1.    #1  
    Over on the Datebk4 discussion and beta test group, CESD (the creator, developer and supporter of Datebk4) announced that, with the next release, Datebk4 will become Datebk5. (Rather than Datebk4, Version 5).

If you're interested in the new features and capabilities, a pre-release manual is available for perusing. The last or next-to-last beta pre-release was released yesterday, so the Real McCoy should be out soon.

Not a big deal, but I thought you'd be interested. BTW, Datebk5 is being compiled and tested on the pre-release of Palm OS 5, as well as current (and existing ) PDAs.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    And it absolutely rocks. I have been using it since Beta Release pH and love all the new features and options.

Glad to see he went with Datebk5 over Datebk4 Release 5. There are many, many changes, enough to warrant the name change.

I love this application and the support that CESD provides.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Ditto ditto ditto
    Datebk4 (5 now) on a color device makes calendaring on a PDA as good as a paper calendar, better in fact. (Face it, there used to be reasons why a paper calendar was desirable)

CESD is without a doubt one of the most responsive developers out there and his support is peerless.

I whole-heartedly support the above endorsements of Datebk4/5. It is well worth the $$.
  4.    #4  
    And a big Amen to the praise of Datebk5 and CESD. I am massively impressed I am with Datebk5.

The drawback of power and configurability is complexity. Datebk5 is one of the most configurable apps I've ever run into, anywhere, on any platform -- that's its reason d'etre, after all. However, CESD has managed to constrain and minimize the complexity to the greatest degree possible.

This translates into the REAL feature: usefulness; and for me,
    Datebk5 is a necessity.

----

I am curious: what features, besides color and color icons (which are major additions) are you finding most useful in Datebk5?
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by bookrats
    I am curious: what features, besides color and color icons (which are major additions) are you finding most useful in Datebk5?
    Well, now that I'm back to a greyscale device, the greyscale options in db5 are great--especially backgrounds!

I'm also very happy with the revamped menu system and the little app plugs that go to custom views!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by septimus
    I'm also very happy with the revamped menu system and the little app plugs that go to custom views!
    That reminds me -- the tabbed preference dialog makes it much easier and more intuitive to keep track of all those options.
    Jeff Meyer

I love the month icon view for quick glance at what's coming up--that's the part I missed most about paper calendar. But the saved views are great, too. Also, in my line of work, things are often scheduled, then rescheduled, then rescheduled again. The strikethrough option allows me to keep track of that without confusing me as to when it actually takes place.

The tabbed preferences are a vast improvement and much easier to understand.