Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    ok, you're right that there's a way to define weekend *something* but only when the peak times are. This is fine if your plan depends solely on peak or off-peak times, which I gather some Cingular plans do. But it doesn't do anything for Voicestream plans because Voicestream doesn't care what time of day a call is made. They only care what day of the week it's made on. Since Cell Plan Tracker has no way to differentiate between weekday plan minutes and weekend plan minutes, Voicestream users will have to wait for a future version.

In case I missed something, has anyone seen any competing apps that DO support Voicestream style plans?

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by pbryon
    Has anyone configured Call Tracker for one of the voicestream services that includes unlimited weekends? Can they share how they did it? I think I've got it, but for some reason I don't think I'm doing it right. The way I did it I have one or two weekend hours that count towards my total.
    Ok, I looked at it again, and did some thinking and some fiddling, and think I've figure out how to make it work for Voicestream users like us. For my example, I'm using the NationWide Basic plan (the one I have):

Plan Name: Voicestream Basic (not that it matters ;-)
    Peak Minutes: 60
    Off Peak Minutes: 500
    Day of Month Cycle Starts: 15 (that's what it is for me, anyway)

Weekday Peak Times
    12 AM to 11 PM

Weekend Peak Times
    12 AM to 1 AM

This essentially turns all the weekdays into all peak time, and the weekend days into off-peak time. If I make a call after 11pm on a weekday, or before 1 am on a weekend, then it will mess up my tracking by however many minutes that call is, but I'm *highly* unlikely to be making or taking calls at those hours, so I'm not worried.
    Looking at the results on the Cell Plan Time Used screen (the main screen) it looks like the minutes are calculated properly. I haven't sat down and counted them myself though.

For people with unlimited weekend minutes, I would suggest simply putting an insanely large number in the off-peak field. It appears to only take 4 digits, so 9999 should do the trick. The important thing is that the weekend minutes are now separated from your weekday minutes, making it easier to determine how many of your "whenever" minutes are being used.

Of course, this still doesn't do much for tracking data minutes or other more complicated calling plans, but it's a workaround until the program is updated. It would be really cool if the author could go as far as to track the amount of data downloaded for GPRS services that bill per megabyte.

Hope that helps someone! This is much better than B'Alerted.
    Wow! I sent an email to the creator of "Cell Plan Tracker" about the issue of "unlimited mobile to mobile" minutes that I have in my plan , and within days a new release was out!

The new version also accomodates the following:

-first incoming minute free

- free numbers dialed (such as 611 or mobile-to mobile plans)

plus other little improvements.

Very useful!
    Last edited by AbortRetryFail?; 05/02/2002 at 07:02 PM.
  4.    #24  
    LOL! I just checked that this morning looking for an update. I'm glad it's there, though. The 24 hour set up works much better than the am/pm set up. The other enhancements are goo, too. I rarely use the free numbers, but I'm going to try to find out what the free numbers in my area are, so that I at least know what they are.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Is anybody else having trouble with cell plan tracker? I have the voicestream plan with 200 anytime minutes, and free weekends. I'm pretty sure I have the tracker set up properly for this, yet my weekend voice calls are still being added to the peak minute counter.

My plan definition screen goes like this:

--------------------------------
    Plan Name: Voicestream
    Peak Minutes: 200
    Off Peak Minutes: 0
    Day of Month Cycle Starts: 14

Peak Times

Weekday: 0 to 24
    Weekend 0 to 0
    --------------------------------

Did I misconfigure?

- Matt
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by mportune
    I have the voicestream plan with 200 anytime minutes, and free weekends.

Off Peak Minutes: 0

Did I misconfigure?
    Yes. Like I said in my post about how to configure for VoiceStream above, for those with unlimited weekends, you need to just enter the biggest number you can for the off peak minutes. Currently, the biggest number you can enter is 9999. Put that in for your off peak minutes and see what happens.

-Greg
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    That did it - thanks Greg. Hopefully the next update will handle that issue smartly.

- Matt
  8.    #28  
    Cell Plan Tracker now includes a hack that tracks data minutes and puts them into the call history log! With that, and the new features of the Cell Plan Tracker application, we can all keep track of how much time we're spending on the phone, voice AND data calls!
    It was just uploaded to PalmGear, and is currently the only solution that I know of that tracks data calls!

Get it!
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m?prodID=41359

-Greg
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Hi Greg,

Does it fix the '9999' issue, or is that still required to account for free weekends?

- Matt

PS - clever new pic.
  10.    #30  
    nope, still need to put in 9999.
    Still, the author is enthusiastic about making this the perfect cell plan tracker app. I've put my money where my mouth is and paid for a registered copy. I look forward to continued improvements to this application. I'll suggest that he add some way to account for free weekends.
    (This is the author)

Sorry, I misread the bug reports on weekends for Voicestream. I have re-uploaded version 1.0 to PalmGear and Handango, so either one should have the fix for the "9999" issue.

-- Kevin
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Originally posted by tubby_bartles
    (This is the author)

Sorry, I misread the bug reports on weekends for Voicestream. I have re-uploaded version 1.0 to PalmGear and Handango, so either one should have the fix for the "9999" issue.

-- Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for the updates. I just purchased your app via PalmGear. Keep up the great work!

- Matt
    (This is the author)

-- Kevin
    Thanks for all your hard work!!

This may not be the best way to get in touch with the author, but the current improvements make this a great product. To me, it would be absolutely perfect if it somehow could track the number of SMS messages sent and received as well. I don't know how feasible this is, but it's worth asking. That way I can keep complete track of EVERYTHING that VoiceStream might charge me for.
    (This is the author)

-- Kevin
    Maybe I'm missing something here - I just downloaded the app from PalmGear and I don't see how the "9999" issue has been fixed. It still appears as though I have to enter some number for off-peak minutes. Can anybody give me a clue?

BTW - Great product. I'm registering today.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    You still have to enter a number, but now '0' works. It didn't before.

- Matt
    I noticed that on my bill, I get charged by Cingular for failed data connections (you know, when it says "Retrying" and takes 2 or 3 tries to get it right). I want to track these in Cell Plan Tracker as well, but before I code that I need to know how they are billed by Voicestream.

I know for some Voicestream plans, data minutes are billed as peak minutes regardless of the time of week. Do failed data calls count only as normal calls since a data link was never established, or do they count as data calls (billed as peak)?

Let me know and I'll include the right way to track them in the next release.
    Oh, and I got the SMS request on the future feature list. I think Handspring may have added new traps to the system to handle this, though, since I can't find an obvious event in the Palm that indicates an SMS event. I'll do some research, but if any of you have any info on that, let me know.

-- Kevin
    For some reason, Cell Plan Tracker ain'[t working for me. I think I know why though. For some reason all my tags are being marked as "roaming" even though I am not roaming. When I get my phone bill it accuratelyt reflects that my calls are local. I suspect that I am getting tghe roaming message because I am using a cell phone provider that does not have an agreement with Handspring..I am not sure. It is strange though.
    I've just downloaded Cell Plan Tracker to try out. It only seems to be getting about 2 out of 3 of my data calls. I don't yet see a pattern as to which ones show up in the call log and which ones it misses.

Is anyone else having similar experiences. I'm using it with X-Master.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast