case, I'll post when I get it and let you folks know what I think of it. I should have it early next week as they have them in stock and it will ship out ground today.

Crossing my fingers that I'll like it...
  6.    #6  
    Hmm, they have yet to reply to my email.

Resp to Paul:
    1: Yes, that's why I like plastic holsters over any kind of leather holster or case. Quick, one-handed draw and even easier return. All of my cell phones have had this (not just the star tac!)

3: Seems to place in and clip over the top. Like all other holsters (star tac, etc), very easy. That is, from the pictures.

4: We've had this discussion before, but: The clip: you must modify your treo by permanently attaching a piece of plastic to it. It no longer fits comfortable in your pocket, and more importantly it doesn't fit in the cradly. Brookstone: still one of the best alternatives, but adds bulk (made for a thicker phone), and an extra step to remove and return (pull up velcro flap). And also IMO looks much worse to have a big black brick on your side as opposed to advertising your technologically superior treo for all to see. And your treo has built-in screen protection, it doesn't need another layer.

Sgruby- thanks for being a guinea pig. How long did they say it would take for you to get it? I think it will be nice to flip & look up at caller info too, and I also don't care about swiveling.

So there is my two cents. OK more like three fiddy.
    Originally posted by jwardell

Sgruby- thanks for being a guinea pig. How long did they say it would take for you to get it? I think it will be nice to flip & look up at caller info too, and I also don't care about swiveling.
    They said that they were shipping it out ground yesterday, but it got sent out Fedex Express Saver which I think is 2-3 days, so I should have it on Friday, I hope.

In exchange for being the guinea pig, people can buy my Random Alarms prorgam :-) http://www.notifymail.com/palm/ It has a cool Treo feature...it makes the Treo vibrate when you have a normal Palm alarm go off!
    Just got mine. Don't like it already. Mostly because it's pretty tricky to put your Treo into it, and impossible to take it out. I was hoping for a quick-release (plastic) holster like my StarTAC ST7760 had, but this thing, although well-made and functional (you have access to everything, including the reset on the Treo's back), has to be removed from your belt with the Treo to use it. You can just quickly "unholster" your Treo. And, as usual, you can't use the cradle with this thing on your Treo. The one thing I was looking for was a quick-release type of action, and this doesn't have it. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong, BTW. It's a great little product. But if the release or cradle issue is important to you, take a pass on this one too.
    Last edited by Fleischner; 05/03/2002 at 02:55 PM.
    Received mine today. Ordered 5/1 with "ground" shipping (actually FedEx Saver). Quality is ok - I'd say the plastic is a bit soft, but that seems to help with inserting and removing the Treo. The Treo is held in at the top with a piece which straddles the antenna - actually very ingenious as the top of the Treo is very crowded. The clip is a standard spring-loaded type with a small loop at the bottom to prevent it from slipping off your belt. All in all it seems to fit the bill if you're looking for a Star-Tac style holster. BTW, I don't mind the Treo facing out, but some people may - it shows off my geek-ware!
    Originally posted by Fleischner
    it's pretty tricky to put your Treo into it, and impossible to take it out. I was hoping for a quick-release (plastic) holster like my StarTAC ST7760 had, but this thing, although well-made and functional (you have access to everything, including the reset on the Treo's back), has to be removed from your belt with the Treo to use it. You can just quickly "unholster" your Treo. The one thing I was looking for was a quick-release type of action, and this doesn't have it. Sigh.
    Funny you mention this. My right arm is in a sling (argh...) so I'm using it on my left side - with it aligned this way, your left thumb fits perfectly on the release tab. I bet the person who designed it was a lefty (not that there's anything wrong with that). Try it out on your left side and see if this makes a difference...
    I know Paul is a sold out flapper but,

4: We've had this discussion before, but: The clip: you must modify your treo by permanently attaching a piece of plastic to it.
    Nope, just a little double sided tape. Comes off with relative ease... Going on unit #4 :-/ and have had to switch.

It no longer fits comfortable in your pocket, and more importantly it doesn't fit in the cradly.
    Nope and Nope, the Button is about the size of a thick... well a button. No problem with pockets or cradles.

Brookstone: still one of the best alternatives, but adds bulk (made for a thicker phone), and an extra step to remove and return (pull up velcro flap). And also IMO looks much worse to have a big black brick on your side as opposed to advertising your technologically superior treo for all to see. And your treo has built-in screen protection, it doesn't need another layer.
    Yup!

So there is my two cents. OK more like three fiddy.
    And there is my pocket change too!

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
  12.    #12  
    So what is the consensus? Can only be easily unholstered quickly with one hand when worn on the left side, and with your left hand?

This isn't really a problem. I used to switch sides with my first cell phone, then stuck with my right. So it's time to give some cancer to my left hip too.
    ** please read the note at the end of this message **

This morning I looked at www.seidio.com and noticed the USB Sync/charger cable and the emergency charger for the Treo 180. This afternoon I decided to put in an order for the cable, only this time the cables and emergency charger are not shown anymore.
    Then I looked some more at the site and I found three reasons why not to order:

1) No contact information anywhere on the site. I did find an email address customer@seido.com and a telephone number:
    ---
    If you would prefer immediate assistance you can call the following numbers between the hours of 9:00a.m.- 5:00p.m. CST Monday-Friday and talk to a Seidio representative at 888-xxx-xxxx. The Seidio Returns Department will issue a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number to you via return e-mail within 24 hours of receipt
    ---
    2) The items that interest me have disappeared
    3) The shipping charges are outrageous:
    For a $12.95 item the shipping costs to Germany will be $31.99 + 4.99 giving a total of $56.93 (over 65% are shipping costs)

I just ordered a case from www.tuff-as-nuts.com, they are located in New Zealand but give all prices in US$, shipping everywhere is $8 for any item. (another interesting note is that I received 3 emails within a few hours to confirm order, confirm CC approval, and to inform that the product has been shipped!).

NOTE: Maybe I should give Seidio the benefit of doubt. The site has just opened and this may be caused by initial problems preparing the information. The phone number is definitely incomplere, this may be the same for the contact information and the shipping conditions. My advise is to check carefully before ordering.
    Whew 40.00 bigguns for the T.A.N.??

If you ask me that's... (you got it!) NUTS!!

Cancel the order and get a Brookstone for 12.00 and buy some software.

No offence intended, it seems to have excellent quality but also looks bulky. I hope it works out for you, let us know and hopefully I'm wrong.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    I just had another look at the page with the accessoiries for the Treo 180 and I found the following interesting line in the html source: (edited to avoid problems)

"!-- This is a demonstration only.The company and site are fictitious, products are not really for sale."
    I got my holster on Friday and am quite pleased with it. It seems pretty solid and doesn't look like my Treo is going to fall out. I'm getting used to pulling it out of the holster and putting it back in.

So far, no complaints...much better than a bulky carrying case, in my opinion.