1.    #1  
    Well, to date, my 755 has been the best Palm phone I've owned. Tomorrow Verizon is supposed to get the Pre. After thinking long and hard, I'm making the switch.

ET
    Do you use the treo's calendar, memo and PIM apps heavily?

If so, think long and hard about this and TEST DRIVE the memo and calendar apps on the pre before you leap.

There is a notoriously long lag in the calendar app which nearly makes it unusable. The memo app is very very weak.

If you don't depend very heavily on those apps, then its not really a concern, but venture carefully before you give up what is a tank of a smartphone.

I've had my 755 for 2,5 years and still going strong. People have gone through 5-15 pres before finally getting one that isn't flawed in some way. BUYER BEWARE.

I am sorely due for an upgrade but would only go with a palm phone with fast PIM apps, a large screen and a big comfortable keyboard. Until then, I'm hanging with my tank of a treo smartphone...lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Do you use the treo's calendar, memo and PIM apps heavily?

If so, think long and hard about this and TEST DRIVE the memo and calendar apps on the pre before you leap.

There is a notoriously long lag in the calendar app which nearly makes it unusable. The memo app is very very weak.

If you don't depend very heavily on those apps, then its not really a concern, but venture carefully before you give up what is a tank of a smartphone.

I've had my 755 for 2,5 years and still going strong. People have gone through 5-15 pres before finally getting one that isn't flawed in some way. BUYER BEWARE.

I am sorely due for an upgrade but would only go with a palm phone with fast PIM apps, a large screen and a big comfortable keyboard. Until then, I'm hanging with my tank of a treo smartphone...lol.
    The calendar lag issue was largely resolved with the next-to-last update.

The memo app's fine. It just doesn't natively back up to anywhere but your Palm Profile. That's worked fine, for me.

That said, I highly recommend anyone try out a phone extensively before committing. (Nexus One notwithstanding.) As much as I love my Pre, I think it works for me largely because I was so used to it due to playing with the demo model.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I was thinking of "upgrading" to a Pre at the end of this year, but after reading treobk214's and west3man's posts I just want to keep my 755p forever. I use my calendar heavily, and now I'll never let it go!
    What did I say about the calendar that turned you away?
    I finally laid my Treo 755p to rest a couple months ago. I had been using the Pre since the first day it came out. For a long time, I always kept my 755p in my pocket with me in case I needed it. It seemed the only thing I needed my 755p for was the Splashmoney checkbook program. However, I've now been using another checkbook program for the Pre, and so now my 755p is pretty much never used anymore. I'm not going to sell my 755p though, because I will keep it in my closet for backup information. The 755p web browser is sooooooooo lame compared to the Pre browser. I was constantly disappointed with the 755p browser. I can now do so much more with the Pre browser to the point where I don't even miss PdaNet tethering on the 755p anymore. Anyway, you will enjoy your Pre. Yes, it has a lame calendar function, yes it has an even lamer memo function, but I've learned to adapt. Synching to the clouds was at first a bit scary, but even this I've learned to adapt. Nowadays, there are so many cool apps available for the Pre. The first several months, it seemed like there was nothing but very limited and lame apps available for the Pre, but now there are some seriously good stuff available in the App Store for the Pre. By the way, I'm still on my very first Pre from day one, and it's still running great.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had a Treo 755p. Dropped it for the Palm Pre and never looked back.
    Ditched my 755p, played with the Pixi and Palm Pre- and bought an Iphone.

No comparison. Sorry.
    Handspring Visor with Sprint Springboard - Treo 270 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Iphone 3gs
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869 View Post
    Ditched my 755p, played with the Pixi and Palm Pre- and bought an Iphone.

No comparison. Sorry.
    No need to apologize. You want something different than some - like me.

Good luck.
  10.    #10  
    OP here. Just an update. I'm loving my Pre. Even though the 755p was a gem I'm so glad I changed. The fact u can install patches is what really makes webOS.

I am a heavy calendar user and the calendar in the Treo was better. However, patches and updates and making it better.

ET