1.    #1  
    I'm sorry to say, but I was very unhappy with this product. First and foremost, when both parts are attached (the "holster" part which holds the body of the Treo, and the "flip top" part which covers the lid and is then snapped onto the holster on the back) my Treo wouldn't close. At the widest part-- near the hardware buttons-- the lid was open by a quarter-inch. Obviously, unacceptable. No matter how much tugging and yanking I did on the thing, I couldn't get it to just close correctly.

Next, when I do open the lid, the leather in front of the antenna bunches up and the Treo only opens 80% of the way, unless I force it up the rest of the way.

I didn't like the feel of the Treo when this case is on it. The extra leather on the sides of the case feels uncomfortable to me, as does the clear plastic that the speaker part of the lid slides into. Same goes for the clear plastic of the holster part that the lower edge of the Treo slides into. This plastic covers the hardware buttons, and although they're quite visible and responsive through the plastic, it's just not right. And finally, there's a third area of clear plastic that crosses the face of the Treo just between the bottom of the screen and the top row of keyboard buttons, and I don't like it. It refuses to stay in place, and keeps slipping down *just* enough to begin covering the aforementioned keyboard buttons.

So, I thought I'd remove (unsnap) the flip top part and just try it with the holster part for a while.

It's a bit better this way, although all of the lower-Treo issues still apply (mostly the plastic above the keys and covering the hardware buttons). The case comes with a little leather loop with a snap at the end that you hook around the antenna and attach to the now-available snaps on the back. This is so if the case rotates 180 degrees (antenna-down), the Treo doesn't fall out. The belt clip is attaches close to the middle on the back. If the clip were attached closer to the top of the case, I would imagine it wouldn't rotate as much and be safer. But so much of the Treo is exposed, it's barely worth putting it in a case this way.

The quick-release clip on the back is nice. It's easy to slap the case onto the clip, where it locks securely. You press a button on the top of the clip to release the case with the Treo (there's a big metal stud/knob on the back of the case), and I found that to be this thing's best feature.

All said, I'm sticking with my Brookstone. Now if I could only get that clip onto the back of it...
    Last edited by Fleischner; 04/22/2002 at 08:49 PM.
    Originally posted by Fleischner
    All said, I'm sticking with my Brookstone. Now if I could only get that clip onto the back of it... [/B]
    Sorry to hear this didn't work out. We all (even Friar Tucker) want better cases.

Have you looked atTheClip ? They have instructions for modifying a case to put their button on it - this might work for the Brookstone case - though I haven't tried it yet...

I'm still loving the Brookstone case in holster mode. A month and a half, without one single drop.

Paul
    i have been using my case from casetechworks nearly a whole day and like the added protection it gives compared to the brookstone case. this is a very workable full case not a pouch like the brookstone case you dont remove the unit from the case to use it . i can understand some of the flaws in a previous post but the leather has to work in i had the same problem from an eb case that did not close properly untill i started using it . after using this case a whole day it is closing much better
    I just got the Krusell case yesterday and have found much of the same quirks to be true for it. On top of that, it has a whole extra set of quirks because of their secondary/outer protective cover. It offers more protection, but also more bulk and more quirks. I hope to put together a set of pictures soon, and a full review shortly thereafter. With the Krusell case there's also a little stretching to be done. After leaving my Treo in the case overnight, it snaps shut more easily. Anyway, I'll have more later, probably along with my views of the Case Techworks case.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Does either of these cases work with the cradle?

Greg - do you have to take your Treo out of the case to use your car mount?

These "glove" type cases just seem like something to get between me and the treo - to reduce the natural "feel" of the treo and the man-machine intimacy that results - kinda like the "love glove"...

For something to be called a "holster", you should be able to easily and quickly remove the device when you actually are using it. While sometimes in cowboy movies they fire the guns while they're still in the holsters, that isn't really how they were meant to be used...

Paul
    No, the vent clip has a notch for standard sized belt clip buttons, which this appears to be. So there should be no problem using this on my car mount. I did have to carefully remove the metal plate from the back of my Treo again, to make the Krusell case fit better. But, since I'll be getting the Case Techworks case as well, I figured it would probably fit better without the plate also. They both use standard clip buttons, so I'm sure both will work in the car mount I use.

That said, the Krusell, and I expect the Case Techworks as well, won't work with the Treo HotSync cradle, which arrived mere hours earlier. The cradle is like a plastic holster should be, and no case will allow the Treo to get into the cradle. Fortunately it feels like there's enough room open on the back that if/when I put the metal plate back on and go back to my Brookstone (which I already miss ;-) it should still work in the cradle ok.

THAT said, the Krusell works fine if you're using the HotSync cable, as there connect is free when the case is unsnapped.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    I agree with you. I was a bit worried about the flip thing too. But now it closes like it should. I ahve no problems with the plastic thingie over the buttons and no problems with the platic over the hardware buttons. I can see problems if you are gamer though..then again the Treo buttons weren't designed for game playing.

Originally posted by fkpalm
    i have been using my case from casetechworks nearly a whole day and like the added protection it gives compared to the brookstone case. this is a very workable full case not a pouch like the brookstone case you dont remove the unit from the case to use it . i can understand some of the flaws in a previous post but the leather has to work in i had the same problem from an eb case that did not close properly untill i started using it . after using this case a whole day it is closing much better