Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Today, May 12, I purchased Cell Plan Tracking, with the hope of being able to track my data minutes. I loaded it into my Treo 180 and typed in 250 peak minutes, 3500 weekend minutes. I rarely use the phone (but am glad to have it) but compulsively check pop3 e-mail and browse several times a day. I'm using a Cingular National 250 plan, and am payng $9.99 for 250 SMS messages per month. I live in California. Cell Plan Tracking amazingly "knows" that I made 19 minutes of calls during my plan period from April 16 to May 15. That agrees with my billable minutes record on Cingular.com. However, it do not see the 178 minutes I logged during the same time period to access e-mail and check a few favorite browsers. As an experiment, I spent about five minutes using My Wireless Window to access some Web pages, but it doesn't show these new minutes. What am I doing wrong? If I can get this to show me data minutes I will be extremely happy. Author are you there?
    Treo user, 67+
    You need to enable a system hack to get data tracking working with CP Tracker. If you've already got XMaster on your Treo, just go into it and enable the hack.

If not, you need to install XMaster and then enable the data hack.
  3.    #43  
    Also, installing the hack and application won't make all your past data calls magically appear. The hack tracks data calls that are made while it is active. As such, only calls you make from here on out, with the hack installed and turned on, will be tracked by Cell Plan Tracker, or any other app that looks at the Call Log file in the Phone app.
    No matter what you do, those 178 minutes you logged already are not going to show up.
    But it's still a good app, so long as you have that hack turned on, at least when you're making data calls. It's definitely a future pay-off kind of thing, though. ;-)
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    To rluxemburg, thank you for supplying me with the missing piece of the puzzle (X-Master); to Greg Gaub, thank you for clarifying the fact that the software can't magically capture past data minutes; but most of all thank you to tubby_bartles, alleged author, for creating a software solution to a problem that bugged me from the very day I started using my Treo with Cingular and racking up data minutes without knowing when in the month I needed to SLOW DOWN my e-mailing and browsing! Problem solved.
    While on the topic of the Treo, 1) I'd like to put in a plug for the belt loop case made by Nutshell (it feels perfect, though it lacks a place to stow the headphone which I only use it in the car, anyway) 2) on another VisorCentral Treo thread I posted these additional wishes/hopes/needs for the Treo: I wonder if it will be technically possible for third-party hardware makers to make the following gadgets that would attach to the sync connector at the base: Voice recorder; Palmpix-style camera; large foldup keyboard typing at hotels; solar recharger.
    Thanks again you guys! Steve in S. Calif
    Treo user, 67+
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Does anybody know (or if Kevin still lurks around here) are there plans to track SMS messages in Cell Plan Tracker?

- Matt
  6.    #46  
    Originally posted by tubby_bartles
    Oh, and I got the SMS request on the future feature list. I think Handspring may have added new traps to the system to handle this, though, since I can't find an obvious event in the Palm that indicates an SMS event. I'll do some research, but if any of you have any info on that, let me know.

-- Kevin
    Is that answer enough? He wants to add SMS tracking. Hopefully he'll be able to find the information needed to make it work. He got data call tracking to work, after all.

-Greg
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Ahh - I missed that post. Thanks Greg.

- Matt
    To the author of Cell Plan

I'm from Singapore and my current provider billed based on per second usage.
    Is there going to be a provision where we could have the option to set either by second or by minutes.

Cheers
    Since here in India the rates for incoming and outgoing calls are different, it would be nice if the program allowed for this. Also the rates for roaming is different from the home area rates, thus the program should allow for different settigns for roaming and home area calls. Also the home area calls are billed on a 30 second cycle, whereas roaming calls are billed on a 60 second cycle.

Without these functions the program is pretty much useless for someone in this part of the world.
    It would be great if you could put in an "adjustment" in the plan set up, to keep the minutes reported by CellPlan in sync with what the provider reports. This could be useful if it misses calls (I miss many of the data calls for whatever reason), if the provider gets out of sync, or if you start mid-month. Right now for instance CellPlan 44 minutes off from what Voicestream reports and I'm only halfway into the month. If I could tell it to add 44 to what it reports I could get a more realistic number for the rest of the month.
    I just got my 270 and installed cell plan tracker 1.2.
    My Voicestream plan allows 800 minutes and unlimited weekends.

My configuration:
    Peak 800
    Off Peak 9999
    Day of the month cycle 21
    Weekday 0-24
    Weekend 0-0

For plan features
    Track data as peak
    The numbers didn't seem to add up so I selected track data separately and it showed data minutes as 0, even though I have made several data calls.
    What are the proper settings?
    Thanks Kevin
    Originally posted by Kevin0306
    IThe numbers didn't seem to add up so I selected track data separately and it showed data minutes as 0, even though I have made several data calls.
    What are the proper settings?
    Kevin,

Did you install the DataCallHack? That will track your data calls (you can check the call log in the Phone App to see if it's recording them). If that's not your problem, you may just be having the slight offset that I see accumulate (see my prior posts). I don't know if they are VS's innacuracy or the treo's but not all calls are recorded as exactly the same so over the course of the month the totals drift apart.

- Paul
    I do have the data hack installed and the log data calls box is checked on X-master. Do I need to do anything else with the settings on X-master?
    Does VoiceStream charge by the minute or the second? Mine is off, but i figured that its because of all trhe rounding that the tracker does. My carrier bills by the second.

Originally posted by hesspaul

Kevin,

Did you install the DataCallHack? That will track your data calls (you can check the call log in the Phone App to see if it's recording them). If that's not your problem, you may just be having the slight offset that I see accumulate (see my prior posts). I don't know if they are VS's innacuracy or the treo's but not all calls are recorded as exactly the same so over the course of the month the totals drift apart.

- Paul
    Originally posted by yardie
    Does VoiceStream charge by the minute or the second? Mine is off, but i figured that its because of all trhe rounding that the tracker does. My carrier bills by the second.

VoiceStream charges by the minute, but their definition of a minute doesn't necessarily work the way your Treo records it (in terms of exactly when a call stars and stops). Over time this adds up. Right now VoiceStream says I have used 131 minutes, but CellPlan says 141.
    The data calls don't seem to be included at all. If I change the settings to track data calls separately (instead of "as peak" or "as normal" the data count in cell plan tacker still says 0.

btw- maybe old news, but the data minutes, as originally posted on this thread do come out of your anytime minute bucket even if you are making data calls during the weekend. Weekend data calls are not unlimited like the voice calls. The voicestream data tech person I talked to offered unlimited weekend data calls for $10 extra per month.
    Kevin
    Originally posted by Kevin0306
    I do have the data hack installed and the log data calls box is checked on X-master. Do I need to do anything else with the settings on X-master?
    If you upgraded to the most recent version of CellPlan, did you turn off and even delete your old data hack before installing the new one? I don't know if it's required to delete but you should definitely turn it off before installing the new hack. My only other suggestion is to try restarting the Treo.
    This was a first time install, not an upgrade
    Silly question, but have you made data calls since you turned on the Data Hack? It doesn't know about any data calls you made before then (since they weren't logged)...

Paul
  20.    #60  
    Paul makes a good point. Log Data Calls doesn't work some kind of magic to make previously made calls appear. It can only log the calls made while the hack is installed and active. It took me quite a bit of explaining before my Dad understood why the calls he had made didn't appear in the call log even though the hack was installed. Then he forgot to turn the hack back on after a soft reset, and wondered why the logging stopped.

Remember, ONLY the calls made WHILE the hack is installed and active will be logged. Previously made calls, or calls made while the hack is off will NOT be logged, and can NEVER be tracked. The hack simply inserts the data call information into the phone's call log. It doesn't "unlock hidden calls" or unhide them or anything. The calls simply are not in the log unless Log Data Calls tracks it when it happens.

-Greg
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast