1.    #1  
    I don't think there is much interest
    in the Treo and its rumors....

But, here is one I found:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=3338
    The only thing in that article that hasn't been summerized/said before is the bit about a two-level backlight. Battery I guess to - but that didn't say much.

btw, the 270 uses the exact same caseing as the 180. (color might be different though..)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    I wouldn't have posted it if it hadn't had something new
    If the cdma version is comng out at the end of june, should the gsm version come out at the same time?

From the article:

"This is still much higher than the GSM version, which has a max speed of 14.4 kbps, and even faster than a landline modem. "

This 14.4 speed is before the upgrade to What ever the other standard names is that is also coming out this quarter?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    If the cdma version is comng out at the end of june, should the gsm version come out at the same time?

Gawd, I hope not... I am hoping the GSM version of the Treo 270 will be out before the Sprint version.

I want it out so Sprint won't charge to much $$$ for the thing and I could use it to leverage a deal since I am currently on month to month with Sprint.

-henry
    what do people think of the dimensions? It's thickness is a full inch. The cdma radio, which is slightly larger than gsm, and maybe a more powerful battery. Does size matter?
  7.    #7  
    CDMA is more efficent with battery power which is one of the reasons why GSM and TMDA don't contain analog support.

Yeah, I saw that 1" thick thing... size does matter and in this case, larger is NOT better.

-henry
    Originally posted by rolltide6
    what do people think of the dimensions? It's thickness is a full inch. The cdma radio, which is slightly larger than gsm, and maybe a more powerful battery. Does size matter?

I believe that the current gsm treo is also pretty close if not a full inch thick (it probably is a full inch) at it's thickest point (which by my estimation would be where the hinge is).

the rest of the treo isn't even close to an inch, but the hinge does stick out a good deal...

from what i understand the cdma treo is the same casing as the current one!
    from what i understand the cdma treo is the same casing as the current one!
    I would not be suprised if it turned out to be a silver/gray as mentioned at PIC. This would fit into Sprint's lineup very nicely, instead of having it be the 'oddball' out.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Originally posted by miradu
    The only thing in that article that hasn't been summerized/said before is the bit about a two-level backlight. Battery I guess to - but that didn't say much.

btw, the 270 uses the exact same caseing as the 180. (color might be different though..)
    Well, technically, the two-level backlight was mentioned by GregGaub in the "Seen it!" thread. And we already new about the improved battery based on the many posts here by people who have bought the recent version of the Treo.

It would have been to nice to have had a confirmation of the backlit keyboard that Greg's been teasing us about. Come on Greg, screw the NDA, spill the beans! I'm wondering though that if it is true, how would this affect the battery life...
    Originally posted by hmp32
    CDMA is more efficent with battery power which is one of the reasons why GSM and TMDA don't contain analog support.
    I can't see how that is relevant at all! GSM phones don't have analogue support because they don't need it. Most countries have properly developed GSM networks. There's no need for analogue fallback. Indeed, I don't think you'll find an analogue cellphone network anywhere in europe, and very few elsewhere.

People build standard GSM chipsets these days for mass markets. And mass markets don't have any need for analogue.

As for GSM's inefficiency with battery power, I've not noticed any great problems; my current Nokia is a couple of years old (ie pretty ancient by our standards) and will run for a few days at a time. The new models have a standby of over a week and several hours talk time.

Nigel.
    Originally posted by hmp32
    I've seen GSM and TDMA phones for sale in the US that offered analog support, especially TDMA ones. AT&T, for example, offers several TDMA phones with analog fallback and a lot of them have great battery life, such as the Nokia 8260. It is the analog network that drains batteries, not the TDMA or GSM network.
    What I am curious about is the effect that the color display may have on battery life. I could be wrong, but from my reading it seems like every color device in the past has taken a hit in battery life as the price of a color display. Shouldn't we expect the same from the Treo 270 vs. the 180? I am intrigued by the possibility of 144 kbps data on the 3G CDMA Sprint network, when compared to the 28.8 kbps data on the 2.5G GPRS networks. But I don't know if that increase is worth it to me if the battery life suffers, especially if it has a higher price than the 180. Even if it is a color device (which is always nice). I wonder why Handpsring isn't also introducing a CDMA version of the Treo 180, so that customers can decide the tradeoffs for themselves. Or maybe they are and I have just missed it...
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by nwhitfield

I can't see how that is relevant at all! GSM phones don't have analogue support because they don't need it. Most countries have properly developed GSM networks. There's no need for analogue fallback. Indeed, I don't think you'll find an analogue cellphone network anywhere in europe, and very few elsewhere.

Properly developed or not, Analog support in the US remains
    important until the FCC changes its rules.

GSM, technically speaking, isn't as efficent as CDMA period.
    Analog or not, CDMA is more efficent than GSM with battery
    life.

People build standard GSM chipsets these days for mass markets. And mass markets don't have any need for analogue.

Again, you are making the assumption that the US is often accused of: You assume because it isn't useful in your part
    of the world, it isn't important.

As for GSM's inefficiency with battery power, I've not noticed any great problems; my current Nokia is a couple of years old (ie pretty ancient by our standards) and will run for a few days at a time. The new models have a standby of over a week and several hours talk time.

Nigel.
    Well, from your above comments, it sounds like you don't have much experience with CDMA nor analog to compare either
    subjectively, let alone objectively, with each other.

-henry
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by skydog
    What I am curious about is the effect that the color display may have on battery life. I could be wrong, but from my reading it seems like every color device in the past has taken a hit in battery life as the price of a color display. Shouldn't we expect the same from the Treo 270 vs. the 180?

Well, the claim is that the color LCD will have no impact
    on power comsuption.

I am intrigued by the possibility of 144 kbps data on the 3G CDMA Sprint network, when compared to the 28.8 kbps data on the 2.5G GPRS networks. But I don't know if that increase is worth it to me if the battery life suffers, especially if it has a higher price than the 180. Even if it is a color device (which is always nice). I wonder why Handpsring isn't also introducing a CDMA version of the Treo 180, so that customers can decide the tradeoffs for themselves. Or maybe they are and I have just missed it...
    That is actually a good question, because certainly the higher
    bit rate may consume more power. However, since you'd be
    getting more data per unit of time, it may not be an issue.

-henry
    Originally posted by Felipe

From the article:

"This is still much higher than the GSM version, which has a max speed of 14.4 kbps, and even faster than a landline modem. "

This 14.4 speed is before the upgrade to What ever the other standard names is that is also coming out this quarter?
    The 14.4 speed is with the GPRS update coming soon.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Why, exactly, do we believe Donna when she says the CDMA color Treo will be out by the end of Q2? Come on, there are always last minute glitches, so if they SAY it will be out at the end of June, reality is much more likely to be end of Q3 or Q4.

I am also month to month on Sprint currently, and am leaning towards switching to Verizon for a year (mostly 'cause I think the Motorola V60 is the cool phone to buy these days - well, ok, that and the Eriksson/Sony T68i, but GSM coverage is terrible in my area) while Handspring works out the kinks in the CDMA version, and Sprint works out the 3G network.

Someone argue with me, please, since I really WANT the Treo, but my rational side is telling me to wait (isn't one of the cardinal rules of technology never buy version 1.0 of anything?)
    Originally posted by snackdog

The 14.4 speed is with the GPRS update coming soon.
    GPRS is much faster than 14.4 kbps. The slowest speeds that you will get is about 28 kbps. The CDMA Treo will be much faster with the 1xRTT 3G Speed.
    Handspring ahs learned from the Treo 180 so most of the major potential glitches in the Treo 270 and Treo CDMA should be worked out by them. BTW all devices have glitches of some kind...no electronic device is ever 100% perfect. The good thing with devices like the Treo is that they are software upgradeable.

Originally posted by paz5559
    Why, exactly, do we believe Donna when she says the CDMA color Treo will be out by the end of Q2? Come on, there are always last minute glitches, so if they SAY it will be out at the end of June, reality is much more likely to be end of Q3 or Q4.

I am also month to month on Sprint currently, and am leaning towards switching to Verizon for a year (mostly 'cause I think the Motorola V60 is the cool phone to buy these days - well, ok, that and the Eriksson/Sony T68i, but GSM coverage is terrible in my area) while Handspring works out the kinks in the CDMA version, and Sprint works out the 3G network.

Someone argue with me, please, since I really WANT the Treo, but my rational side is telling me to wait (isn't one of the cardinal rules of technology never buy version 1.0 of anything?)
    Originally posted by yardie

GPRS is much faster than 14.4 kbps. The slowest speeds that you will get is about 28 kbps. The CDMA Treo will be much faster with the 1xRTT 3G Speed.
    But the GSM Treo supports GPRS Class 2, which will provide two channels down and one channel up (otherwise know as "2+1"). I think each channel is 14.4 kbps, so that's 28.8 download and 14.4 upload.

It seems like the CDMA version will be faster.